News Article: Text from Richards relaxes Giroux

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
"It wasn't going right, and I got a nice text from Mike Richards. … I think he gave me a boost to relax and play the game," Giroux told NHL.com on Tuesday prior to playing the Ottawa Senators at Wells Fargo Center. "It's a great game. There's a reason why we play in the NHL. It's because we know what we're doing. It's just about going back to basics, going out there, have fun, play the game."

Giroux couldn't remember exactly when he got that text from Richards, the former Flyers captain who is now playing for the Los Angeles Kings. He said it was a couple of weeks ago, well before he scored his first goal of the season against the Edmonton Oilers on Nov. 9.

He also wouldn't reveal what Richards wrote in that text message, but it was enough to lift Giroux's spirits and get him pointed in the right direction.

"It's easy for people to be like, 'Just go and score a goal,'" Giroux said. "To hear it [from Richards], it kind of made me just relax and think about how I'm lucky enough to play this game for a living. I'm in one of the great organizations and we have fans that cheer their heart out. Just looking at the position I'm in now, I feel really lucky, and it just makes me more motivated to play better."

Sure, it helps that the Flyers have started to win a few games, but for Giroux, the credit for his attitude adjustment goes to Richards, one of the few guys in the world who could feel his pain.

"I talk to him once in a while, but yeah, obviously he played here; he was captain," Giroux said. "It was nice for him to reach out and talk to me a little bit."

Link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=692275&navid=nhl:topheads

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I would imagine. Tim P was already starting with his "the captain needs to answer our question when the team is struggling" bs.

I think so too. If I were to guess, he told him to ignore the morons who write nonsense (or make up **** if the spirit moves them) and just go play. Play for the love of the game and let all the other crap slide.

Seriously, what a friggen' dirtbag.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Nothing like a motivational text/tweet vs an actual call or speech....140 characters max is all it takes these days it seems. Maybe that is what captains and coaches should do ..just text and tweet before, during and after games. Lavi should do that in his next job stint if he gets one in the NHL

Lavi text: You pieces o crap r playing like a steaming pile.....imagine me smashing a coke machine right now! arrrrrrrrrr! :sarcasm:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think so too. If I were to guess, he told him to ignore the morons who write nonsense (or make up **** if the spirit moves them) and just go play. Play for the love of the game and let all the other crap slide.

Seriously, what a friggen' dirtbag.

Yep.

I imagine Richards read a couple articles from the Philly media, spent most of an afternoon powervomiting from the deja vu, then barely managed to get the text out to Giroux as the blood loss from his dehydrated and eroded esophagus made him black out.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I bet it related to not allowing the media morons get to him.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I do miss watching them PK. How many times did they generate more quality scoring chances than the opposing PP?

Yeah, since Richards left the Flyers pk has not been a threat at all. in the past 150 regular season games (since Richards departure) the Flyers have 8 shorthanded goals. In Richie's last season here the Flyers had 12. :laugh:

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Yeah, since Richards left the Flyers pk has not been a threat at all. in the past 150 regular season games (since Richards departure) the Flyers have 8 shorthanded goals. In Richie's last season here the Flyers had 12. :laugh:

The teeter totter has swung the other way. In the 164 games immediately prior to the trade, the Kings had 8 SH goals; the 152 games since, they have 15.

It's unfortunate Richards isn't the PK'er he once was.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Nothing like a motivational text/tweet vs an actual call or speech....140 characters max is all it takes these days it seems. Maybe that is what captains and coaches should do ..just text and tweet before, during and after games. Lavi should do that in his next job stint if he gets one in the NHL

Lavi text: You pieces o crap r playing like a steaming pile.....imagine me smashing a coke machine right now! arrrrrrrrrr! :sarcasm:

Or if you have an iPhone, which most likely do in the nhl, there isn't really a limit on the character limit

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Thats cool to see. It also says a lot about Richards as a teammate and a person. Not only that he made the effort to text G...but that G has that much respect for Richards by how much the text meant to him.

It also says a lot about how bad the sports media in the city really is. I honestly feel embarrassed by how bad the coverage of the Flyers is. If they arent stirring up drama...they are repeating boring cookie cutter story lines or tweeting about Pearl Jam concerts and cats. Meltzer is the only breath of fresh air.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Still have my Richards jersey and he's still one of my favorite players.

If only the Kings fanbase on this site wasn't turrible I'd be rooting for that team again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad