Teemu Selanne number retirement is tonight

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Class act doing it when Winnipeg is in town. I wouldn't mind seeing both teams retire his number.

One of the few great players who will be remembered as being a member of two different teams.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
One of my favourite players of all time. Probably in my top 3. He was wearing #8 at the time I started getting to pick my number in hockey and I wore #8 for years because of him.

JS91

May 14, 2014
...one more year? No?

Going to be very emotional night for Teemu and the fans. He definitely earned this.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I remember feeling angry when the trade happened.

Teemu Selanne was one of the few bright spots for a Jets 1.0 fan.

In another time, the Jets would never have moved and Selanne would have been our version of Jean Beliveau.

Congratulations Teemu!

selanne.jpg

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
number retirement should be reserved for players that play their whole career in same team. Not dudes who signs stacked teams.

3cb2fd6e323db-86-1.jpg

http://articles.philly.com/2000-06-15/sports/25602054_1_entry-draft-doug-maclean-chris-pronger

The problem with that logic is that it's a different era. You now have to worry about cap numbers, an annual budget of tens of millions of dollar every year, and even free agency in general (where that player might want to "go home", play with a certain teammate, or might just want that last big payday that the team might not be able to afford.)

He played 15 years and over 1000 games (regular and postseason) in Anaheim. I think they have the right to retire his #8.

Now if any other team tried to retire his number - looking your way, Colorado - I might agree with what you're saying.

Luca

Nov 22, 2006
My comment was not aimed towards Selanne particularly. This thread just happened to be here right (or wrong) time.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Via Ducks Twitter - Coverage starts in Southern California on Prime and the rest of the US via the NHL Network at 4:30 PST. Canadian peeps - TSN3 will have the ceremony starting at 5 PM PST. Those of you in Finland can watch it live on Viasat (Tweet implied they will be using the TSN feed).

Jul 22, 2012
I'm guessing TSN is going to block me from watching with their regional ********. Oh well. Crappy free streaming, here I come :help:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm hearing rumors the Jets are going to come out for warmups wearing vintage #13 jets jerseys.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That highlight video brings back memories. You forget just how quick he was in his younger days. Guy could fly.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
My comment was not aimed towards Selanne particularly. This thread just happened to be here right (or wrong) time.

So if it's not about Teemu, then why say anything at all?

Gotta be there, gonna shed a few years, not gonna lie

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3