Teams upset about non-cancellation of games due to weather

selkie

Feb 9, 2009
Niceville, FL
While you get that kind of snow amount, you don't get that kind of wind. I grew up in a place that got twice as much snow as urban Alberta every year, and as long as the snow wasn't blowing & drifting too much, it was no big deal. Then moved to a place that sees a single snowflake every 5-10 years but the tradeoff is hurricanes. The general 'close all bridges longer than a block' wind threshold is 40-45mph down here. And that's with pavement still dry. Icy and sustained 45mph winds would be a serious safely hazard, especially with a high profile vehicle like a team bus.

Speaking of hurricanes, anyone know what the alternate plans Florida and Tampa have in case of sustained arena damage from one? Tampa in particular is in a really bad location- based on the surge maps, it would not take a major hurricane to put a lot of water in the bottom of the St. Pete's Times Forum. Can they put down a sheet of ice in Orlando and work around Magic games, or are we talking essentially a short term relocation to Fort Myers?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
NHL has the best policy here. Protect the integrity of the schedule, who cares if it costs the teams a few thousand bucks? Unlike the NFL who severely damaged the Eagles chances at earning the bye by forcing them to play a fully rested Dallas team on 4 days rest next week, just to make sure NBC and the NFL can make the maximum amount of money.

Islanders and Devils are doing the right thing offering ticket exchanges as well.

That's not the NFL's fault. Your mayor was begging for it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
60+ MPH winds on the coast along with about 30+ inches. We have about 36, it seems like. 6 foot drifts. Our second home next to our main one is covered up to it's roof. One story home. Roof has about 2 feet of snow on it, as well.

This was near hurricane strength winds along with the heavens opening up with snow.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
I can undertsand why the clubs would be distressed over the decision to go aheaad with the games. These franchises rely on revenues generated within their building. We're not just talking ticket sales. Food and merchandise also keep the franchise going.

I realize that scheduling is tight at the best of times, but we are only talking about a few games, not a league wide standstill.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
mirtle
Wow ... Leafs apparently stranded at 2:30 a.m. near Newark, four hours after game ended. RT @Bozie42: Stilllll on thiSs bus not movinggggg

Back during the 1996 East Coast blizzard I was on a Sharks road trip which ended with games in Ottawa and Long Island. Our group was on one of the last planes in before they closed the NY airports. The Sharks were forced to land in Albany and take a 10+ hr bus ride.

When the Sharks players got to the Coliseum Marriott at like 1 in the morning, they were pissed to find that we had gotten there like 8 hrs before them (including a 3hr bus ride from LaGuardia to the Coliseum).

gmyx

Aug 14, 2008
Sensville
While you get that kind of snow amount, you don't get that kind of wind.

I'll give you that. I think the winds usually get to 30 to 35 mph. We do get some nice wind storms at least once a year - topping out at 60mph. Still, it's all perspective.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I can undertsand why the clubs would be distressed over the decision to go aheaad with the games. These franchises rely on revenues generated within their building. We're not just talking ticket sales. Food and merchandise also keep the franchise going.

I realize that scheduling is tight at the best of times, but we are only talking about a few games, not a league wide standstill.

That is very true and a good point to note. The teams make a killing on food and concession sales, especially draft beer and fountain soda.

The Devils have offered all ticket holders of last night's game a choice to attend one of three future designated games, so I think they will recoup most of the lost food and merchandise revenues they lost out on last night.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
While you get that kind of snow amount, you don't get that kind of wind. I grew up in a place that got twice as much snow as urban Alberta every year, and as long as the snow wasn't blowing & drifting too much, it was no big deal. Then moved to a place that sees a single snowflake every 5-10 years but the tradeoff is hurricanes. The general 'close all bridges longer than a block' wind threshold is 40-45mph down here. And that's with pavement still dry. Icy and sustained 45mph winds would be a serious safely hazard, especially with a high profile vehicle like a team bus.

Speaking of hurricanes, anyone know what the alternate plans Florida and Tampa have in case of sustained arena damage from one? Tampa in particular is in a really bad location- based on the surge maps, it would not take a major hurricane to put a lot of water in the bottom of the St. Pete's Times Forum. Can they put down a sheet of ice in Orlando and work around Magic games, or are we talking essentially a short term relocation to Fort Myers?

I would imagine if Tampa in general was still allright but the Forum was just messed up. They would make a temp home out of Expo hall again, since its rarely used and can seat about 10k fans a night.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I would imagine if Tampa in general was still allright but the Forum was just messed up. They would make a temp home out of Expo hall again, since its rarely used and can seat about 10k fans a night.

From what I can find in the NHL Constitution and By-Laws there are no provisions restricting alternative venues for Regular Season games - however under By-Law 27.13 if a teams home ice is not available during the playoffs (due to events beyond the Club's control) then their home playoff games would have to be played at some other teams NHL arena (subject to negotiated rental terms).

Had the Predators not lost in the first round last year, they likely would have had to play their subsequent "home" playoff games somewhere else (Atlanta, maybe, or play all games on their opponents' ice) due to the Nashville flooding and damage to the Bridgestone Arena.

Last edited:

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
From what I can find in the NHL Constitution and By-Laws there are no provisions restricting alternative venues for Regular Season games - however under By-Law 27.13 if a teams home ice is not available during the playoffs (due to events beyond the Club's control) then their home playoff games would have to be played at some other teams NHL arena (subject to negotiated rental terms).

Had the Predators not lost in the first round last year, they likely would have had to play their subsequent "home" playoff games somewhere else (Atlanta, maybe, or play all games on their opponents' ice) due to the Nashville flooding and damage to the Bridgestone Arena.

Yup, we would probably be forced to play in Miami in the Panthers arena if that were the case. Guess it could be worse, I would make the drive to watch their game.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Yup, we would probably be forced to play in Miami in the Panthers arena if that were the case. Guess it could be worse, I would make the drive to watch their game.

There was speculation that they might have played all 7 in San Jose - with Nashville being "home" and getting the gate for three games.

A neutral site would be more competitive, but an away "home" game would likely generate significantly higher revenues. Could the Preds have sold out at playoff prices in Miami or Atlanta or ???.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Imagine if you as a fan had braved the elimants, driven thru the storm, took hours to get there, paid to park, hoofed it to the arena and then were told the game was cancelled!@#$%^&*(

Further yet you are an out of town fan and had born the costs of hotels, maybe rental car, airfare etc. etc.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
The mayor of Philly. You should know what I mean. Not that difficult. Nice job avoiding the statement at hand, though. The Mayor of Philly wanted the game postponed. Laughably, you blame the NFL. :laugh:
All the stories I saw said the mayor just declared the snow emergency, but told the NFL the parking lot and streets near the stadium would be cleared if they held the game.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
of course, I have been assured on this very board that selling tickets is an outmoded business model.

I guess the harsh weather will test that strange conceit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad