OT: Technical Questions

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
so i recently moved stuff around in my room, everything is in place, spent days getting it right, only to realize that since my bibliotheque thing with my tv in it is now too far away from the cable that is supposed to plug into the illico box.

I really don't wanna have to call videotron to come 'fix' this and have to cough up god knows how much cash.

I just wanted to know if i can get the right cable or junction to extend the cable (keeping in mind i have hd digital cable) at any electronics store. Also would like to know if extending the cable will cause degradation in the signal.

thanks for any help.

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
Just get a longer cable at The Source(Old Radio Shack). Don't worry about degradation, maybe if you were installing an extra 150 feet yes, but not for enough for a room.

Also if you call Videotron, there should be no charge for that kind of stuff, but since it's not priority, you may have to wait a day or 2 for them to be in your neighborhood.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
You might want to check this out, particularly the Important section.
http://www.videotron.com/services/en/service_clientele/8_6_1_3_2.jsp

so they want you to use their own splitter. dumb.

You could use a splitter if you want. I'm using one for my TV and never had any troubles. I did have problems with it coming to my modem at one point but that was a long time ago.

I've had problems in the past where videotron has had to come because channels kept flipping out on me (most of the time while watching hockey games). Metrognomes link isn't bs'ing, because when the videotron guy came he changed the splitters and that seemed to make the problem go away. I figure if i just get the coax cable like you say, use my splitter, i can just call them up to 'fix' it and there's no way they can charge me.

also, is the tv that is on the splitter receiving hd signal? If so, how old is that splitter. Mine seem to be fairly old.

TheHMan

Feb 2, 2008
Montreal
Extending the cable won't do much, but a splitter might. It depends on how bad it was to begin with and how bad the splitter is. If you don't need to split the signal for any reason, then just go to a hardware store and buy one of these:

le-41084fxf_1_150r.jpg

That's actually a piece of a wall plate where one end screws into the other to link two cables. You may be able to get it without the plastic housing. You can join two cables this way without recrimping an existing cable.

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Extending the cable won't do much, but a splitter might. It depends on how bad it was to begin with and how bad the splitter is. If you don't need to split the signal for any reason, then just go to a hardware store and buy one of these:

le-41084fxf_1_150r.jpg

That's actually a piece of a wall plate where one end screws into the other to link two cables. You may be able to get it without the plastic housing. You can join two cables this way without recrimping an existing cable.

thanks for the advice, i hope i can find one.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Anyone know how to 100% clear your iphone? I have a 3G but a guy at work offered me same cash it costs for me to upgrade to have my old one. So i'm thinking, take his cash, get free phone upgrade lol Only issue is, i don't want him or anyone to be able to retrieve my old settings or files on my current phone. I know there's reset the phone to factory defaults but that keeps contact lists, settings and so on, any way I can erase it all in one shot?

TheHMan

Feb 2, 2008
Montreal
Anyone know how to 100% clear your iphone? I have a 3G but a guy at work offered me same cash it costs for me to upgrade to have my old one. So i'm thinking, take his cash, get free phone upgrade lol Only issue is, i don't want him or anyone to be able to retrieve my old settings or files on my current phone. I know there's reset the phone to factory defaults but that keeps contact lists, settings and so on, any way I can erase it all in one shot?

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...-default-factory-settings-with-recovery-mode/

Unless you have some terrible secret that absolutely must not get out, then this should do it.

If you do, then the only way to be sure:

sledgehammer.jpg

MetroGnome

Oct 18, 2008
Does anyone know where I can get a VHS converted into a DVD?

I will go crazy if my VCR shreds another one of my VHS tapes to pieces. :puppy:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Does anyone know where I can get a VHS converted into a DVD?

I will go crazy if my VCR shreds another one of my VHS tapes to pieces. :puppy:

Check out a place called "Montreal Home Movies". One of my relatives used them to convert her wedding videos from VHS to DVD. I couldn't tell you if they are expensive or not. She seemed quite happy with the results.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

give it a magnet bath.

neofury*

They use their own splitter and they put a thing on it that doesn't allow you yourself to make changes to it. At least that's how it was in my first apartment. When I left I couldn't even take the modem cause it was locked onto it :biglaugh:

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
They use their own splitter and they put a thing on it that doesn't allow you yourself to make changes to it. At least that's how it was in my first apartment. When I left I couldn't even take the modem cause it was locked onto it :biglaugh:

Heh, I remember when we had to return Videotron's modem we already had it unlocked.. we cut the metal piece covering the cable screw or whatever. That was fun.

MetroGnome

Oct 18, 2008
Check out a place called "Montreal Home Movies". One of my relatives used them to convert her wedding videos from VHS to DVD. I couldn't tell you if they are expensive or not. She seemed quite happy with the results.

So a place like this actually exists! This is great, thank you. :)

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
So here I am testing to see if this forum actually gets visited, and if it's really improved ;)

Heres the deal. My printer worked fine with windows XP. I recently got windows 7 and my printer isn't working anymore. I went in control panel in the printer section, and it said to troubleshoot my printer. Then it says I'm missing a driver for it. Windows 7 locates the right driver for me, I download it, then when I'm installing it it says that I don't have enough RAM (it says I have 504 RAM and I need 512 RAM).

So...
1. My computer said it was 512 RAM when I bought it, where did those 8 RAM go?
2. Why did this printer work on XP but not on Windows 7?
3. How do I get it to print, preferably without buying another printer, computer or RAM?

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm a major noob when it comes to computers.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
So here I am testing to see if this forum actually gets visited, and if it's really improved ;)

Heres the deal. My printer worked fine with windows XP. I recently got windows 7 and my printer isn't working anymore. I went in control panel in the printer section, and it said to troubleshoot my printer. Then it says I'm missing a driver for it. Windows 7 locates the right driver for me, I download it, then when I'm installing it it says that I don't have enough RAM (it says I have 504 RAM and I need 512 RAM).

So...
1. My computer said it was 512 RAM when I bought it, where did those 8 RAM go?
2. Why did this printer work on XP but not on Windows 7?
3. How do I get it to print, preferably without buying another printer, computer or RAM?

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm a major noob when it comes to computers.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

you're running windows 7 on 512 mb of ram? :amazed:

that might not necessarily be your problem, but it will be.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm very raw when it comes to technical computer knowledge but i'd probably manually search the drivers for windows 7 directly on the company's website. I have no clue why it would say u have less ram than you actually do. I googled it briefly and it said your video card is draining that 8 mb. I'm not sure why in xp is worked though. I'm sure there's someone far far far more qualified than me.

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
you're running windows 7 on 512 mb of ram? :amazed:
This and also someone else mentioned he should post his specs and one other deal if the drivers won't update or install is try compatibility mode...Some older printers,web cams etc just are not compatible with win 7 and yeah 512??

the memory requirements. Basically, Microsoft recommends a minimum of 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit versions of the operating system and a minimum of 2 GB for 64-bit versions. If you plan on taking advantage of the Windows XP Mode feature, you should bump those requirements up to include an additional 1 GB of RAM.
One of the big differences here is that Microsoft's recommendations for Windows 7 seem to be a lot more realistic than the ones given for Vista. That is, with Vista, most people needed much more than the minimum requirements stated for the OS to run properly. With Windows 7, the stated requirements seem adequate. However, you're still much better off if you have 4 GB of RAM, especially if you're running a 64-bit version.
Will Windows 7 run on less? The user community says yes – Windows 7 can boot up in systems with less RAM, but remember that there is a difference between just being able to boot your PC and actually being able to do anything with it. So, if you actually plan to use any applications and don't want your system to slow to a crawl, it's best not to try to scrape by with less than the minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00