Olympics: Teemu Selänne - Emotional interview

premadonna

Oct 5, 2012
I think Selänne and Pronger eventually made up and became good buddies when they were playing together in Anaheim.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Kummola Mafia. So Teemu admitted the Sauna Buddies are true

mikko1995

May 30, 2010
All the Finnish interviews from the bronze medal game (At least I think so):

-Alright gentleman, congratulations on the bronze, Kimmo, Olli and Tuomo.

KT: "We played great and thank you. We didn't leave any room for ifs or buts. And the numbers show we were the better team today."

-What an end to your and Teemu's national team career, as well as maybe someone else's.

KT: "Yeah, this is it...... It is over."

-This is such an emotional moment that the interviewer is almost crying as well.

OJ: "Yeah, a lot of the older guys have had a great career with the national team and the team has given a lot. I thought that my national team career was done four years ago, but fortunately I was able to make the team, and let's see what the future brings. For Kime, Sami and Teemu this was their last game for sure and it was a great way to end, we managed to play this kind of a game for them and got the medal. The guys have done a great job for Finnish hockey."

-Kimmo, what do your tears tell about?

KT: "Well, everyone can guess. After all these years of work with great guys, and (I've) nothing else (to say) but thank you and goodbye."

-And the torch moves forward, will you continue, Olli?

OJ: "Yeah, I'll keep playing and we'll start to concentrate on our club teams' games and we'll see what the future brings."

-Tuomo, you won't leave a tournament without a medal (he's won a medal in every single tournament he's played for with Finland).

TR: "The guys did such a great job that we couldn't leave without one. It was an amazing finish. This was a great team and (when you) look at how we played the bronze medal game, the goalie played amazing and we've had two other goalies with us the whole tournament; Antti Niemi for example hasn't complained once, but has been supporting us on and he's been training hard. And the four lines that played today, it's just great to play and the feeling of togetherness, personally there's nothing better than to experience this as a team."

-And this felt almost like a finals game.

TR: "Well, yeah. We were so close yesterday and we can always think about that, and today we decided that it's an honor to play for the Finnish national team and in the Olympics and I think it showed on the ice. Everyone of use had their heart in the game and everyone took it us an honor."

-Please, Teemu and Sami you can come here now. Okay, let's take Sami first. Sami, was this is it?

SS: "I believe so. An amazing feeling. An unbelievable group of guys and... just amazing, I have no words. A great bounce back after yesterdays' bad loss, and the guys, we talked after the game, that our goal was to medal and we had one more chance and today everyone put everything on the line."

-Kimmo Timonen just said 'thank you and goodbye', is it the same for you?

SS: "Unfortunately I think so. A lot of great memories and as you can see there are young guys coming from behind, and rightfully so. I think it's our time to move on."

-Yes, the torch moves on.

SS: "Absolutely. It's great to see Olli Määttä and Sami Vatanen... they had amazing tournaments and great for Finnish hockey."

-And you, Teemu, Kimmo. Unbelievably great players.

SS: "It's an amazing thing, to get to play with these guys. There's nothing else to say. We prepared for this since the summer, or actually since Vancouver and an amazing group of guys. (I) am without words."

-Yes. Kimmo even cried. Not too far away from you either.

SS: "It isn't. Pretty special, amazing competition (the whole Olympics), great venues and everything has been to a T. It's amazing to end it to a medal."

-And with Teemu standing next to you.

SS: "Yes. An amazing man, that number eight. It's mind blowing how he's still playing like he was twenty years old. Hopefully keeps playing longer."

-Thank you Sami for these years, the tears might come in the locker room.

SS: "Thank you."

And the Teemu interview is translated in the video's annotation.

wenkmen

Aug 12, 2009
Přelouč
-Alright gentleman, congratulations on the bronze, Kimmo, Olli and Tuomo.

KT: "We played great and thank you. We didn't leave any room for ifs or buts. And the numbers show we were the better team today."

-What an end to your and Teemu's national team career, as well as maybe someone else's.

KT: "Yeah, this is it...... It is over."

-This is such an emotional moment that the interviewer is almost crying as well.

OJ: "Yeah, a lot of the older guys have had a great career with the national team and the team has given a lot. I thought that my national team career was done four years ago, but fortunately I was able to make the team, and let's see what the future brings. For Kime, Sami and Teemu this was their last game for sure and it was a great way to end, we managed to play this kind of a game for them and got the medal. The guys have done a great job for Finnish hockey."

-Kimmo, what do your tears tell about?

KT: "Well, everyone can guess. After all these years of work with great guys, and (I've) nothing else (to say) but thank you and goodbye."

-And the torch moves forward, will you continue, Olli?

OJ: "Yeah, I'll keep playing and we'll start to concentrate on our club teams' games and we'll see what the future brings."

-Tuomo, you won't leave a tournament without a medal (he's won a medal in every single tournament he's played for with Finland).

TR: "The guys did such a great job that we couldn't leave without one. It was an amazing finish. This was a great team and (when you) look at how we played the bronze medal game, the goalie played amazing and we've had two other goalies with us the whole tournament; Antti Niemi for example hasn't complained once, but has been supporting us on and he's been training hard. And the four lines that played today, it's just great to play and the feeling of togetherness, personally there's nothing better than to experience this as a team."

-And this felt almost like a finals game.

TR: "Well, yeah. We were so close yesterday and we can always think about that, and today we decided that it's an honor to play for the Finnish national team and in the Olympics and I think it showed on the ice. Everyone of use had their heart in the game and everyone took it us an honor."

-Please, Teemu and Sami you can come here now. Okay, let's take Sami first. Sami, was this is it?

SS: "I believe so. An amazing feeling. An unbelievable group of guys and... just amazing, I have no words. A great bounce back after yesterdays' bad loss, and the guys, we talked after the game, that our goal was to medal and we had one more chance and today everyone put everything on the line."

-Kimmo Timonen just said 'thank you and goodbye', is it the same for you?

SS: "Unfortunately I think so. A lot of great memories and as you can see there are young guys coming from behind, and rightfully so. I think it's our time to move on."

-Yes, the torch moves on.

SS: "Absolutely. It's great to see Olli Määttä and Sami Vatanen... they had amazing tournaments and great for Finnish hockey."

-And you, Teemu, Kimmo. Unbelievably great players.

SS: "It's an amazing thing, to get to play with these guys. There's nothing else to say. We prepared for this since the summer, or actually since Vancouver and an amazing group of guys. (I) am without words."

-Yes. Kimmo even cried. Not too far away from you either.

SS: "It isn't. Pretty special, amazing competition (the whole Olympics), great venues and everything has been to a T. It's amazing to end it to a medal."

-And with Teemu standing next to you.

SS: "Yes. An amazing man, that number eight. It's mind blowing how he's still playing like he was twenty years old. Hopefully keeps playing longer."

-Thank you Sami for these years, the tears might come in the locker room.

SS: "Thank you."

And the Teemu interview is translated in the video's annotation.

Thank you very much indeed that is very kind of you

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
The interviewer is a dumbass though. He was basically trying to get Selanne to weep, as Timonen just minutes before this interview did. Kept asking stupid questions from non-Finnish players especially after a lost match; Statsny looked like he is going to punch him when the first question was about the bronze match. Also asked what was Carey Price's (!) bronze game prediction. :shakehead

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Is there anyone in the hockey world who doesn't like Teemu?

He's pretty unpopular with Wings fans, done a lot of whining over the years about supposedly biased refs in Detroit.

But yeah, pretty emotional interview. Never seen a TV guy in tears when asking the questions :laugh: And Bettman wants to stop the players from going to the Olympics? Sorry Gary, but you can't buy national pride.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
it just occurred to me after seeing this interview, we may very well be seeing the last 3 or so months of Teemu Selanne's career in the NHL :(

Hope he ends it off with a bang (or...you know, play for one more year!! :handclap:)

Lindros_for_rizzle_

Oct 20, 2005
I told my two sons a few weeks ago that there is only one man I love more than them and that is Teemu Selanne. I was the subject of all sorts of abuse, but I didn´t cave in and now I got my reward. They are eating crow as we speak.

Stephenson2*

This guy?
chris-pronger1.jpg

Anaheim+Ducks+v+Detroit+Red+Wings+Game+Two+O8u3c6HJcXNl.jpg

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Good and quite accurate translations.
Both, annotations in Selänne interview in opening post and those from mikko1995 for the second video including Timonen, Jokinen, Ruutu and Salo.

I unfortunately missed the interviews of Stastny and Price. Have to find those.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
The interviewer is BS! I hated every interview, they didn't have almost any real questions about anything that was relevant. I would have rather listened to the Tami "Finnish Don Cherry" Tamminen!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad