Tribute Ten Years Ago Today

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
**** Steckel. WTF was he doing on that play. Was so deliberate.

And yes I refuse to wear blue pens gear. They better never go back to it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Watching someone get a serious injury is fun? Not quite sure about that. But nonetheless I'll say I'm massively thankful they ended up finding out how to heal 87 who then went on to dominate. You think about the stuff Mario and Sid had to go through and it is ridiculous. And these legends still are top 5 GOAT.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing a Jersey done up with the darker shade of blue again without the crest and ridiculous sleeves.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Holy f*** that was 10 years ago?!? He was running away with it that year and it took weeks for someone to pass him.

it is what it is, but the “what if” for that season, statistically, is the most annoyed I am about his career. I really wanted to see what his absolute best was and I’m sure it was that year and the next couple...all screwed by injury.

Reactions: Son Goku

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
It's a cliche to mention this, but Crosby was in the midst of one of the all-time great seasons by any player when this incident happened. He was on another level, even compared to the previous year when he won the Rocket. I remember that it felt absolutely inevitable that he was going to score in every single game.

Sid would have probably ended up with close to 60 goals and 130 points if he had stayed healthy that season. The timing of that injury and a couple other subsequent ones (reaggravating the neck when he tried to come back in late 2011, the jaw injury in 2013) robbed Sid of at least 2 scoring titles when he was in his prime. It's a testament to his accomplishments that he STILL has potential to retire as a consensus top 5 all time player despite basically missing half of the games in his prime scoring years.

Also worth noting: the following game, January 5th vs Tampa (in which Sid ill-advisedly played), featured Malkin scoring 7 seconds in and the Pens absolutely stomping the Lightning, who would go on to eliminate Pittsburgh's sorry B-squad a few months later. Who knows how much quicker Sid could have recovered if he was made to sit that one out? Butterfly effect, etc...

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Didn't Crosby also get injured in the game right after that? I recall him getting slammed into the boards and leaving the game.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
That Jacket was the only bright thing about this game. I still want one.
I love that logo. I think those jerseys would have been sharp in black and yellow, with a few less lines though.

I was a big fan of that jersey.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
A ''fun thread''? I wonder if it would be fun if that happened to Letang?

Seems like it would be more ''fun'' for a flyers forum.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I just had a flashback of Crosby spinning around wildly in a gyroscope at the hands of the mad scientist himself, Dr. Ted Carrick.

I'm sure that never actually happened, but my brain remembers it that way.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad