Ten Greatest Kings

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Will be have most games played as a king in their history, first king to ever raise the cup, currently #8 for points as a king. Don't see how he isn't automatic for top 10.
Because the fact he is the first king to ever raise the cup is a non fact to me. Does that make him a great player ?

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Because the fact he is the first king to ever raise the cup is a non fact to me. Does that make him a great player ?
I disagree i see it as a helping factor The reason to put him on the list is the list is people that do great things other king players haven't. To me the greatest thing a player can do is win a cup and being the first one from this team to do it is a factor to put him on the list. Many other great kings haven't done that as a king 99 dionne taylor luc etc

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I disagree i see it as a helping factor The reason to put him on the list is the list is people that do great things other king players haven't. To me the greatest thing a player can do is win a cup and being the first one from this team to do it is a factor to put him on the list. Many other great kings haven't done that as a king 99 dionne taylor luc etc
I put a lot of stock into GP as a king. Playing over 1000 games is very hard in the NHL, playing over 1000 games with one franchise is even more rare. It's why, as great as he was/is, Gretzky is lower on my list than most as far as top 10 kings.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I put a lot of stock into GP as a king. Playing over 1000 games is very hard in the NHL, playing over 1000 games with one franchise is even more rare. It's why, as great as he was/is, Gretzky is lower on my list than most as far as top 10 kings.
I agree as well 99 I refer to 99 as my dark years as a fan Yes i was a king fan but not a huge 99 fan despite him being a King To me Dionne is the best all time king with luc taylor up there as well . No current player should be on a list like that imo but there well be no doubt brown will be on it at some point

Reactions: Legionnaire

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.

this hit was a major turning point for this franchise. We dont make it past Vancouver without Brown in 2012.
UfKOb.gif

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
If you define it as greatest Kings careers and not just who are the best ten players to play for the Kings, Brown is easily in the Top 10.

He is this generations Dave Taylor, except he lifted the Cup 2x and was a ridiculous force in the 2012 run.

Brown/Kopitar/Doughty/Quick are all in the Top 10. All four have played their entire careers with the organization and have been key contributors to two Cups.

Dionne/Vachon/Taylor/Gretzky/Blake/Luc. There are your six retired jerseys. The four current players mentioned will have their numbers join them in the rafters.

There's 10. Nicholls was more talented than Brown. Palffy might be more skilled than anyone I've mentioned save for Gretzky. Longevity--coupled with results--matters.

You can probably get me to remove Blake just because of my feelings towards him, but he's the best defenseman this team had until Doughty came along. Ditching the "C" is grounds enough for me to remove him for Doug Zmolek but I'm using my brain and not my heart.

Dog as Man

Mostly sniffing around.
Feb 27, 2002
Napa
1. J.Q.
2. Marcel
3. Wayne
4. Dave Taylor
5. Dustin Brown
6. A. Kopitar
7. Bernie Nichols
8. Tomas Sandstrom
9. Rogie
10. Butch Goring

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
1. Robitaille
2. Dionne
3. Taylor
4. Gretzky
5. Brown
6. Kopitar
7. Blake
8. Quick
9. Doughty
10. Goring

GP with the kings matters a lot to me in my list. So as someone like Doughty plays more than Blake (this season) things will change. Crazy that Brown will have the most Games Played as a King when he suites up for the 67th game this year.

You should re-examine the necessity of this criteria.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
depends if you are talking best king of all time or best player to play for the kings. If it's the second you could make an argument for Iginla, see GP matter

This is strictly the Greatest Kings, meaning, Greatest Kings careers. I thought my list made that pretty clear.

That's why Palffy makes it:

335 GP - 359 PTS ....at 5'10"....in the DPE....with those LA rosters

That gets you in the Top-10

Last edited:

ShonSaunders

May 18, 2012
Babylon
How about I give a list of just honorable mentions since everybody’s lists have basically the same players? I’ll include players that didn’t have longevity with the Kings, but at least made the games fun to watch in the lean years. And this list comes from my own viewing. No one I haven’t seen play.

Nichols
Palffy
S. Duchesse
Norstrom
G. Murray
Deadmarsh
La Perrier
Frolov
Demitra
C. Ronning...

... J/K

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
This is strictly the Greatest Kings, meaning, Greatest Kings careers. I thought my list made that pretty clear.

That's why Palffy makes it:

335 GP - 359 PTS ....at 5'10"....in the DPE....with those LA rosters

That gets you in the Top-10
Palffy was my favorite king for a lot of years for sure.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
If you define it as greatest Kings careers and not just who are the best ten players to play for the Kings, Brown is easily in the Top 10.

He is this generations Dave Taylor, except he lifted the Cup 2x and was a ridiculous force in the 2012 run.

Brown/Kopitar/Doughty/Quick are all in the Top 10. All four have played their entire careers with the organization and have been key contributors to two Cups.

Dionne/Vachon/Taylor/Gretzky/Blake/Luc. There are your six retired jerseys. The four current players mentioned will have their numbers join them in the rafters.

There's 10. Nicholls was more talented than Brown. Palffy might be more skilled than anyone I've mentioned save for Gretzky. Longevity--coupled with results--matters.

You can probably get me to remove Blake just because of my feelings towards him, but he's the best defenseman this team had until Doughty came along. Ditching the "C" is grounds enough for me to remove him for Doug Zmolek but I'm using my brain and not my heart.

This is how I see it as well. I think guys like Palffy, Nichols, Goring, Simmer, Kurri who all had great careers as Kings players, but just not as deserving as those main 10 players.

Reactions: 2-4 Slashin
Jul 31, 2005
CA
If you watch a lot of King games during the Gretzky era Kurri will show up a lot more when you view the games. Because he was Wayne's side kick for so many years he's looked at as a finisher but his skating was excellent and his ability to play center and chase down the puck carrier when he was on right wing isn't looked at enough. He was an amazing 2 way player especially given his point totals.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
I made a list of interesting "did you know they were Kings" list that will be great trivia in about 10 years. All of them were great players in the NHL.
I added some of rhe Kings surprising management...

1. Coffey
2. Murphy (or Schneider if Kings draft picks don't count)
3. Iginla
4. LaCavalier
5. Lucic (or Roenick)
6. Bonk (kidding a bit, Pulford)
7. Bure (was signed, if he doesn't count then Rick Martin)
8. Palffy (or Tocchet)
9. Gaborik (alternarive Kovalchuk, if it's too soon then Sydor)
10. Duchesne

Surprising coach: Tippet
Surprising GM: Look at my avatar
Surprising owner: Buss
Surprising director of draft: Al Murray

Best Kings rookie camp atendeee: Sydney Crosby

Last edited:

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
1)Dionne
2)Kopitar
3)Doughty
4)Quick
5)Luc
6)Gretzky
7)Brown
8)Carter
9)Taylor
10)Nichols
10)Pallfy

HM Vachon, Goring, Simmer, Kurri
We could list another 10/15 names that made it fun to be a kings fan over he decades but since now we are a fan base that must have the cup to call it a good year the core guys we are watching have to not only be immortalized but have to be appreciated in real time for what they have done and strive to do again , crap guys 6 years later and still jazzed to have seen them win two cups and if Jupiter aligns with mars might just might get one more Go Kings Go

And no did not forget Blake or have I forgot what he did last two times when he was "C"

Reactions: YP44

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think by the time he retires that Kopitar will be considered the best player in Kings history, in fact I'd say you could make a pretty good argument that he be even if he retired today.
I think Doughty will be the best in Kings history, but not by much.

A lot can change though. If Doughty ever demands a trade, which isn't out of the realm of possibility it could change his longevity as a King and my opinion.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If you watch a lot of King games during the Gretzky era Kurri will show up a lot more when you view the games. Because he was Wayne's side kick for so many years he's looked at as a finisher but his skating was excellent and his ability to play center and chase down the puck carrier when he was on right wing isn't looked at enough. He was an amazing 2 way player especially given his point totals.
I loved Jari Kurri's game. Just wish he had been with the Kings for a longer period of time in his prime years. When he opened up for a one-timer, he was deadly.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I loved Jari Kurri's game. Just wish he had been with the Kings for a longer period of time in his prime years. When he opened up for a one-timer, he was deadly.

Almost could have another thread, "Current King with best chance to be Best King of all Time". For me it would Kopitar, Quick, Doughty than Brown. But honestly I could support an argument for all 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad