Status
Not open for further replies.

Poro24

May 4, 2005
Finland
Some World Championships ratings from Finland (population 5 million):

Finland - Denmark 1,2 million
Finland - Germany 1,35 million

How are the ratings in Denmark and Norway now that they are playing good? Or are the games even televised there?

Rjinswand

Aug 15, 2009
World Championships television audience from Germany (population: 82 million)

Germany - USA: 1.15 million plus a few watching a 3D broadcast via IPTV (Telekom)
Germany - Finland: 1 million

Sport1 shows a total of 30 matches, up to 22 on it's free TV station (including all matches with German participation).

Edit:
Germany vs. Switzerland (quarterfinal): 1.6 mil.
Germany vs. Russia (semifinal): 2.49 mil.
Sweden vs. Czech Republic (semifinal): 0.39 mil.
Germany vs. Sweden (match for bronze): 0.9 mil.
Russia vs. Czech Republic (final): 0.51 mil.

Don't know about the other matches.

Last edited:

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
Swiss (german part) ratings (population around 4,5 million):

Eishockey; WM, Deutschland Schweiz - Italien; Analyse, Highlights 137'900 22.8%
Eishockey; WM, Deutschland Schweiz - Lettland; Analyse, Highlights 231'900 14.9%
Eishockey; WM, Deutschland USA - Deutschland; Analyse, Highlights 155'600 10%

Geric

Apr 9, 2010
I wonder what the ratings are in Canada. With games at 10 AM and 2 PM, they can't be very high.

I work from home so I get to watch!

SChan*

Toront Sun article: The worlds rank lower than cricket

CALGARY — The rematch goes to the Russians.

Too bad nobody outside of Europe cares.

What happens at the IIHF world hockey championship is an afterthought in North America at the best of times.

The worlds rank lower than cricket in a year Team Canada has already been crowned the ultimate champion by winning gold at the 2010 Vancouver Games.

Let the Euros have their annual flag-waving fight at the worlds. That continent has so many things backwards anyway.

They whistle instead of boo.

Many drive on the wrong side of the road.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/05/20/14027511.html

:shakehead:help:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
It's the Toronto Sun...:help: I doubt any of their writers have even gone to journalism school.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
It's not like the SC playoffs is best-on-best either.
I mean, there is none of the Hart nominees left, same with Vezina, Calder, Lad Byng, Selke or Masterton
The top seven scorers are out, and the current point leader had less points than Perry during the regular season...
Bunch of scraps left, obviously...

Oh, almost forgot. :sarcasm:

;)

Last edited:

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
Dear Mr MacFarlane,

well, since the Euros have so many things backwards Canada can consider itself lucky there's almost no European roots among their inhabitants.

And this whole flag-waving thing is seriously one of the most annoying European habits ever.
canada.jpg

blog3.jpg

Have fun watching the Stanley Cup playoffs!
We crazy Europeans will do that, too. That's if we find the time between figuring out how to properly boo and how to avoid taking a youth-developement tournament seriously.

Thanks for the good advice! :)

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
Anyone who feels the need to proclaim that they don't care, are obviously lying..

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I wouldn't worry. First off, crappy paper. Second, yes, the tournament really isn't big here, but of course Canadians would feel upset from any Canadian hockey loss.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
LOL, Canada loses and voilà...

You're right. We sent the best players available and are devastated and embarassed by the loss. We need to rethink Canadian hockey if we are to keep up with the European powerhouses. What a tragedy we have had to endure. :help:

Now what happened to that same Russian team when Canada actually sent their top players? :sarcasm:

Any way you slice it, this tournament just wasn't overly important to Canadians. I'm sure everyone would love to have won, but we won the big one, so we can deal.

Sergei Makarov

Jan 19, 2010
Saint Petersburg
I will never forget the tears in the canandian's faces after the WC' 08 final. Yo don't cry for something you don't care about it.

BTW, If Canada doesn't want to take part in international competitions, good riddance. We don't need its wrestlers.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Though it's true that pretty much no one in Canada was aware there was a world championship right now...

Yeah, except for the fact that even in the middle of the day it still gets better ratings in Canada than any other sporting event on right now, other than the Stanley Cup playoffs. Anyone who reads a newspaper or watches the news knows its going on. Everyone else obviously doesn't keep up to date with current events, so their opinion doesn't matter.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Yeah, except for the fact that even in the middle of the day it still gets better ratings in Canada than any other sporting event on right now, other than the Stanley Cup playoffs. Anyone who reads a newspaper or watches the news knows its going on. Everyone else obviously doesn't keep up to date with current events, so their opinion doesn't matter.

Of course I'm in Montréal, and right now it's 100% Habs.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Hehe. "Wrong side of the road."

I figured Canadas part in the British commonwealth was mostly by tradition and that you guys had adopted the same traffic rules as everybody else.. guess I was wrong. Are you guys still on imperial measurements as well? :sarcasm:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I will never forget the tears in the canandian's faces after the WC' 08 final. Yo don't cry for something you don't care about it

If it is on home soil it's important. NHL refs will be used, they do as they want with the venues, playing times/days, scheduling etc and things are all the sudden appealing as everything is smooth as butter.

Without generalizing, grow a pair and take it for what it is and spare us all the whining this time of the year, every year.

Anonymous User

Oct 11, 2009
I'm kind of surprised that these things are allowed in professional journalism. The Toronto Sun does it best when it comes to acting like a child when it doesn't get the results that they want. Petty insults would fill the content insulting the region and its people in a article written to create and promote hatred.

Back when the Canucks signed Sundin, they ran an article on it that included bashing the city and the people of Vancouver. That was pretty uncalled for and juvenile.

Well, now we know that whichever team does do harm to the Leafs, they will be there to hurl a barrade of insults toward that city and its fans. :shakehead

Stay classy, Toronto Sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad