GDT: Th3 P3g @ C4pIt4ls. 12:30pm EST. Cap One.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Rather have another top tier prospect than a failed playoff run. Been watching those for decades outside of 98 & 18.
They were never going to be getting a top 5 pick while Ovy is playing.

Please tell me you’ve come to terms with that, as everyone under the sun, within the franchise, has stated as such.

Pining for one is wild.

This draft is NOT like last years. #12 or #10 or #14 isn’t that materially better than #17 or #19.

It’s just a lot of kvetching for nothing, IMO

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don’t get the fascination of a lottery pick. Consider these picks:
* McMichael at 25th pick
* Lapierre at 22
* Miro at 20
* Fever in Second round
* Protas in third round
* Malenstyn in 5th round.

We have like the third or fourth most picks in the next three drafts. We have the fourth most picks in the first three rounds in the next three drafts.

Cryistall can’t even play in AHL next year because of age. We got Funk undrafted. We got Stevenson undrafted. I could go on.

Point is, we can draft well without picking in the top 5. Sure we are lacking a top line forward and a top defenseman in our pipeline (for now).

I just wonder how active we can even be in Free Agency with so many young guns looking to secure top 9 slots. But not even thinking about that right now as there is still a lot of meaningful hockey to play this season.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Caps could add a 11-13m/yr salary next year, if they wanted to. They got like 20m in cap space, and only need to resign 24 & 47. Adding this 2 and said expensive salary would give them 18 skaters and 2 G’s. Would need 2-3 more skaters with 7-9m. They are in GOOD shape

Reactions: DWGie26

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Our Cap space is rediculous right now given (cheap) youth is ready to play. I spiked this up on CapFriendly including resigning McMichael and Beck. I probably have them low, especially McMichael who is now playing himself into a contract more like Protas (or higher). But even with these signings we have $13M in cap space. I’m just not sure where i would send. And do you keep Miro up next year? Does Leonard come to WSH? Does Oshie LTIRetire?

IMG_0050.jpeg

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Our Cap space is rediculous right now given (cheap) youth is ready to play. I spiked this up on CapFriendly including resigning McMichael and Beck. I probably have them low, especially McMichael who is now playing himself into a contract more like Protas (or higher). But even with these signings we have $13M in cap space. I’m just not sure where i would send. And do you keep Miro up next year? Does Leonard come to WSH? Does Oshie LTIRetire?

View attachment 841180
Protas contract is weird because it's 5 years. I'm not sure McMichael comes in at 2.5 but I'm also fairly sure he would be better off signing a short bridge than giving them 5 years at whatever amount. I'm really speculating but Protas seems like a guy with very little pedigree who went from mid-round pick to a guy with the opportunity to earn a few million a year and took it, even if it means trading some valuable years in the process, and is kind of just happy to be here and not concerned with what others are making because the extra few million is already gravy to the guy.

Conrad McManus... maybe the team is just slow but McMichael put on some serious wheels this year and looks like he's still building, if I were him I'd maybe think about a 2 year bridge and an opportunity to prove myself. I once called him an IQ player who seems to take time at every level to figure out how to get away with the things he wants to do, but once that pops he just "gets it". It hasn't fully popped at the NHL level yet, so in response he's added to his tools and seen some strong improvements...

I wouldn't be surprised if a 2 year bridge wouldn't both give him a little security and also let him beef up the rest of his game. It seems to me like his IQ is catching up to what he can do, and we've certainly seen him taking more risks and making fancy touches in the later parts of this season... next year could be a big one and a 2 year seems like the perfect window for them to see what's what for both parties. If he doesn't fully open up by then they can still try for a lockdown contract with term on an offensive 3C, and if he does they negotiate in good faith.

Reactions: DWGie26

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Washington was fortunate to not be in the cellar a few months ago, but they have played legitimately pretty well the last 20 games. Above 50% xG share, hot power play, a good starting goalie and decent defensive metrics. They are a cut above the other WC hopefuls right now, even if they are a cut below the top of the East.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
* McMichael at 25th pick
* Lapierre at 22
* Miro at 20
* Fever in Second round
* Protas in third round

We have like the third or fourth most picks in the next three drafts. We have the fourth most picks in the first three rounds in the next three drafts.

Cryistall can’t even play in AHL next year because of age. We got Funk undrafted. We got Stevenson undrafted. I could go on.

Point is, we can draft well without picking in the top 5. Sure we are lacking a top line forward and a top defenseman in our pipeline (for now).

I just wonder how active we can even be in Free Agency with so many young guns looking to secure top 9 slots. But not even thinking about that right now as there is still a lot of meaningful hockey to play this season.

Another thing the Caps have we didn't in our time is UFAs actually want to come here now.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
On the other side of the Atlantic ocean, listened to 32 thoughts and accidentally spoiled the game gor myself. But very happy with 2 points, 2 Ovi goals and 1 SO. And is it just me or does Miro look like young Ovi when skating around? Maybe just the jersey tuck (which i saw Ovi did aswell this game).

And the celebration on Carlsons goal tells me this team is hungry and on the hunt. Really refreshing to be getting these vibes from the Caps!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
* McMichael at 25th pick
* Lapierre at 22
* Miro at 20
* Fever in Second round
* Protas in third round

Another thing the Caps have we didn't in our time is UFAs actually want to come here now.
Yep. They have gotten great upside from their later-first picks. And obviously Lenny last draft is looking like a stud. And yeah, there's more than one way to get high-end talent. The assets they have are tradeable for the right guy, and it's true that UFAs want to play here.

Look at the state of Pittsburgh vs Caps. Ours is a lower-talent roster on paper, but we have balanced integrating youth, leveraging the remaining years of the skilled vets, and building a stable of assets. IMO the future is bright, and whether they make the 'loffs this year or not, BMac has done a terrific job managing the transition.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad