Terrible world cup ideas

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
...and with that in mind the scheduled today makes perfect sense, since it does not clash with any other major european sporting events, like the start or the end of the major football leagues, or the finals of the domestic football cups, or the finals of the UEFA cups. And so on...

I dont see better time for WC neither. In case of postponing they would have to postpone all european leagues otherwise there would be more than 2 months gap between end of regular season and WC. I guess noone wants to see this event in August or September shortly before the season starts. Timing is best possible IMO.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I agree that there is no reasonable way to fix it at this point. I don't think there is any reason for a person in North America to complain about anything the IIHF has done since around 1977. It does a decent job of balancing the demands of various members. The reputation of the IIHF WC in North America is clearly the fault of the IIHF though. Perhaps if the IIHF hadn't spent over half a century tarnishing the tournament in North America then there would be some desire for accommodations to be made. As it stands now, the IIHF World Championship at least looks much better than this upcoming World Cup abomination.

The IIHF has made an effort to accommodate the NHL schedule over the years. It seems to me that, back in 1977, the tournament was held near the middle of April. They've pushed it back a full month since then, but it doesn't make sense to push it back any further. 22 of 30 NHL teams are eliminated by the time the tournament starts every year, and by the drop dead date, probably 26 are eliminated. I think its close enough to allow the majority of NHL talent to participate if they choose to.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The IIHF has made an effort to accommodate the NHL schedule over the years. It seems to me that, back in 1977, the tournament was held near the middle of April. They've pushed it back a full month since then, but it doesn't make sense to push it back any further. 22 of 30 NHL teams are eliminated by the time the tournament starts every year, and by the drop dead date, probably 26 are eliminated. I think its close enough to allow the majority of NHL talent to participate if they choose to.

Yep, since that time the IIHF has been quite accommodating. It's too bad the damage was pretty much already done. It's clear too that the NHL isn't going to do anything to accommodate that tournament either. Why the league chooses to ruin its own tournament is beyond me though.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Yes, it's been a popular claim by the usual IIHF dissers that the best players in the wolrd are playing in the playoffs during the tournament when actually it's the best club teams that season that are still playing. Many of the best players in the league have commonly been knocked out already. I mean, the suppposed top 3 players in the league, Crosby, Ovie and Malkin were all playing at the Worlds this year.

Last edited:

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
741,700 fans attended the World Championships this year.

Fans from all of Europe, North America, and other tourists from around the WORLD visiting one of the World's most beautiful cities took part in the event.

Who is going to travel to see the nhl cup in Toronto from Russia? From Finland? From Sweden, from Denmark? Who is going to fly from cities across the United States to waste their money on an event that is meaningless and spend time in Toronto. No offense to Toronto but it's not in the same breath as most European cities.

NO ONE.

A tournament is not made by the players. It's made by the fans and the care level of the people and communities in their respective countries.

The World Juniors passion that drives Canada across the holiday season does not require the ''Worlds best'' to entertain them, it's the event that stokes their passion for the Hockey.

Who across even Canada is talking and awaiting the nhl world cup?

How many in Canada even know about it?

If I'm not mistaken over 15 million tuned in to the World Junior final, do you expect even half of that amount to watch Hockey in september?

I don't think so.

This tournament is a failure on all levels. Hope it fails so bad the nhl is completely embarassed and the laugh of the sporting world. This league needs to suffer.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Not everyone watches the world championships or world juniors. I can't understand why anyone would want the world cup to fail and out right hate it, lol. I still watch the world championships even though I would prefer the world cup. I don't hate it and hope that it fails simply because many players don't want to play in it.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Not everyone watches the world championships or world juniors. I can't understand why anyone would want the world cup to fail and out right hate it, lol. I still watch the world championships even though I would prefer the world cup. I don't hate it and hope that it fails simply because many players don't want to play in it.

Lol if you don't watch the Hockey presented at these events your missing Hockey which is way superior to the level of play which is presented in the nhl.

International Hockey is the way Hockey is suppose to be played, not like robots in the nhl. I think Ray Ferraro had the line of the year when GorD Miller said, this is Hockey at it's finest.

''The coaches in the nhl haven't ruined them yet that's why.''

The nhl product is a disgrace. Too many players, too many teams, too much crappy games.

People are only hating it because it wants to use this a stepping stone to replacing the Olympics. Otherwise no one would even talk about this event.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

Fans from all of Europe, North America, and other tourists from around the WORLD visiting one of the World's most beautiful cities took part in the event.

Who is going to travel to see the nhl cup in Toronto from Russia? From Finland? From Sweden, from Denmark? Who is going to fly from cities across the United States to waste their money on an event that is meaningless and spend time in Toronto. No offense to Toronto but it's not in the same breath as most European cities.

NO ONE.

A tournament is not made by the players. It's made by the fans and the care level of the people and communities in their respective countries.

The World Juniors passion that drives Canada across the holiday season does not require the ''Worlds best'' to entertain them, it's the event that stokes their passion for the Hockey.

If I'm not mistaken over 15 million tuned in to the World Junior final, do you expect even half of that amount to watch Hockey in september?

I don't think so.

This tournament is a failure on all levels. Hope it fails so bad the nhl is completely embarassed and the laugh of the sporting world. This league needs to suffer.

Not so many NA fans attend WHC. There are always plenty of canadians but almost no fans from USA. I was in bronze medal game and I did not meet any us fan.... World cup is mostly for NA fans. Toronto is probably only one destination where people are able to pay ridiculous prices for matches like Russia - Finland without being heavily dependent on away fans.... I would definetely not spend money to go to Toronto. I assume the ticket would be for 250 CAD or smth like this, then flights, accomm. Assuming that there will be just NA fans, I would miss that melting pot where fans all over the world are cheering.

It also depends on what NHL expect from that tourney. I.e. how big the income should be. Thefore you can probably organize it just in Toronto. This IS also probably the reason for U23 and EUteam. Too much business. Just be it and we will see.....

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Lol if you don't watch the Hockey presented at these events your missing Hockey which is way superior to the level of play which is presented in the nhl.

International Hockey is the way Hockey is suppose to be played, not like robots in the nhl. I think Ray Ferraro had the line of the year when GorD Miller said, this is Hockey at it's finest.

The nhl product is a disgrace. Too many players, too many teams, too much crappy games.

People are only hating it because it wants to use this a stepping stone to replacing the Olympics. Otherwise no one would even talk about this event.

Surely you must expect that the caliber of hockey at the World Cup featuring most if not all of the World's best players will be excellent?

roto

Oct 26, 2009
How seriously do you think the players will take this tournament?
- It's played just before the regular season starts
- It's an NHL exhibition tournament with non-national teams
- Players are obligated to participate because it's their job. Players need to attend even the totally meaningless all-stars event

For players who have established a stable position in their NHL teams the World Cup may not be a problem, but what about those who still have a lot of to prove to get a proper contract and/or bigger role? It'd be a disaster for those guys to get injured just before the season starts. Worst scenario would be to get injured while blocking a shot of some NA U23 team.

Playing in internationational tournaments is supposed ti be voluntary, so those ones play who are willing to to play for their country. It's about playing for the country and not about being at work and getting paid. Especially WHC is criticized because a lot of players decline, but at the same time it's a good thing: motivated players are in. It makes no sense to have an international tournament which is players' job or where the players are "forced" to participate.

The way NHL is arranging the tournament suggests that revenues are driver number one, so player association is responsible to make sure the top players are in. For tournament like this it's absolutely essential that the top players are in. For WHC having top players in is just a plus.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
For players who have established a stable position in their NHL teams the World Cup may not be a problem, but what about those who still have a lot of to prove to get a proper contract and/or bigger role? It'd be a disaster for those guys to get injured just before the season starts. Worst scenario would be to get injured while blocking a shot of some NA U23 team.

Trust me, no player will attempt to block a puck because of some NA Young Gunz team. :laugh:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

While i hate the new World Cup format i won't accept someone trashing the NHL product. It is still pound for pound the best non NFL ticket of the major sports in the regular season and then the playoffs deliver take it up another level completely.

Feel free to take a swipe at the World Cup but the NHL product is damn good.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
With some national and some made-up teams, I'd expect the players' motivation to be somewhere between that of an All-Star game and of a proper national tournament.

At least six such games, yes.

The Leftovers and Young Gunz have no reason to give it 100%. Absolutely none.

You think a Canada vs Russia game or a USA vs Russia game is going to be tame? You think the NA U23 team is going to try to beat Russia? Finnish players don't care if they beat Sweden because of young gunz team? Czechs won't try to beat Canada in Canada? Canada and USA have a few beers together during the intermissions of their game? Euro team will not try against Canada or Russia or USA?

I think a few of you guys are letting your emotions cloud judgement.

Last edited:

MTLAzzurri

Mar 2, 2013
People are just salty, I guarantee the World Cup will be a huge success, making millions for the owners and the players, whilst the hater ITT will go back crying to Rene Fasel.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
I think that for this tournament, they should do away with the national teams all together and just make 8 corporately sponsored all star teams with the best NHLers with a sprinkle of KHLers too. That way you actually end up with the top 160 or so ranked players in the world, therefore, making it the BEST 8 TEAMS that could ever be assembled PERIOD.
Call it the 2016 NHL ALL STAR TOURNAMENT (not the world cup), do away with an all star game every year. The NHL gets their cashgrab, best on best olympic hockey doesnt get ruined, and the fans only have to tolerate the all star crap one late august every 4 years. win win win

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

NO ONE.

I don't think so.

It is a TV product first a foremost.

Look at how many people watched the Olympics in Canada or the US. They didn't watch because of the name value of the Olympics, they watched because it is the peak of international competition where they know all the best names will be playing. Take NHL players out of the Olympics, and significantly less people will care.

The reason significantly fewer people care about the IIHF World Championship is because of the perception that it is a B-level tournament with leftover players.

NHL's version of the world cup may not draw ratings comparable to the Olympics the first few times around, but if they do it for long enough, pull out of the Olympics, and educate fans to the concept that the World Cup is the peak of competition (similar to how the Olympics has been since 1998) it will draw the same TV ratings as the Olympics and become a big money maker for the NHL.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Will this tournament be a financial success? Probably. Kinda hard to screw it up from a financial perspective when you have the majority of the world's best players in your league. And force them to participate. Sponsors will pay and people will tune in no matter what.

So what?

Justin Beiber's tour's make a lot of money. So does reality TV. And Sandra Bulock's movies gross millions. And guess what? They all SUCK.

Enjoy this farce of a tournament. The joke's on you. Suckers.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Justin Beiber's tour's make a lot of money. So does reality TV. And Sandra Bulock's movies gross millions. And guess what? They all SUCK.
From a scientific perspective, a thing that garners such an audience can't suck. It's evidence in itself that there are people who appreciate it.

They just aren't us.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yes, i's been a popular claim byt the usual IIHF dissers that the best players in the wolrd are playing in the playoffs during the tournament when actually it's the best club teams that season that are still playing. Many of the best players in the league have commonly been knocked out already. I mean, the suppposed top 3 players in the league, Crosby, Ovie and Malkin were all playing at the Worlds this year.

Good point. According to Jim Nill of the Dallas Stars and Team Canada, the reason so many big names turned out for Canada this year is that the players wanted to boost their candidacy for the World Cup. If that is true, expect the same turnout in Moscow in 2016.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It certainly helps to establish the reputation of the World Championship as a feeder tournament for other, more important tourneys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad