OT: Technical Questions

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I'm not sure about plans but if your mother has a smartphone she can always do a hotspot when necessary.

Yep. This is your answer. If she or your dad have a smartphone.. just use that one as a hotspot.

95% of the time using wifi.. might as well stick with a wifi only ipad.

I dont think pay as you go exists.. but you should call to find out.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Quick question, is there a difference between cell & data coverage for Videotron & Fido mobile networks?

I'm with fido, considering changing.

Sir Jacques Demers

May 5, 2006
Quick question, is there a difference between cell & data coverage for Videotron & Fido mobile networks?

I'm with fido, considering changing.

Big difference. Fido uses the Rogers network, Videotron has their own network which runs on different frequencies - and is only in Quebec and Ottawa. (Rest of Canada = roaming)

Load up this page to see the map http://www.videotron.com/residentiel/mobile/couverture#tab/cat2360088

Uncheck everything except 4G HSPA+ 21mbps. That's the only part of the map that is relevant.

They'll probably have slightly worse coverage than Fido/Rogers in some rural areas, but urban coverage is probably comparable.

They also use 1700Mhz AWS frequencies, which as far as I know penetrate buildings less effectively than Rogers/Fido 850Mhz. Some phones are also not compatible with 1700Mhz.

HSPA+ speeds will likely be better on Videotron because they rolled out the network after Rogers did. I usually have LTE turned off, so this is a positive point in favor of Videotron.

This is my 2c, I've never been with Videotron.

Short answer:
- Not all phones are compatible with both networks.
- Rogers/Fido will probably have better reception
- Videtron will have a faster HSPA+ (non-LTE) network, which means better speeds when you can't reach an LTE tower.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00