Friedman: Teams interested in Michael Del Zotto

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Michael Del Zotto is a bottom pairing defenseman that the Canucks have given top-4 minutes to, so a team who is looking to make a cup run can acquire a guy who has seen plenty of playing time the past couple of seasons and can play in all situations.

It's crazy how Canucks fans love Biega as a bottom pairing defenseman, but don't appreciate Del Zotto because of his salary, even though the Canucks have had almost unlimited cap space for the past five years. Del Zotto is objectively better than Biega, who will also likely be moved for a late pick. With the lack of rentals available, I imagine both players will have interest from multiple teams.

The Canucks will also probably move Hutton who I know on good authority Green doesn't like. This is a good year to acquire some late picks and maybe move up in the draft.

Reactions: sting101

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Michael Del Zotto is a bottom pairing defenseman that the Canucks have given top-4 minutes to, so a team who is looking to make a cup run can acquire a guy who has seen plenty of playing time the past couple of seasons and can play in all situations.

It's crazy how Canucks fans love Biega as a bottom pairing defenseman, but don't appreciate Del Zotto because of his salary, even though the Canucks have had almost unlimited cap space for the past five years. Del Zotto is objectively better than Biega, who will also likely be moved for a late pick. With the lack of rentals available, I imagine both players will have interest from multiple teams.

The Canucks will also probably move Hutton who I know on good authority Green doesn't like. This is a good year to acquire some late picks and maybe move up in the draft.
:laugh:
Don’t even know where to start with this awful post.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Well I was going to propose Carcone back to you guys for MDZ

But then I realized that he was a physical player, Babcock wouldn't play him, and it would end up being another Leivo situation, which would make the Carcone thing even funnier.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
MDZ for a pick with conditions attached to it. Canucks can retain 50% also
I don’t know if the Canucks have retained salary during JB tenure...

Conditions are fine though.... 5 rounder...

Drops to 6th if he plays less than 20 games...

Pretty low risk... his salary will be low by tdl as well.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Biega is objectively better than Del Zotto.
That’s stats back it up too. Bulldog is a highly underrated #7/8 D.

If MDZ can return any draft pick. Could be from 2021 if need be. I’ll take it. Just get him off the Canucks. My hope is someone gets really desperate and offers us a 4th if we add those 2 extra 6th’s we have

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I don’t know if the Canucks have retained salary during JB tenure...

I believe he retained salary on Hansen going to the Sharks. 3m at the TDL is less of course, but he would be a bottom pair or extra D for a team acquiring him so the cheaper the better as they may want to try add another piece for a playoff push as well

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Oh yeah. There's a huge behind the scenes bidding war for Chris Tanev right now too. Like huge, insane, crazy crazy interest.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks turn MDZ into anything at the deadline it'll be a bloomin' miracle. Two years ago he was an impending UFA with the Flyers and they couldn't leverage him into anything either.

Of course Benning's other big UFA signing that year was Gagner. And the last time I looked he was plying his trade with the Marlies. So they won't get anything for him either.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Please trade him for anything. He's in the press box night after night.

His contract expires after this year so not a big deal, but getting a low pick would be a win.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
I don't think MDZ is as bad as he has shown at the beginning of the year. He played decently well last year. Chances are, if he gets traded, he'll put up some effort before hitting UFA. Sitting him in Vancouver isn't doing anyone a favor.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
He could be an "okay-ish" rental for a mid round pick (4th-6th) depending on the team offering. He can skate and offers some physical upside. However, he's nothing more than depth IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad