OT: Technical Questions

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
This year the gap between the picture quality of the best LED/LCD TVs and the best plasma TVs has grown wider than ever. Unless you're interested in overspending for buying a Sharp Elite, there's no 2012 LED TV that can come close to the picture quality of even midlevel plasmas like the Panasonic TC-PST50 and Samsung PNE6500.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This year the gap between the picture quality of the best LED/LCD TVs and the best plasma TVs has grown wider than ever. Unless you're interested in overspending for buying a Sharp Elite, there's no 2012 LED TV that can come close to the picture quality of even midlevel plasmas like the Panasonic TC-PST50 and Samsung PNE6500.

Thanks though I'm more encline to from 40 to 46 inches...not really bigger than that. So I will take a look at what Panasonic and Samsung offers in that regard.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I don't really want SMART just thought it was a neat feature. I'm not that geek so the fact that I could have this directly on my TV with not a whole lot of other things to do seemed fine with me. But true that my main concern is picture quality. Great advice for the shelf by the way.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of smart TV's. I don't have a practical use for one. Based on your budget I wouldn't sacrifice picture quality for added features you're unlikely to use. Just my opinion. I have read reviews where people love them though, but they're just not for me.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So my GF recently got an electric keyboard for christmas. She tried plugging in earphones into the earphone jack and the earphone plug is too small. I'm not sure why this is but I would assume she needs an adapter of some sort? Can anyone explain to me how this works?

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
if she has typicall headphones she has 3.5mm jack. usually instruments require headphones with 1/4 inch jacks. (6.65mm). she can get an adapter and lose audio quality of buy headphones with a 1/4 inch jack

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
So my GF recently got an electric keyboard for christmas. She tried plugging in earphones into the earphone jack and the earphone plug is too small. I'm not sure why this is but I would assume she needs an adapter of some sort? Can anyone explain to me how this works?

Standard headphones have a 1/4" jack, you need a 1/4 to 1/8" adapter. Very easy to find at most electronics stores.

Edit: Sorry TheCanasianfrasian I didn't see your post. Depends on the size of both. You probably need a 1/8 to 1/4" adapter if you're talking about earphones made for ipods and such.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
if she has typicall headphones she has 3.5mm jack. usually instruments require headphones with 1/4 inch jacks. (6.65mm). she can get an adapter and lose audio quality of buy headphones with a 1/4 inch jack

I had a piano class when I was at Vanier and I was the only dork who had a pair of headphones that could plug directly into the pianos. The teacher would go around with her little adapter when testing students, then get to me, and not know what the **** was going on. Love my big fat old headphones.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
I had a piano class when I was at Vanier and I was the only dork who had a pair of headphones that could plug directly into the pianos. The teacher would go around with her little adapter when testing students, then get to me, and not know what the **** was going on. Love my big fat old headphones.

older quality headphones had the typical 1/4'' jack you could plug in keyboards, amplifiers, mixing tables, etc.

now even when buying audiophile type headphones, most brands offer both types of jacks.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

How bad is the quality loss? Any good adapters to preserve audio quality?

I got her stereo headphones for christmas and would hate to lose that quality.

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...0153&langId=200&productId=8198552921666438605

FWIW, I'm not crazy enough to pay that price. It was reduced significantly when I got it.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Not sure if anyone is good with internet connections but basically I have a problem.

Basically, my internet connection was perfect until one day it suddenly stopped working. I reinstalled the drivers from the website of the manufacturer and I was once again able to connect to the internet. The problem however was I no longer had a connection on my guest account and even on my main account I could not sign in to places like school anymore. I could only sign in on one account and residential wifi. Dunno why.

Anyone know where to look? google is flooded with the general idea that wifi plainly doesnt work but for me its selective.

Pr3Va1L

Jul 2, 2008

Wut ?

You use Monster cables and Beats, right ? :sarcasm:

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
How bad is the quality loss? Any good adapters to preserve audio quality?

I got her stereo headphones for christmas and would hate to lose that quality.

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...0153&langId=200&productId=8198552921666438605

FWIW, I'm not crazy enough to pay that price. It was reduced significantly when I got it.

I wouldn't worry about the loss of sound quality, there might be a little but it should be minimal. I like to browse at Amazon to get an idea of selection or prices.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ch-alias=aps&field-keywords=headphone+adapter

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Question about GPS.

Basically, I have a GPS on my phone like everybody else but I plan to go on vacation in the states and renting a car. GPS option is pretty much 100$ extra so I figured might as well buy my own here and bring it. My only question is, if I do that do I have all the maps? How do I know what it comes with?

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Question about GPS.

Basically, I have a GPS on my phone like everybody else but I plan to go on vacation in the states and renting a car. GPS option is pretty much 100$ extra so I figured might as well buy my own here and bring it. My only question is, if I do that do I have all the maps? How do I know what it comes with?

Why not use your phone. Get a GPS app that has offline maps.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
How will I know where I am? That's what I care about It's not as re. The offline maps can work but wouldn't be as effective I think. Any suggestions I can try out?

The gps doesn't require data the app commnicates directly with gps antenna on phone. It's not as precise without data but still within 600M.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
The gps doesn't require data the app commnicates directly with gps antenna on phone. It's not as precise without data but still within 600M.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that you'll get pinpoint accuracy. It all depends on the quality of the maps.

As a test, take your phone, cache a certain area of Google Maps for offline use, turn off all data and use the offline maps with GPS.

I'm pretty sure it will be pretty accurate. It's triangulation via cell towers that is not precise. Both triangulation and GPS would be ideal though.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Actually, I'm pretty sure that you'll get pinpoint accuracy. It all depends on the quality of the maps.

As a test, take your phone, cache a certain area of Google Maps for offline use, turn off all data and use the offline maps with GPS.

I'm pretty sure it will be pretty accurate. It's triangulation via cell towers that is not precise. Both triangulation and GPS would be ideal though.

Isn't a phone GPS on data? Depending of course if you have a Garmin phone or something.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Isn't a phone GPS on data? Depending of course if you have a Garmin phone or something.

Most smartphones have a standalone gps antenna in the phone connected to the circuitry. However some features required by mapping software/apps require a data connection to help with triangulating (and other extra features[restaurant reviews/gas station prices ect) but many have an offline (no data) mode which allows you to just use the internal GPS chip , all Garmin (or any company for that matter) is give you the mapping information for the location in question (street names/cities/buildings ect).
Essentially if your phone's GPS applications gives you the maps to where you are traveling you will be able to use your gps to pinpoint location without data connection.

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

You are correct was late at night made a mistake , inversed what I wanted to say , I was trying to say that GPS hardware is responsible for maps triangulating all the data connection does is transfer metadata and helps with location accuracy.

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Most smartphones have a standalone gps antenna in the phone connected to the circuitry. However some features required by mapping software/apps require a data connection to help with triangulating (and other extra features[restaurant reviews/gas station prices ect) but many have an offline (no data) mode which allows you to just use the internal GPS chip , all Garmin (or any company for that matter) is give you the mapping information for the location in question (street names/cities/buildings ect).
Essentially if your phone's GPS applications gives you the maps to where you are traveling you will be able to use your gps to pinpoint location without data connection.

I never did a follow up but I have an iPhone, without wifi/data connection I'm pretty much looking at an offline map I cached. Suppose I want to know where I am now or directions, it would be impossible to know, correct?

Which brings me back to original question. If I get a GPS from say future shop, will it have all maps in USA standard with turn by turn available? I figure its easier because my parents don't have a smartphone and often travel so might as well get it for more than me...assuming it does what I want it to. I've heard for certain regions you need to buy maps and all that stuff, that's why I ask.

terreur

Jan 27, 2006
Montreal
IPAD question

My dad wants to buy my mother an IPAD for christmas. He was looking to see if he should buy one with cellular data or only the wifi one.

Anyway, my mother will mostly (95%) of the time use it at home with our wifi. So she won't need a monthly plan or anything. But on some rare occasions, when they are traveling or on the road, she probably would like to have a 2-3 days data plan since she's not familiar with wifi connection and all and she could find it "tough" to always find a network and all... Do theses kinds of 2-3 days pay as you go exist? or you really need a monthly plan? I've been doing a little research to find anything like it and I wasn't able to find any answer...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
My dad wants to buy my mother an IPAD for christmas. He was looking to see if he should buy one with cellular data or only the wifi one.

Anyway, my mother will mostly (95%) of the time use it at home with our wifi. So she won't need a monthly plan or anything. But on some rare occasions, when they are traveling or on the road, she probably would like to have a 2-3 days data plan since she's not familiar with wifi connection and all and she could find it "tough" to always find a network and all... Do theses kinds of 2-3 days pay as you go exist? or you really need a monthly plan? I've been doing a little research to find anything like it and I wasn't able to find any answer...

I'm not sure about plans but if your mother has a smartphone she can always do a hotspot when necessary.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

First of all it depends on where you're travelling to. Rural Quebec is a lot different then going to the U.S. or going to Europe. Once you know where you normally go to and then finding out what telecom providers offer where you're going to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad