Teemu Selanne number retirement is tonight

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
number retirement should be reserved for players that play their whole career in same team. Not dudes who signs stacked teams.

Yeah Teemu's significance to this club, this fanbase, and this city are shattered cause the ducks traded him. Gimme a break.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Either way I'm inside Honda center. Incredibly emotional and a night I'm never going to forget.

Now I'm looking forward to a game that the refs don't turn into a joke, as seems to be common when be #1 and #2 teams play.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
There was serious consideration made, once the date was known, of flying out there for the game. After watching that I'm sorry that I couldn't make it work. Oh well it will live forever on YouTube.

Classy move by both teams for the pregame skate. Let's hope that the refs don't screw up the game too much tonight & that it's a good one.

CBJorBust

Sep 27, 2006
Just a random Teemu story (kind of)

The three times I've gone to see him play, I've waited for autographs with groups of people and the only Duck to stop all three times, was Teemu. Nicest hockey player I have ever met (Crosby is just like him)

janecky

Oct 8, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
One of the worst days of my life. Been a fan for over 23 years.

Latecomer. Tsk tsk. You weren't there to see Selänne miss a penalty shot in game four of the SM-liiga qualification series in 1989. ;)

That was the year Daryl Reaugh was supposed to keep Kärpät in the SM-liiga. Obviously didn't work. I think Reaugh didn't even start either of the last two games. (Yes, kids, Reaugh was a goalie before becoming the Stars' color commentator, and he saw up close the 18-year old Selänne lead the best-of-five qualification series in scoring.)

For those interested in jerseys and numbers, Selänne wore #11 for his first couple of seasons with Jokerit before #8 became available.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
My favorite player growing up together with Fedorov and Forsberg. Great player and got only respect for him.

Mynameismark*

Winnipeg better do something special for Teemu too! I want to see them announce that they will build a bronze statue of Teemu in Winnipeg or something like that. :nod:

OK please young ones....if they haven't done this for the face of the Jets, who goes by the name of DALE HAWERCHUK, then surely Selanne doesnt deserve it.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Where could I see the ceremony? Wasn't able to watch it live due to time difference.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
NHL has posted clips of it on youtube, including Teemu's full speech, but I don't know if the entire thing is up there.

Yeah, I cheked and saw the clips. I'll wait for the whole thing before spoiling it. I wan't to take a manly moment alone. Open up a beer, turn the lights off, sit back and just enjoy the whole package.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
And Vatanen scores the SO winner, how appropriate. Rakell seemed to channel Selanne circa 2007.

Grohlyone

Sep 1, 2012
Barrie, ON
My favorite player growing up together with Fedorov and Forsberg. Great player and got only respect for him.

Along with Hasek and Kariya, these were my favourites as a kid too. Good thing Jagr has another decade left in him, or I'd start feeling old.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What an experience that game was. I cried. Repeatedly. I screamed. I cheered. I lost my voice. 130 dollars WELL spent. Rakell was the man tonight.

I kinda wished Scotty and Prongs gave short speeches too but it would've run even longer if they did. But either way it was so nice to see most of my heroes.

Was really proud of the Honda Center crowd for giving a loud cheer for Kariya's recorded video. I expected a rain of them, but I didn't hear a single fan booing.
Just a random Teemu story (kind of)

The three times I've gone to see him play, I've waited for autographs with groups of people and the only Duck to stop all three times, was Teemu. Nicest hockey player I have ever met (Crosby is just like him)

He really is man.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Along with Hasek and Kariya, these were my favourites as a kid too. Good thing Jagr has another decade left in him, or I'd start feeling old.

Jagr will be the last of the old guard to go and when he does I will cry like a baby. I'm 22 and all of my childhood heroes are retired. The dead puck era had so much talent it was ridiculous

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
hfnoxEp.gif

Hug denied, Bettman. Looks so awkward :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad