WC: Television ratings around the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
Hehe. "Wrong side of the road."

I figured Canadas part in the British commonwealth was mostly by tradition and that you guys had adopted the same traffic rules as everybody else.. guess I was wrong. Are you guys still on imperial measurements as well? :sarcasm:

Perhaps it's the commonwealth that has done wonders for Canadian "journalism" as well.
The article could've been written by an Englishman, just swap hockey for football and throw a few other things around and there you have it.

Steve Macfarlane could've saved himself some time and just written "Waah wahh, no fair" instead of using all those big words

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Actually I expect Cricket to have more total fans in the world than Hockey does.

Yeah, almost all former British colonies in Africa and Asia are very big on Cricket. They definately have way more fans internationally than hockey does. Even in Canada cricket is taking off as we get more Indian, white Zimbabwean and white South African's arriving in the country.

wpgyotes

Bye Bryz
Jul 6, 2006
The fact is it's not a best-on-best tournament. The Olympics and World Junior Championships/U-17/U-18 are.

Chad Ocho Cinco was the Canadians' back-up goalie... that about says it all right there.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Many drive on the wrong side of the road.

How someone can embarrass themselves by writing crap like that is something I'll never understand. :shakehead

I guess these people think they are smarter than TSN because every single year they pay for the broadcasting rights, send a crew over (I'm sure at great expense) and fill many hours of their schedule with the WC instead of dirt-cheap bass fishing shows, re-runs of SportsCentre and other canned content that would cost them next-to-nothing to broadcast. They should be listening to Sun reporters who think that some of the countries at the WC drive on the wrong side of the road.

Rjinswand

Aug 15, 2009
Germany against Switzerland had 1.6 mil. viewers.
For comparison: The women Champions Leagues final started at about the same time and had 3.97 mil. viewers.
Have numbers from Canada or Russia for any match been published?

Last edited:

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
When the tournament was in Quebec City the Canada-Russia final averaged 947,000 and peaked at 1.4 million when Kovalchuk scored.

I'd wager the Canada-Russia quarterfinal yesterday averaged somewhere in the 200,000-400,000 range.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Ugh big :facepalm: out to the Toronto Sun. Honestly though, I think the only reason that this article was published, was because of all the Canada bashing that went on in Europe after the all-NA final in the Olympics..... in which case, I find this hillarious.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It is a dumb article, but it's true that most Canadian hockey fans don't really care.

There are several rabid hockey fans in my office and not one of them has watched the Worlds this year - they've all watched every second of any NHL playoff game they can get though.

It's nice if Canada wins, but these days a lot of tbe best Canadian players who could go, don't go. I used to think it was unpatriotic - until Joe Nieuwendyk tore up his knee playing at the Worlds and missed a good chunk of the following regular NHL season (I'm a big Flames fan).

These days I'm happier if Flames players skip the tournament.

DekeyPete

Dec 18, 2002
pg bc
i like how when the russian OLYMPIC TEAM beats a canadian team of kids getting their first taste of top international hockey, it is the greatest victory ever!!!! but do they even mention the paid off refs that wouldn't even call a high elbow which was also interference?stay classy russian mob.lol your team doesn't win games, the mob does.

and yes, this article doesn't represent canadians, we will watch any hockey :) and do care about these tourny's, that's why my post started off so bitter :)

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
This is not as bad as the kook from Pravda saying the Russian hockey team was drugged at Vancouver.

Not strange. I heard that's the norm for guys like Kovalchcuk and his friends when playing with the national team. :sarcasm:

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
How someone can embarrass themselves by writing crap like that is something I'll never understand. :shakehead

I guess these people think they are smarter than TSN because every single year they pay for the broadcasting rights, send a crew over (I'm sure at great expense) and fill many hours of their schedule with the WC instead of dirt-cheap bass fishing shows, re-runs of SportsCentre and other canned content that would cost them next-to-nothing to broadcast. They should be listening to Sun reporters who think that some of the countries at the WC drive on the wrong side of the road.

Maybe this guy is holding on to his British roots and still drives on the left side of the road? Many of the Britons are indeed annyoed with the driving habits of the ursupers on the contient. :sarcasm:

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I will never forget the tears in the canandian's faces after the WC' 08 final. Yo don't cry for something you don't care about it.

BTW, If Canada doesn't want to take part in international competitions, good riddance. We don't need its wrestlers.

"Canada" doesn't care about tournaments that mean nothing, however the IIHF will do everything to make sure that the best hockey nation at least participates, albeit with players who were on bad teams and who have nothing better to do.

I guess the Russian quitters and whiners can enjoy their moral victory now.

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
Why are many people so buttsore that the US and Canada don't care about a "World" championship tournament that doesn't boast the best players in the world (including the European countries)?

We have our own little tournament here. It's an 82 game round-robin with a 4 round elimination series. It goes on for about 9 months, and at the end of it, a champion is crowned. The best players in the World participate in this event.

This tournament is not important to us. It never has been (except during the lockout and during the Cold War). We have our own thing going on here which we care more about a lot more. We are just as passionate and patriotic as you. We love international events, including the Olympics and WJC which we fully support and participate in.

Chalk it up to cultural differences and call it a day.

Get over it.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Some World Championships ratings from Finland (population 5 million):

Finland - Denmark 1,2 million
Finland - Germany 1,35 million

How are the ratings in Denmark and Norway now that they are playing good? Or are the games even televised there?

So how do these compare with the Olympics & World Cup? And with past years?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Why are many people so buttsore that the US and Canada don't care about a "World" championship tournament that doesn't boast the best players in the world (including the European countries)?

We have our own little tournament here. It's an 82 game round-robin with a 4 round elimination series. It goes on for about 9 months, and at the end of it, a champion is crowned. The best players in the World participate in this event.

This tournament is not important to us. It never has been (except during the lockout and during the Cold War). We have our own thing going on here which we care more about a lot more. We are just as passionate and patriotic as you. We love international events, including the Olympics and WJC which we fully support and participate in.

Chalk it up to cultural differences and call it a day.

Get over it.

The only ones who need to get over something are those Canadians and Americans who start to whine about how this isn't a best-on-best tournament when their countries lose. (Not a slight against those who care about it or don't feel the need to whine)

The rest of the world couldn't care less how popular this tournament is in those two countries, they have better things to worry about, like actually watching hockey instead of whining.

It's never the Europeans who start this, it's always the Americans and Canadians. Funny how they care so little that they still feel the urge to talk about it and start a discussion all the time.

Here's a hint, if you aren't interested, fine, that's good for you. No need to go on one rant after another about something that you "don't care about".

Last edited:

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site

We DON'T care that they don't care but still they spam EVERY thread about how much they don't care.

It's annoying.

Just let those who DO care discuss the tournament in peace.

Ratings for yesterdays's Germany - Switzerland game here in Germany: 1.600.000

At the same time as this game another channel showed the final of the Women's Champions league (soccer). That game had almost 4.000.000 viewers.

Shows just how much soccer dominates here in Germany.

Somehow missed Rjinswand post. Sorry.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Lol, four million viewers of womens soccer. I just... holy ****..

In Finland i bet no one knows even one name of any Women soccer player. :D And i dont think its ever televisied.

Kameli

Feb 27, 2010
Espoo
Well as Finland hosted womens European Championships last year I guess everyone here knows many names and Finnish tv showed all matches live so no need to downgrade womens game, soccer is just so dominant in Europe. Btw. Was a great event here last summer. :)

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. Also, German women's soccer actually reached a very watchable level.

Imo women's socer is much closer in quality to men's soccer then women's hockey
to men's hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: