Toronto FC: TFC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Soccer = sport with 90% boredom with 10% of excitement thrown somewhere in between; players act like prima donna, dive like they have been shot from a sniper rifle

Soccer is really a lame sport

It's only exciting when shots on goal happen

Is that a bad thing? Oh and when corner kicks happen

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Wasn't there a home-and-away setup going on in these finals? They play in Toronto then in Seattle and whoever scores more wins. Or something like that.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Here come the dumb bandwagoners with ideas about how to make soccer better (I'm one of them) why not have less players on the field for OT.

They have 90 minutes to score, if they're playing too defensively take out like 3 players a side and open it up. Let someone win as a team playing on the field from end to end.

Maybe do away with offside rule in OT or something.

That was just lame watching a champion crowned in a shootout (granted I'd probably be like ok sure if TFC won)

Agreed. Some sort of mix of what u suggest. It's ridiculous as it stands.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

A team that literally does nothing until a crapshoot wins! Lol soccer

That's soccer for you. Hell, sadly, this **** is more common than you think. Look at this past Euro tournament. Portugal won the Euro cup by literally playing this exact same way. Just straight up bunker ball their way to a title.

It's this kinda stuff that just drives me away from soccer and only makes me watch it on a part time basis whenever the major tournaments are around.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The feeling of beating Montreal in the conference final eases the pain of losing tonight in PKs in a game that we dominated.

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
Such an awful way to lose but I'm still so glad I braved the cold to see it live - what an atmosphere!

And people who were frustrated by the lack of chances should look at the ref over the rules. TFC scored a ton these playoffs when the ref enforced the rules of this game but this guy let Seattle mug and feign injury all the way to a Cup

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Thats soccer.

Cant keep doing OT, not in soccer.

I keep seeing this but why not? Every other major league team sport does this. If contact sports like football and hockey can play for multiple quarters/periods, games lasting for hours on end why can't these soccer players?

Now as you can probably tell, I'm not a fan of soccer. This was my first time watching a match of soccer which I did to indulge my friend who is a soccer fan. After seeing a team win a championship without a single shot on goal, I think it's safe to say this is not a sport for me. I'll stick to the major league sports that reward team efforts and putting it all on the line.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
You would have to increase the amount of subs then.

It's not like hockey or basketball where you can change lines and swap players. Or like football or baseball where the players have constant breaks.

I keep seeing this but why not? Every other major league team sport does this. If contact sports like football and hockey can play for multiple quarters/periods, games lasting for hours on end why can't these soccer players?

Now as you can probably tell, I'm not a fan of soccer. This was my first time watching a match of soccer which I did to indulge my friend who is a soccer fan. After seeing a team win a championship without a single shot on goal, I think it's safe to say this is not a sport for me. I'll stick to the major league sports that reward team efforts and putting it all on the line.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

They might get a leg cramp and have to be substituted?

You can't mess with the sanctity of soccer, there must be penalty kicks to decide championship games it's centuries old tradition. :sarcasm:

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
That was hilarious. Hopefully the last game of soccer I'm ever forced to sit through

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
They might get a leg cramp and have to be substituted?

You can't mess with the sanctity of soccer, there must be penalty kicks to decide championship games it's centuries old tradition. :sarcasm:

After the last 30 min extra time, some of the players on the field have ran close to 20 miles. I love seeing dumb comments like this from people who have no idea what they are talking about, continuous OT does not work in soccer, players do not get 40 second shifts like in hockey.

That being said, I hate PK's as well :)

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
After the last 30 min extra time, some of the players on the field have ran close to 20 miles. I love seeing dumb comments like this from people who have no idea what they are talking about, continuous OT does not work in soccer, players do not get 40 second shifts like in hockey.

That being said, I hate PK's as well :)

Good post. Agreed.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario

Because shifts don't exist in soccer. The closest you get are the three substitutions and once a player is subbed off, he's off for good. On average, players run 7.5 miles per 90-minute game. Obviously, this becomes even longer if the game goes to extra time like it did tonight. Soccer is probably one of the most physically demanding sports (yes, even including sports like hockey, rugby, and football) out there already. Forcing players to play for an undefined time until a goal is scored is bordering on inhumane.

FYI, the golden goal format (what hockey uses) was used by FIFA between 1992 and 2004 before being scrapped for the current format. The reason for the repeal? Because teams played too cautiously in extra time and just held off for penalties.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Because shifts don't exist in soccer. The closest you get are the three substitutions and once a player is subbed off, he's off for good. On average, players run 7.5 miles per 90-minute game. Obviously, this becomes even longer if the game goes to extra time like it did tonight. Soccer is probably one of the most physically demanding sports (yes, even including sports like hockey, rugby, and football) out there already. Forcing players to play for an undefined time until a goal is scored is bordering on inhumane.

FYI, the golden goal format (what hockey uses) was used by FIFA between 1992 and 2004 before being scrapped for the current format. The reason for the repeal? Because teams played too cautiously in extra time and just held off for penalties.

So take players off in OT and open it up, and don't have the possibility for PK and fatigue will decide the game which seems fair enough to me.

I get these guys run a lot, but I swear there's like a dozen guys on the sidelines warming up while the game is going. Allow more substitutions in OT. Heck allow endless substitutions but only during stoppage, allow guys that were previously substituted to come back.

I just think there are solutions to this type of ending to a game and football people are really reluctant to try something different. The PK is just a really lame way to end such a tight match IMO.

But I'm not a fan (love the Euro and World cup though) so I'll leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad