Ten young guns with the potential to join Jarome Iginla in the exclusive 10 x 30 Club

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Ten young guns with the potential to join Jarome Iginla in the exclusive 10 x 30 Club

Excerpt:
By now you’ve seen Jarome Iginla has added quite a monumental feather in his cap. He becomes amazingly only the 10th member of the exclusive 10 x 30 Club – NHL players who have scored 30 goals in 10 or more straight seasons.
Moving right along, with hockey`s future in the hands of a superb group of young guns, let`s explore who might just have a shot at joining Iginla in the 10 by 30 Club.

The Usual Suspects

- Sidney Crosby: Injuries are the obvious biggest obstacle for most players in the quest to achieve such a feat, including Sid the Kid. With his torrid pace before the infamous concussion this season, SC87 has reached the 30 goal plateau for the third straight year. If not for an injury shortened 2007-08 campaign, he would have five under his belt.
The Next Wave:

- John Tavares: JT may get there for the first time this year, but still has some work to do. Hockey fans are waiting for the wunderkind he has been hailed as to emerge. Tavares is learning the ropes and learning what he needs to do to become a high level player in the big league. As the young players continue to develop around him and likely in spite of the mess that is the Islanders franchise, Tavares will score a lot of goals in the NHL.

Read on to find out which yet to be drafted prospects and current NHLers made the list as well as 5 players who just missed the cut.

Flame away...but please back up your flaming! ;)

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I remember when everyone said Ovy would be hurt at least once a year, maybe more, because he plays reckless. So far, there is nothing to really support your theory on Hall.

Other than that, I understand the shock appeal of putting guys that never played a game in the NHL on the list, but to realistically say a guy like Strome has more of a chance than Nash, Perry, Hall, etc. is a little overboard IMO. Nash already has 4/10 seasons in a row under his belt and just getting into his prime years.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
I remember when everyone said Ovy would be hurt at least once a year, maybe more, because he plays reckless. So far, there is nothing to really support your theory on Hall.

Other than that, I understand the shock appeal of putting guys that never played a game in the NHL on the list, but to realistically say a guy like Strome has more of a chance than Nash, Perry, Hall, etc. is a little overboard IMO. Nash already has 4/10 seasons in a row under his belt and just getting into his prime years.

It's definitely playing the potential card big time in selecting these guys.

Nash definitely has a legitimate shot and is a big time contender to join the exclusive 10 x 30 club. However, there is the reasonable possibility that none of the names mentioned achieve this feat. Keep in mind some of the all time hockey great goal scorers that did not get there - Brett Hull just to mention one.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Except that Hall, a 6'0 180-190 pounder plays like he's 6'2, 230 pounds. Ovechkin actually is 6'2, 230 pounds.

Akonite

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Except that Hall, a 6'0 180-190 pounder plays like he's 6'2, 230 pounds. Ovechkin actually is 6'2, 230 pounds.
One freak injury that doesn't really relate to his game doesn't make him prone for future injury.

And for the record:
Hall is 6'1'' (185 cm) 195 lbs
Ovechkin is 6'2'' (188 cm) 233 lbs

Give the 19 year old some time to fill out :).

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I'll throw Kessel into the mix. Already on pace to have three years of 30 goals, after this year.

If he can put up two years of 30 goals with Tyler Bozak as his centre, he'll definitely have a shot if the Leafs get a #1 centre.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
One freak injury that doesn't really relate to his game doesn't make him prone for future injury.

And for the record:
Hall is 6'1'' (185 cm) 195 lbs
Ovechkin is 6'2'' (188 cm) 233 lbs

Give the 19 year old some time to fill out :).

I didn't say he was injury prone, I said he's more likely to get injured than AO given they play a similar style, but one guy is a lot bigger than the people he's running into

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
I'll throw Kessel into the mix. Already on pace to have three years of 30 goals, after this year.

If he can put up two years of 30 goals with Tyler Bozak as his centre, he'll definitely have a shot if the Leafs get a #1 centre.

Agreed:

I limited it to 5 honorable mentions but Kessel deserves mentioning.

Dany Heatley should be in the mix given his natural scoring ability, but just a gut feeling his streak gets derailed at some point.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Parise would have had he not gotten hurt this year.. this year would have already been 5 straight.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If Eric Staal had buried an empty net in the second to last game last season, he would be on pace to have his 6th season this year.

So sad that he isn't going to get it. :cry:

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Kessel for sure should be considered.

Bobby Ryan could do it barring injury.

As long as St Louis doesnt retire Stamkos could.

Alexander Semin, Matt Duchene, James Neal (with Crosby for 10 years), are just some names that come to mind.

BluelineHammer

Jan 20, 2010
I didn't say he was injury prone, I said he's more likely to get injured than AO given they play a similar style, but one guy is a lot bigger than the people he's running into

I agree, size is definitely the difference here. Ovechkin has it and is big and strong enough to absorb hits and even sometimes initiate contact while he is carrying the puck. Hall does not, but he does try to play physical and it gets him in trouble. Here are three examples: the first where he challenges another opponent (Hamonic) with his body, the second and third where he misjudges the defender and gets destroyed. I've NEVER seen Ovie get handled like this.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Nash would have had 7 in a row already if he had 3 more goals in 06-07. Pretty crazy.

jntadt22

Mar 6, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Parise would have had he not gotten hurt this year.. this year would have already been 5 straight.

This is the first name that came to my head, and I could only hope that he still has a chance, he'll only be 27 at the beginning of next season.

Jeff Skinner is my next guess!

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly

This is the first name that came to my head, and I could only hope that he still has a chance, he'll only be 27 at the beginning of next season.

Jeff Skinner is my next guess!

Goes to show how tough an achievement this is to complete. One hiccup along the road and one's in tough to pull it off.

SimonD92

Mar 2, 2011
MTL
Stamkos, Ryan, Nash,, and 6 more goals by the end of the season, Kovalchuk will get his 8th season in a row.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Kessel for sure should be considered.

Bobby Ryan could do it barring injury.

As long as St Louis doesnt retire Stamkos could.
Alexander Semin, Matt Duchene, James Neal (with Crosby for 10 years), are just some names that come to mind.

St.louis is an amazing playmaker, and will be the first lightning member have his number retired. Stamkos wont need St.louis to nail 30 goals a season however, the kid has an assload of talent.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

True, but there is a very good chance Hall is playing in the 210 range within a year or 2, he has a massive frame with the ability to fill out and be very strong.
He's 194 as a 19 year old rookie, so he just needs to fill out, work out really hard over the next couple summers, and he will be ready to play his game without fear by 21 at the latest IMO.

The way I see it, he hasn't got hurt yet in all of junior or in the NHL because of his reckless play, so the fact he will get much stronger will only help and hopefully it won't affect his career at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad