Value of: Tear down the Rangers

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
If gorto traded yandle at the deadline like he should have, we likely are only talking about the need to move Staal and G. I could live with nash I know he will score 30+ when healthy. I'd like to move step or brass for a stud rhd.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There is one problem with moving guys that need protection in the expansion draft for young players/prospects who are exempt, EVERY team is looking at this scenario and they likely aren't going to take on more players they could lose and give up quality assets that would be exempt. Doing what you suggest is the dream of every team right now.

fair enough!

BUT...
not every team has a full roster, there's a lot of deadwood that can be moved, and what we are talking about is an invisible factor in the cost that is negotiated between 2 teams.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Lundqvist to Dallas for one of their crap goalies(to be bought out) and picks/prospects who increase in quality the more of Hank's salary New York retains.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Evander Kane for Rick Nash

Terrible attitude vs terrible contract, what do you think?

I think it works. Though let's re-evaluate the "terrible contract" part once we see what some UFAs get starting tomorrow.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
If gorto traded yandle at the deadline like he should have, we likely are only talking about the need to move Staal and G. I could live with nash I know he will score 30+ when healthy. I'd like to move step or brass for a stud rhd.

IF Slats traded Nash last summer like he should have, we'd be reaping the benefits of it and wouldn't be having this discussion at all. Heck probably would have even been in the first round of this draft.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
IF Slats traded Nash last summer like he should have, we'd be reaping the benefits of it and wouldn't be having this discussion at all. Heck probably would have even been in the first round of this draft.

I don't think Nash is the problem at all. He came in with that contract. Sathers gave the wonder twins their contracts.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Shattenkirk (with extension) or 2017 1st, Rattie, and a goalie prospect for Nash @6mil how far off am I value wise?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
That's what happens when a player will only sign long term in very few places. I would totally rather Brassard but I don't think Shattenkirk would be able to reel him in for us.

Last thing I'd do is sell short on him to NYRs. Full price or wait till next year.

Don't want Rick Nash at all. Aging player with a huge cap hit

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Last thing I'd do is sell short on him to NYRs. Full price or wait till next year.

Don't want Rick Nash at all. Aging player with a huge cap hit

He is aging, but he still has a decent shot, and 5-6mil for 2 years could be worse. plus if they took the 1st round package we could still flip Shattenkirk for other stuff. Nash is definitely not my first choice tho.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
1. Stepan for Dumba & JEE

2. McDonagh for Barrie

3. Nash (1.8M ret.) for Nichushkin, Roussel, 2nd

4. Staal (1M ret.) for our own 2nd back

5. Sign Helm

Nichushkin Hayes Buchnevich
Miller Brassard Zuccarello
Kreider Helm JEE
Roussel Lindberg Fast
Hrivik

Skjei Barrie
Klein Dumba
Holden McIlrath
Girardi

Lundqvist
Raanta

**** no.

Not adding a 1st rounder onto Dumba for a guy we can't fit in our current cap situation. Maybe we'll throw in like a 3rd if you take a dump.

Last edited by a moderator:

Group Chat Legend*

fair enough!

BUT...
not every team has a full roster, there's a lot of deadwood that can be moved, and what we are talking about is an invisible factor in the cost that is negotiated between 2 teams.

Well unfortunately for the Rangers two teams with the best chance of swallowing such cap dumps are in their division.

Rangers are probably stuck with Girardi, and Staal will need retention.

Group Chat Legend*

**** no.

Not adding a 1st rounder onto Dumba for a guy we can't fit in our current cap situation. Maybe we'll throw in like a 3rd if you take a dump.

So you go from a 1st to unloadinf a cap dump and only giving a 3rd?

That doesnt even make sense haha.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Lundqvist really should go.

There's no rebuilding with Lunqvist here, both in terms of strategy (he will always win you too many games) and attitude (tearing down the roster for a tank while keeping him will never happen). Right now he's the most valuable piece so, in addition to preventing a rebuild, he's also the chip that you'd cash in the highest on in a rebuild.

With the market NYR are in, they'll never commit to a true rebuild though, and that's really where the conversation ends.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This should just be called the we want all new toys thread. The Rangers need to improve some areas but they are far from a tear down team.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
So you go from a 1st to unloadinf a cap dump and only giving a 3rd?

That doesnt even make sense haha.

Well I value Dumba and Stepan at pretty much the same level. I wouldn't really add much to Dumba to get Stepan. A 3rd for a dump seems reasonable for a team that's rebuilding (in this scenario).

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Well I value Dumba and Stepan at pretty much the same level. I wouldn't really add much to Dumba to get Stepan. A 3rd for a dump seems reasonable for a team that's rebuilding (in this scenario).

Dumba does not have the value Stepan has. Stepan was 64th in the NHL, all positions, in points per game last year. He was 35th, all positions, the year before, 85th the year before that and 29th the year before that. All told, I'm pretty positive he's top 50 in the entire league in points per game over the past four seasons. He is definitely top 50 among forwards and probably top 30 among centers. He's very good defensively, just turned 26 last week, and is signed to a better than market 6.5M cap hit until he's 31, which isn't old. He's a great player on a very good contract, in his prime who contributes on both sides of the ice and also has a ton of deep playoff experience.

Matt Dumba is only four years younger. He's got 44 points in his career. Absolutely has a lot of potential, there's no doubt about that, but he is in no way equal value with Stepan.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The Rangers are a mess. Can't contend because their skaters blow, can't rebuild because their goalie is too insanely good, cap situation sucks, prispect pool sucks, etc.

Oh, not that kind of tear down thread? Ah. Hmm. I guess I would want Kevin Hayes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad