Teams upset about non-cancellation of games due to weather

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
RealKyper
#NHL call on not cancelling games because of the storm have teams upset. Near empty buildings have clubs losing significant dollars tonite

5000 and change in NJ.

Not to mention pissed STH who may have missed the game.

AHL canceled Worcester-Portland game (rescheduled for 1/18).

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
NHL has the best policy here. Protect the integrity of the schedule, who cares if it costs the teams a few thousand bucks? Unlike the NFL who severely damaged the Eagles chances at earning the bye by forcing them to play a fully rested Dallas team on 4 days rest next week, just to make sure NBC and the NFL can make the maximum amount of money.

Islanders and Devils are doing the right thing offering ticket exchanges as well.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
NHL has the best policy here. Protect the integrity of the schedule, who cares if it costs the teams a few thousand bucks? Unlike the NFL who severely damaged the Eagles chances at earning the bye by forcing them to play a fully rested Dallas team on 4 days rest next week, just to make sure NBC and the NFL can make the maximum amount of money.

Islanders and Devils are doing the right thing offering ticket exchanges as well.

:laugh:

And the Canes offered exchanges as well. 11k still showed up though

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
As a Vikings fan it's mind boggling the amount of weather delays this season. Still, the NHL is in the right: The teams, refs, and broadcasters are able to make the trip. If the fans can't make the trip, refund the money.

Magnum Crackoff

Nov 14, 2006
I agree with the NHL here, even if there is a blizzard, fans can still attend, just put on your winter tires. Hockey games are played indoors so the only way a game should be cancelled is if a team can't get to the arena due to X reasons. Even with the mightiest of blizzard in Winnipeg or Quebec City, the arena would be jam packed, especially versus Montreal and Toronto.

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
I agree with the NHL here, even if there is a blizzard, fans can still attend, just put on your winter tires. Hockey games are played indoors so the only way a game should be cancelled is if a team can't get to the arena due to X reasons. Even with the mightiest of blizzard in Winnipeg or Quebec City, the arena would be jam packed, especially versus Montreal and Toronto.

Well, that's not exactly true. There was one game in Winnipeg that was affected by a severe blizzard. Only around 6,000 were able to make it that night.

Magnum Crackoff

Nov 14, 2006
:laugh: ok I'll give you that one...!

Still at almost a 10/1 population ratio in favor of Long Island the final result is 3000 in Long Island versus 6000 in Winnipeg.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
this is why all the teams should be playing in Florida, Texas, Arizona, California etc....:sarcasm:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I don't really have a problem with the games going ahead. The game is indoor, the teams can make it to the rink, the broadcasters can make it to the rink, so let's play some hockey. If the fans have some difficultly, advise them to take public transit if possible or put on some snow tires, leave early, and drive to the game. The only reason I would like to see a game canceled due to weather is if it is literally impossible to drive. The kind of stuff that comes around once a decade. Something like the the ice storm of 1998.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
I don't really have a problem with the games going ahead. The game is indoor, the teams can make it to the rink, the broadcasters can make it to the rink, so let's play some hockey. If the fans have some difficultly, advise them to take public transit if possible or put on some snow tires, leave early, and drive to the game. The only reason I would like to see a game canceled due to weather is if it is literally impossible to drive. The kind of stuff that comes around once a decade. Something like the the ice storm of 1998.
Habs still played, we (the military) got some free tickets and went to the game.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

In New Jersey, there was a state of emergency issued earlier in the day due to the blizzard that is still going on.
Everyone was urged to stay off the roads unless they are emergency responders.
The entire bus system was suspended and trains were limited and heavily delayed.

I give credit to the 5k fans that showed up, I ate my tix, it's just not worth it and plus I was told to stay home by our state officials.

This storm is crippling here not only because of the snow but with the strong winds that are gusting 50mph+ regularly which makes visibility blinding.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Risky.....

In New Jersey, there was a state of emergency issued earlier in the day due to the blizzard that is still going on.
The entire bus system was suspended and trains were limited and heavily delayed.

I give credit to the 5k fans that showed up, I ate my tix, it's just not worth it and plus I was told to stay home by our state officials.

This storm is crippling here not only because of the snow but with the strong winds that are gusting 50mph+ regularly which makes visibility blinding.

Too risky for fans to go out and watch the game. Shocked at the 8K that made it to the NJ and NYI games.

From a team point of view, you worry about the home team players for the Devils and Isles. All 22 guys on the roster, plus coaches, trainers, managers, etc. have to drive home in the storm. Could be very dangerous.

But, the Leafs and Habs were already in town, so I can understand them going ahead with the game.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Katie Strang (Islanders beat writer for Newsday) tweeted this morning that the NYI-Habs game was going to go as planned because both teams were already in Uniondale and that they had to change the officials assigned to the game because of weather.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
If the NHL was cancelling games due to severe snow storms, road conditions etc. then half of the Oilers home games would be cancelled every year.

mygameworn

Dec 24, 2007
Connecticut
mygameworn.net
I only heard the Isles complain about not getting the game postponed. Did other teams in the area complain as well? I could see Wanger getting upset because of the walk ups and what not.

Bridgeport played their game this afternoon at 3pm with no problems.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

The vast majority of people on Long Island and NYC do not have snow tires.

Major snowfall is relatively rare and it usually melts to horrible slush within a day or two.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I agree with the NHL here, even if there is a blizzard, fans can still attend, just put on your winter tires.

I'm in New Jersey right now, on the coastline ("Shore", if you'd prefer), and between the 40-50mph wind and heavy snow (12+ inches so far), winter tires wouldn't do anything.

My friend's 4WD Jeep got stuck ten feet from the driveway, and we spent an hour digging him out.

The hard part for the Devils tonight is their biggest convenience, the public transit system. Great everyday except snow days, then it grinds to a halt. Plus the state of emergency. The fact that 5K actually showed is incredible, but considering that averages dictate that apprx. 9K more should've showed up, I'd be angry if I owned a team too. Encouraging people to show up to a game when you can't drive more than 10mph even semi-safely is reckless.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

I'm in New Jersey right now, on the coastline ("Shore", if you'd prefer), and between the 40-50mph wind and heavy snow (12+ inches so far), winter tires wouldn't do anything.

My friend's 4WD Jeep got stuck ten feet from the driveway, and we spent an hour digging him out.
The hard part for the Devils tonight is their biggest convenience, the public transit system. Great everyday except snow days, then it grinds to a halt. Plus the state of emergency. The fact that 5K actually showed is incredible, but considering that averages dictate that apprx. 9K more should've showed up, I'd be angry if I owned a team too. Encouraging people to show up to a game when you can't drive more than 10mph even semi-safely is reckless.

Welcome to winter....sounds like a regular event leaving a game in Alberta or northern BC.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
I do (vaguely) recall a few years ago a game was cancelled and was rescheduled to the end of the season - Avs-Flames, I think. But I think the primary reason was because the Flames couldn't land in Denver for the game.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I do (vaguely) recall a few years ago a game was cancelled and was rescheduled to the end of the season - Avs-Flames, I think. But I think the primary reason was because the Flames couldn't land in Denver for the game.

Sharks @ Avs game about five years postponed a day (the Sharks played three games in three days -- players had to vote for that as it's not allowed in CBA) as they couldn't land in Denver (were in Colorado Springs).

Sharks game (hosting Wings) postponed as nearby river was at flood stage and it wasn't safe to get to arena. (Only NHL game to be rained out in league history.)

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
mirtle
Wow ... Leafs apparently stranded at 2:30 a.m. near Newark, four hours after game ended. RT @Bozie42: Stilllll on thiSs bus not movinggggg

Came to post this. As I said earlier:

"The game is indoor, the teams can make it to the rink, the broadcasters can make it to the rink, so let's play some hockey..."

Seeing how they are having trouble getting back to the hotel, obviously the snowfall is crippling things more then I thought it would. I still don't know if I think the game should be out right canceled but if the roads are that bad, I'll change my tune a bit from my previous post, and say that I wouldn't have an issue if it were canceled.

The hard part for the Devils tonight is their biggest convenience, the public transit system.
Great everyday except snow days, then it grinds to a halt. Plus the state of emergency. The fact that 5K actually showed is incredible, but considering that averages dictate that apprx. 9K more should've showed up, I'd be angry if I owned a team too. Encouraging people to show up to a game when you can't drive more than 10mph even semi-safely is reckless.

I know, I've driven in white out conditions before to get to a game. 2 and a half hour drive to get to Guelph, Ontario for an OHL game but totally worth it.:yo:

I suppose you have to forgive us here in Canada for expecting a little much. Several of the people in my neighbourhood found it pretty amusing with what was happening in Heathrow last week. The snowfall was nothing but it crippled England for quite a bit of time. This storm is obviously quite a bit worse but still, one comes to expect things like public transit still works and such. We do have to remember I guess that we probably spend more on snow removal and the like then any other country in the world. For instance, Pearson Airport (Toronto) is considered one of the best in the world in dealing with snow and ice and the problem with public transit dealing with a bad winter weather was mostly fixed a couple years ago when the government invested in new switches for our heavy rail network (they were freezing in place believe it or not, preventing trains from being able to switch tracks in places).

Anyways, if you guys have any trouble digging out, you could always take a tip from us here in Toronto...

af4419cd48fa9c2ffa6d40163a99.jpeg

Call in the army! (It's still a regular punchline in Canadian comedy, 11 years later)

gmyx

Aug 14, 2008
Sensville

Perspective is everything... that sounds like the big storms we get here in Ottawa every year - 3 to 4 times! I can see it being a problem for those not used to it. I remember in 2006 getting two unusual 20 inch storms - and I needed to get to the airport the mornign after. Again perspective, I had no issue and arrived on time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->