LeBrun: Teams considering offersheeting Oettinger

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
IF it’s it true…I can see three teams being froggy: Arizona and Chicago…

For Arizona, the math is obvious to say nothing of advertising a foundation begun on the ice to go with their new arena proposal.

Chicago simply because there’s space and tremendous need.

I wish there was feasibility in Toronto, but there isn’t.

But the third team is most likely to prevail: Dallas will lock him up. Can’t see a GM like Nill succumbing to that type of push. Might be costly and could be disruptive though.

Terrible tactic.

Arizona and Chicago aren’t surrendering their Bedard lottery tickets for Oettinger.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Fat chance lol this is pure agent fodder
I find this :laugh: Considering that 95% of the league is either over the cap or tight up against it. Only 6 to 7 teams could comfortably afford to offer sheet Jake Oettinger.

To be fair, the original tweet was from a month ago. Somebody bumped the thread with a more recent article about Oettinger/Dallas being at a standstill.

And a couple of those teams (Ottawa/Buffalo) don't currently have the required 3rd rounder which would be needed for most of the offer sheet ranges.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Feels like a loophole to tampering rules to put this out there. Now Oettinger has more leverage and Dallas has more urgency to get an extension done by the 13th.
He's a free agent.

He can negotiate with any team in the league. Tampering is not possible because Dallas doesn't hold exclusive bargaining rights. Same is true of every unsigned RFA.

No team will give up an unprotected 2023 first-round pick.

It's hard to imagine a successful offer sheet that doesn't require one.

Arizona and Chicago aren’t surrendering their Bedard lottery tickets for Oettinger.
No team would. Not even Colorado. The downside is too large to fathom.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
do-it-come-on.gif

Reactions: jmelm

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
as someone else posted, if Im Sakic Id totally do it. would be difficult for the Avs then to get under the cap, but it would solve the biggest hole in the team for the next decade. worst case scenario, you screw a divisional rival cap structure. now, do I see Sakic actually doing it? nope, because they just traded for Georgiev and signed him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
as someone else posted, if Im Sakic Id totally do it. would be difficult for the Avs then to get under the cap, but it would solve the biggest hole in the team for the next decade. worst case scenario, you screw a divisional rival cap structure. now, do I see Sakic actually doing it? nope, because they just traded for Georgiev and signed him.

Avs are missing their 2023 2nd and 3rd rounders. Unless they got one or both of them back, they couldn't sign Oettinger to a valid offer sheet.

1.386 mil - 2.1 mil = 3rd round pick
2.1 mil - 4.2 mil = 2nd round pick
4.2 mil - 6.3 mil = 1st round pick + 3rd round pick
6.3 mil - 8.4 mil = 1st round pick + 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick
8.4 mil - 10.5 mil = 2 1st round picks + 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick
10.5+ mil = 4 1st round picks

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Doesn't seem surprising that it would be a tough negotiation as Dallas is thinking ok you had a heck of a series but what have you done overall and Oettinger is saying this is what I am now, one of the top goalies in the league.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Avs are missing their 2023 2nd and 3rd rounders. Unless they got one or both of them back, they couldn't sign Oettinger to a valid offer sheet.

1.386 mil - 2.1 mil = 3rd round pick
2.1 mil - 4.2 mil = 2nd round pick
4.2 mil - 6.3 mil = 1st round pick + 3rd round pick
6.3 mil - 8.4 mil = 1st round pick + 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick
8.4 mil - 10.5 mil = 2 1st round picks + 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick
10.5+ mil = 4 1st round picks
not really all that hard to recoup a 3rd round pick, if it was necessary though. and guys like Girard or Toews would easily bring back even better picks.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
And you guys think that Dallas would let go of Oettinger for what is likely to be somewhere between 29-32nd overall, if it's Colorado that does it? LOL.

Honestly, a team that I could see trying an offer sheet is Buffalo, if they think that they're a goalie away from the postseason. I could see them doing something like a 5x$6M AAV, an intentional overpay, to pry him out of Dallas. A true #1 goalie for them might be more important for them than a pick in the 7-14 range, and considering that clubs like Chicago and Arizona exist, the Sabres are not likely to get Bedard in the vast majority of circumstances. A scenario like this, I could see: IMO The Most Likely Team to Do An Offer Sheet This Season - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
not really all that hard to recoup a 3rd round pick, if it was necessary though. and guys like Girard or Toews would easily bring back even better picks.

The caveat is that it has to be your original pick if you're trying to go the offer sheet route. As mentioned earlier in the thread, there was a case where the other GM declined to trade it back because he didn't want to enable an offer sheet. Brian Burke had to give up a 2nd+3rd to get Toronto's original 2nd back to have the threat of a Phil Kessel offer sheet.

Reactions: Guttersniped

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
They didn't do it to save face. They planned that move for a while (not necessarily via the OS, but the FO was sniffing around for a long time). Kotkaniemi isn't so much a bad player as he is an extremely young and raw one. They wanted a succession plan to Trocheck and Jordan Staal and were able to take advantage of a capped out team that tried to poach them earlier to get their man 1-2 seasons ahead of schedule.
They're supposed to be a contender. If paying Kotkaniemi $5m is part of some big plan... yikes

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Did they really get wrecked? If anything Carolina wrecked themselves, overpaying a shitty player only to double down and overpay him long term to save face.
This is what happens when owners don’t mind their G*d D*mn Business. The kotkaniemi play wasn’t a Waddell play, he was just doing what his boss wanted. And now they have a replacement level nhler at a 4.8 mil caphit for years in a flat cap era. Dunedin played himself

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
He's a free agent.

He can negotiate with any team in the league. Tampering is not possible because Dallas doesn't hold exclusive bargaining rights. Same is true of every unsigned RFA.

My post was prior to July 15th. But it probably doesn't matter in the long run as most RFA's hold out. But I still have an issue with putting that messenging out while the team is still within the exclusive negotiation window.

Last edited:

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Perhaps not. Irrespective of who attempts, my point is: Stars match any offer.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
They're supposed to be a contender. If paying Kotkaniemi $5m is part of some big plan... yikes

Canes have a history of playing the long game more often than other contending teams. Them making a futures move in the middle of their contending period is pretty consistent with their MO, which is why they never have any problem with own-rentaling their UFAs and letting them get big contracts elsewhere. Having 22-year old KK (who's OK now but could be really good later) locked in at 8x$4.82M AAV meant that they didn't need to risk paying a 29-year old Trocheck (who's really good now but may decline to below-replacement in the back half) 7x$5.75M AAV.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's a free agent.

No team that missed the PO this past season should. Different if we were talking Toronto, Edmonton, Washington, colorado, etc.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I could see the Kings being really interested but Blake seems more interested in relationships then burning it all down...plus we have enough youth to sign that would get offer sheeted themselves. But I would do terrible things to have Oettinger in a Kings sweater.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I could see the Kings being really interested but Blake seems more interested in relationships then burning it all down...plus we have enough youth to sign that would get offer sheeted themselves. But I would do terrible things to have Oettinger in a Kings sweater.
Same. The more tactical approach would be to try to trade with a team like Buffalo for a guy like UPL, in the (unlikely) event the Sabres pried Oetinger away from Dallas. I think the Kings need to consider every name out there, no matter how unlikely, to improve the goaltending position moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad