Terrible colour commentator moments

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Craig Simpson and his insufferable monotone voice, with that half chuckle with every 5th word he says, and gerry galley.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
The majority, you say?

The populations of the UK, Canada, and Australia (I know there are other English-first countries but these are the big ones) combine to about 127 million.

The population of the US is 327 million.

But I do suppose we might have different interpretations of what "English-speaking world" means. I personally interpret it as the countries where English is the (de facto) official language. Obviously, it's a pretty widely spoken 2nd/3rd language in many countries across the world; the number of speakers it has of that variety and, more importantly, the version they are exposed to more, can affect those numbers if your interpretation is broader than mine.

That being said, would that bridge a gap of 200 million people? I have my doubts.

(And, fwiw, I actually like some of the Commonwealth spellings and have added the extra "u" in colour, rumour, and such before as well. Sometimes, not always.)
I think roughly 10% of India speaks English, thats 125 mil right there, still think color is more common, as a Canadian I use both.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Pierre definitely has quantity of incidents in his favor but Steigerwald joking about someone dying in a plane crash is a masterstroke of awfulness that will probably never be topped unless someone starts dropping n-bombs on the air. :laugh:

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
The majority, you say?

The populations of the UK, Canada, and Australia (I know there are other English-first countries but these are the big ones) combine to about 127 million.

The population of the US is 327 million.

But I do suppose we might have different interpretations of what "English-speaking world" means. I personally interpret it as the countries where English is the (de facto) official language. Obviously, it's a pretty widely spoken 2nd/3rd language in many countries across the world; the number of speakers it has of that variety and, more importantly, the version they are exposed to more, can affect those numbers if your interpretation is broader than mine.

That being said, would that bridge a gap of 200 million people? I have my doubts.

(And, fwiw, I actually like some of the Commonwealth spellings and have added the extra "u" in colour, rumour, and such before as well. Sometimes, not always.)

You can’t make up a definition. There’s 1.5 billion English speakers in the world. Doesn’t matter if it is first language or not. If you are going to change the rules for other countries and discount them for not being native English speakers then you have to subtract 1/5 of the US population who also are not English speaking natives and regularly speak another language in their household. See how that works.

Hate to say it but we are the minority in the world in terms of our English and it’s not very close. That said, when I moved to England, I used to chide the wife by taking a sharpie to the products on the grocery store shelves and scratch that extra U out :sarcasm: I think I need to start doing that again.

Last edited:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Im havin sex w u rn
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Using first names only

Always cringey. Only Chico Resch could come close to doing it, and even then it was still gratuitous.

“Zach [Parise] with a good chance there!”

Like stfu it’s not Zach it’s Parise

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
You can’t make up a definition. There’s 1.5 billion English speakers in the world. Doesn’t matter if it is first language or not. If you are going to change the rules for other countries and discount them for not being native English speakers then you have to subtract 1/5 of the US population who also are not English speaking natives and regularly speak another language in their household. See how that works.

Hate to say it but we are the minority in the world in terms of our English and it’s not very close. That said, when I moved to England, I used to chide the wife by taking a sharpie to the products on the grocery store shelves and scratch that extra U out :sarcasm: I think I need to start doing that again.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I couldn't care less which "brand" of English is more popular than the other. My interpretation was simply how I've always seen it. Whether it's "right" or "wrong", whatever. In any case, unless we have actual metrics to prove which one is more popular, this debate will only go in circles. Are we broadly assuming that all non-U.S. spoken English is of the British variety? Because that assumption feels dubious, to me. It's not like American culture hasn't been spread all the world over, which can absolutely have its influences on how English is spoken and written as well.

If you have metrics to back up your claim, and from a reputable source, I'll concede this point to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad