Terrible world cup ideas

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
http://www.tsn.ca/young-guns-and-euro-all-star-team-to-be-featured-in-world-cup-of-hockey-1.187717

NHL and NHLPA executives are expected to announce on Friday the details of the rekindled World Cup of Hockey, a tournament that will feature eight teams, including two unconventional ones.

Besides Canada, the U.S., Russia, Sweden, the Czech Republic and Finland, the league and union will announce a European All-Star team will participate. That team will be stocked with players who come from countries other than those participating as nations.

Also, the tournament will feature a team with North American players under the age of 23.
An executive with an NHL sponsor confirmed the details to TSN.
The tournament will also feature a best-of-three final...

That's what every kid dreams of.. playing against his own country to fight the honour of his age group :help:

PlayTheHockey*

First post...

To demonstrate how stupid this idea is, imagine if the 2010 Olympics had have been played under this World Cup format.

Crosby, who scored the OT winner in the Gold Medal Game, would have been ineligible to play for Team Canada under the new World Cup roster rules, as he was only 22 years old. Instead, he would have been forced to play for the Young Guns team. The best player in the world wouldn't have been allowed to play for his National Team. He would have had to play for some gimmick team.

Toews and Doughty too.

That is 3 big pieces of the Gold Medal winning team.

The proposed format will turn the World Cup into a farce.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Young Stars are going to win gold!!!!!!!!!!!

McDavid, Eichel, Ekblad, Forsberg, Monahan, Gaudreau..............

I love it. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Pretty sure only people who really love the NHL all-star games will be fans of this. Otherwise I have no idea who could possibly like this setup.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Pretty sure only people who really love the NHL all-star games will be fans of this. Otherwise I have no idea who could possibly like this setup.

I can't believe someone from Sweden is crapping on this. This event will be great because the IOC and their garbage rules and politics will have nothing to do with this.

At least now if your team makes it to the gold medal game, you don't have to worry about losing your top C for having 1.4X the legal amount of cough syrup in his system.

I can't believe that people are so willing to put up with the IOC and all of their crap.

I want this to be a huge success and then the NHL can tell the IOC to go suck an egg.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I can't believe someone from Sweden is crapping on this. This event will be great because the IOC and their garbage rules and politics will have nothing to do with this.

At least now if your team makes it to the gold medal game, you don't have to worry about losing your top C for having 1.4X the legal amount of cough syrup in his system.

I can't believe that people are so willing to put up with the IOC and all of their crap.

I want this to be a huge success and then the NHL can tell the IOC to go suck an egg.

Yeah... Okay guy.
I'm sorry I don't prefer a cash grab gimmick tournament that no player will care about winning, that isn't even a best on best (no, since teams won't be able to freely choose their players due to beyond stupid rules like no players under 23 in the "main team" it's not a best on best) that (as far as I can remember about the old information) will be held pre-season, when at least no one in europe gives a crap about hockey, over the olympics.

I'm sure Chara would love to maybe win the tournament with his buds from Denmark, Austria and Norway. I mean, who really wants to play in their national team when their chances of winning are pretty low, right?

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
First post...

To demonstrate how stupid this idea is, imagine if the 2010 Olympics had have been played under this World Cup format.

Crosby, who scored the OT winner in the Gold Medal Game, would have been ineligible to play for Team Canada under the new World Cup roster rules, as he was only 22 years old. Instead, he would have been forced to play for the Young Guns team. The best player in the world wouldn't have been allowed to play for his National Team. He would have had to play for some gimmick team.

Toews and Doughty too.

That is 3 big pieces of the Gold Medal winning team.

The proposed format will turn the World Cup into a farce.

...and one of the semi-finalist wouldn't have even been invited.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
You are critical of this because it is a cash grab?? What the hell do you think the Olympics are???!!!

And no one in Europe cares about hockey in September????? What are the months that Europeans care?

The tournament will be played in Toronto. Will have 100% NHL players. Game times will be determined by what is best for the American/Canadian markets. The tournament will be a success with or without support from Europeans.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
You are critical of this because it is a cash grab?? What the hell do you think the Olympics are???!!!

And no one in Europe cares about hockey in September????? What are the months that Europeans care?

The tournament will be played in Toronto. Will have 100% NHL players. Game times will be determined by what is best for the American/Canadian markets. The tournament will be a success with or without support from Europeans.

The cash grab complaint was only 1 complaint, but sure, ignore the other points, that's cool.

Europeans hockey interest usually isn't very high in september no. It's not the worst time possible, but it's not good either.

How can people make it out to be even close to a best on best if it's going to be 100% NHL players? Finlands squad, as an example was far from having only NHL players. Even Swedens had a few players playing in europe.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Young Stars are going to win gold!!!!!!!!!!!

McDavid, Eichel, Ekblad, Forsberg, Monahan, Gaudreau..............

I love it. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Hmm lets see its 23 and under, so:

Galchenyuk-McDavid-MacKinnon
Drouin-Monohan-Lazar
Domi-Eichel-Marner
Huberdeau-Horvat-Nylander (Western Canadian kid ;))
Petan/D.Strome

Rielly-Ekblad
Fowler-Jones
Murray-Trouba
Hanifin

Gibson
Subban

All guys will be under 23 for the next 2 years :amazed:

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Hmm lets see its 23 and under, so:

Gaudreau-McDavid-Forsberg
Galchenyuk-RNH-MacKinnon
Monohan-Eichel-Kucherov
Nichushkin-Barkov-Nylander
Pastranak/Burakovsky

Lindholm-Ekblad
Rielly-Jones
Fowler-Vatanen
Larsson/Hamilton

Gibson
Vasilevskiy

All guys will be under 23 for the next 2 years :amazed:

I thought it was under 23, not 23 and under making RNH ineligible, plus other players in 2016. All players from the 2012 NHL draft and on are eligible. Also it is only North American skaters.

Last edited:

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
I thought it was under 23, not 23 and under making RNH ineligible, plus other players in 2016. All players from the 2012 NHL draft and on are eligible. Also it is only North American skaters.

Yeah, I fixed it. It really waters down after the top6, need some N.A guys to develop faster.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah, I fixed it. It really waters down after the top6, need some N.A guys to develop faster.

Yeah it does. I also think the defense and goaltending will have a hard time competing, since it takes to around 22-23 to start coming into their own and a few more years to really peak.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

The Olympics is a cash grab. But, unlike the NHL, the IOC's greed doesn't have them proposing a comical gimmicky format. At least the OG is a traditional best-v-best.

A 'best of the rest' team? An U23 team? Really?
What's next?....team over 34? Team non-white minority? Good heavens.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
It's obvious not many here have been to the Olympics if they think it's a cash grab. It's the one reminder of purity we have in sport today when you have athletes competing for their nations pride and nothing else.

And yes, paying $108.00 for tickets at Sochi to sit behind the glass as lots of people did is such an expensive treat when compared to paying for a low quality product like the nhl offers on a nightly basis compared to Olympic Hockey.

But yes, keep believing it's a cash grab.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki

The Olympics are not a cash grab, as the most results are +-0 or losing money on it.

And it won't have 100% NHL-players. With what should Russia, Czech Republic and Finland otherwise fill out their rosters?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I hope the young guys boycott the tournament because they dont get to play for their home county. How will these guys feel playing against their respective countries?

What a farce.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I never thought this stupid idea would become a reality. This is not a World Cup. Imagine if they did this in Soccer (LOL)? What a complete joke. Slovakia and Switzerland should have been the other two teams.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
It should be like "NHL all-stars with national teams". Now people are expecting a proper international tournament ("World Cup") but they get NHL all-stars event instead.

No wonder Fasel isn't against this. This is not a competitor for Olympics, not even for WHC.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I've said it in other threads and I'll repeat in this one, the 2 gimmicky teams kill this tournament for me. I have no interest in watching 1 second of this pre-season exhibition marketing nonsense. My $$$$$, time and eyeballs will tune into something else.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I've said it in other threads and I'll repeat in this one, the 2 gimmicky teams kill this tournament for me. I have no interest in watching 1 second of this pre-season exhibition marketing nonsense. My $$$$$, time and eyeballs will tune into something else.

They had every chance in the world to turn this into a success that would really compete with the Olympics. Instead they turn it into a big joke :laugh:

DonDa

Apr 28, 2012
Budapest
What a pathetic idea. Isn't the All-Star Game enough? It will be no match for the Olympics. To be an Olympic champion is great glory, it has huge prestige, but the NHL did not understand it. They think the only reason of the success was the appearance of the NHL players, but it's not true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad