Terrible world cup ideas

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I think the discussion regarding the popularity and impact of the coming World Cup is skewed here in part because the majority of posters are Canadian or cheer for Canada. Of course the World Cup will be big in Canada and draw both crowds, media attention and television ratings. However, outside of Canada the impact will be far, far less than the Olympics. It's obvious that in Europe, apart for some hard core NHL fans, no one will really care, much less think it the equal of the Olympics. Possibly the US will at least pay it some attention, but again, I doubt there will be viewing parties in bars and US games being shown in public places, even if they make the finals Unlike the rather unimportant round robin against Russia played at the most inconvenient time for US viewers, much less will the US President tweet about a national hero, even if his name is TJ Oshie :sarcasm:

Canada is a special case, I remember a couple of years back they even had a special commemoration of the Summit Series, which no one else frankly cares about, and that includes the Russians, albeit they might be indifferent to any Soviet hockey history. Ask any American or European casual hockey fan about the World Cup, the Canada Cup or the Summit Series and they will look blank. As them about the Miracle on Ice in 1980 and they will know, even if only for the Ken Russel movie ;)

In all honesty you don't really watch the Olympics to watch superior hockey, lets be honest about that. You watch it for the gladiatorial combat between national teams, the national pride and passion of the players and the ever present chance of an inferior team somehow prevailing (Latvia almost over Canada, Belorussia over Sweden, :cry:). And that includes the players themselves. I doubt that Datsyuk would have gone to the World Cup on pretty much one leg, or Stamkos fought like a madman to recover, if the end goal is the World Cup. Playing in an all star game with hits for the enrichment of their employers will never create the same passion as Olympic hockey.
We Canadians cared a whole lot for the old format of the Canada Cup/World Cup. This new format is a joke. We like best-on-best tournaments and this new format is NOT. I will watch is for curiosity, but I will not consider the winning team as THE BEST.

jka*

I wondering if eight team with top six then these: Switzerland, Germany, Belarus, Denmark, Kazahkstan, Slovakia, Latvia and Poland will test match togheter and two best will go to tournament. In World Cup 2020, 2024, 2028, 2032 and 2036 and 2040. Every single four years between every tournament like before in Canada Cup. This I want.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
That Under 23 thing is fricking stupid. I can't believe McDavid is going to be playing on that team instead of Team Canada. I was looking forward to this, but that ruined it for me. Surely, they could have added another country instead?

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
The frustrating part is that you just know that Bettman and the NHL cannot be dissuaded.

It doesn't seem to matter how stupid their ideas are, the pigheadedness of the aforementioned seemingly render them incapable of rational reevaluation once it becomes blatantly obvious their blatantly stupid ideas are not being well received, as is the case here.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
the debate about McDavid is going to be interesting. I think he could make Team Canada if he was eligible. But on the other hand, even Crosby didn't make the 2006 olympics, Stamkos the 2010. Both of them put up great numbers in those seasons (Crosby 102-point season, Stamkos 51 goals and 95 points) so it would take an Art Ross or a Hart trophy to somehow get McDavid on the roster imo. That's what I think about the coaching stuff. But if I was the coach, I would probably want McDavid even if he got "just" 85 points. Which is possible imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad