Proposal: Thank you Alfie avatars and Signatures

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He has been our franchise player and a fan favourite for many years. And he made a lot of sacrifices to help this team.

And now many are mad because we couldnt sign him and trade him for a 2nd rounder or something? We would have been ok if we coulda traded him to a contender? He owes us that even though he said, as many players say, they dont want to be parachuted in as a mercenary to a playoff team?

Doesnt sound like heart felt love as much as selfishness.

Good luck alfie. Greatest Senator eva. Number will be retired in the rafters once fans get over the initial shock.

We're unhappy because he made it look like he was returning, but never made it clear enough that he was considering other options.

It's the shock factor that is so disappointing.

You should see something like this coming - not get blind sided at the last minute.

Vicarious

Oct 11, 2007
Toronto
To the people saying you now hate Alfredsson and calling him a traitor, grow up. This man gave us 17 years of service and he put up with both good and bad times. He has earned the right to do whatever he wants. Remember, Ottawa *DRAFTED* him, he never chose to play here, but he stayed with the team for practically his entire career. Show some respect to the man who helped make this team a treat to watch in the early - mid 2000's.

Nothing but respect for you Alfie, you will always be our captain. Thank you for everything and I hope you do well in Detroit. You owe Ottawa nothing else.

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
We could have had Conroy instead.

The only thing that I dislike about this, is that Detroit is in our division now aren't they?

misha1976

Mar 2, 2012
Delhi, India
I understand that there's a lot of anger and shock right now and I really wish it didn't have to end this way. For me, however, I'm saving my hate for Melnyk. Thanks Alfie for all your years of hardwork and dedication. I hope there's a place for you in the organization after you retire.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
To the people saying you now hate Alfredsson and calling him a traitor, grow up. This man gave us 17 years of service and he put up with both good and bad times. He has earned the right to do whatever he wants. Remember, Ottawa *DRAFTED* him, he never chose to play here, but he stayed with the team for practically his entire career. Show some respect to the man who helped make this team a treat to watch in the early - mid 2000's.

Nothing but respect for you Alfie, you will always be our captain. Thank you for everything and I hope you do well in Detroit. You owe Ottawa nothing else.
For millions and millions of dollars. Don't forget that.

Vicarious

Oct 11, 2007
Toronto
For millions and millions of dollars. Don't forget that.

Its all relative to the game of hockey though. We see many athletes take money, bail on teams, and do other frowned upon actions. I'm not suggesting we have to pity a man that made millions, but we shouldn't forget what he did do for this team. When we had the CASH line, he took a discount to keep it all together. Lets just be happy we had privilege of watching a player of Alfie's caliber, night in and night out, for 17 years.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
Thanks for destroying your surefire legacy as the most popular athlete ever in this city and bailing to a second-rate contender in a ****hole city for the final year of your career so that you won't be wearing our jersey when you hang them up.

Too long for a signature?

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
Anyone who is ungrateful for what Alfie has done for us, I don't know what to say to you.

Greatest Senator of all time. His number will be retired when all is said and done.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Thanks for destroying your surefire legacy as the most popular athlete ever in this city and bailing to a second-rate contender in a ****hole city for the final year of your career so that you won't be wearing our jersey when you hang them up.

Too long for a signature?

Nope

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
I appreciate what Alfie did, but I'm not going to cheer for him in Detroit or do an Alfie-tar.

He always said if he was going to win, he wanted it to be with the Sens. Obviously that's not the case. Not only that, he goes to a middle of the pack detroit. This is isn't like joining a first place pittsburg a few weeks before playoffs. It's essentially saying, I think Sens won't be good, I rather risk a full year with another team.

That's fine, don't get me wrong, but no one can say he isn't doing this for himself. His loyalty image is tainted imo with this move.

Again, I appreciate what he did here, but I cheer for the Ottawa Senators, not the Daniel Alfredssons.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
When he retires, we can do this... for now, he's nothing but another dude on another team, i won't participate

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
This. Why are people holding such a grudge when just yesterday they worshiped him. This is a professional business, and as much as it feels like my dog just got hit by a bus, I will always love Alfie.

Hold on - if it's a professional business why would you love one of the professionals?

They're just doing their jobs. It's like loving a mercenary.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
We're unhappy because he made it look like he was returning, but never made it clear enough that he was considering other options.

It's the shock factor that is so disappointing.

You should see something like this coming - not get blind sided at the last minute.

Why should any fan see something like this coming? None of us are on the inside, all we hear are the official sound bytes and of course the never ending rumours.

IMO the conditions for this exact thing to happen were there for all to see.

The organization from top to bottom said all the right things, yet obviously thought Alfie was a sure thing based on the first official meeting between Barry and Murray.

The first clue something was amiss, Alfie told the Swedish media he intended to play another year, he did not call the Senators.

The second clue, the Sens make their first and only financial offer, somewhere between $3.5M-$4M for 1 year, where reports indicated Alfie was looking for $6M/year for 2 years.

For an organization that shouted from the rooftops how important Alfie was to the organization, the face of the franchise, why low ball him?

Murray should have had the OK from EM to immediately accept the $6M figure and sent Barry back to Alfie with the clear message the only discussion required was structure and term.

Under no circumstances should Barry have been told to take this initial offer to Alfie believing the words "this is how negotiations work" were in anyway applicable in this particular situation.

While Alfie from the pure playing perspective isn't worth $6M, everything else associated with his name was worth substantially more to the Ottawa Senators.

IMO this situation has all the earmarks of the organization taking Alfie for granted.

Why suddenly did Alfie decide having a ring was important enough to uproot his family from a city he loved, to chase his dream? Why not last year when the team definitely wasn't considered a contender?

IMO Alfie was shown a lack of respect and anything that followed that initial offer too little too late.

While I don't believe the decision was about money, in circumstances like these how else does a player measure the value an organization has for him or the level of respect for his contributions?

It is always easy to claim the team did everything it could, but like most things in life timing is everything.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
No. The whole thing leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I have lost respect for him unfortunately.

Liliaceae

hockey
Jun 21, 2007
Canada
Ok.

Thank you for leaving us. Thank you for leaving your teammates. I hope they take what you've done and that they play their ***** off next season to show you that you were wrong.

GO SENS GO!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad