LeBrun: Teams considering offersheeting Oettinger

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As a Stars fan, nice to see one of our players subject of such intense interest. As a Stars fan, I am terrified that the offer sheet will either be successful, and/or drive his term and price up.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Montreal?
Limited cap space and they aren't exactly in the position to try and get better quickly through such an aggressive move. There are teams that have a more pressing need to get a starting goalie for next year.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I'm thinking Montreal too. But not sure Gorton and Hugues would make such a move.

They badly need a true #1 goalie for the future. Primeau is too much of a gamble.

Edit: Ah not so much, they would need to include their 1st pick which is not an option

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Limited cap space and they aren't exactly in the position to try and get better quickly through such an aggressive move. There are teams that have a more pressing need to get a starting goalie for next year.
An offersheet to Oettinger means no first round pick for at least next season for Montreal - maybe even a few seasons after. It'd be idiotic to offersheet anyone given the position Montreal is in.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Several teams desperate for good goaltending and all of the options in UFA are flawed at best, I'd def be thinking about this if I were one of those teams.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Id be offersheeting the shit out of him too if i were some teams... he looks like he will be an absolute stud soon... hes a stud now but eventually he will hit the ABSOLUTE stud status!!!
Strongly agree that this is the perfect example of a guy who you should offersheet. A team that has signficant cap issues because of good young guys who deserve raises before the previous "core" guys contracts have expired.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
That would be tough for Dallas, they don't have a lot of room and they have to replace Klingberg, add scoring, and save room to re-sign Robertson this year and Hintz next. I think they likely have to match for a goaltender like Oettinger in his prime, but it might lead to some uncomfortable decisions.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Was thinking earlier Toronto might look to Otter, with Campbell likely gone and Mrazek questionable.

I wonder if Dubas is considering him as an offer sheet candidate.

What sucks is that if Toronto (or any other team) DOES send an offersheet, but Otter doesn't sign it, we'll probably never know. :laugh:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
An offersheet to Oettinger means no first round pick for at least next season for Montreal - maybe even a few seasons after. It'd be idiotic to offersheet anyone given the position Montreal is in.
Multiple 1st rounders would require an offer north of $8.4M so I doubt that'd be the case but you're right, in most likelihood a successful offer sheet for Oettinger is gonna cost you a 1st rounder. It'd be a bizarre move from every perspective for a team like Montreal.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
up to $1.38649 million requires no compensation
From the above to $2.100742 million requires one 3rd
The above to $4.201488 million requires one 2nd
To $6.30223 million requires one 1st and one 3rd

To $8.402975 million requires one 1st, one 2nd and one 3rd
To $10.50372 million requires two 1sts, one 2nd and one 3rd
Any amount over the above requires four 1sts.

I honestly cannot see ANY team going higher than $6.3 and that would seem high also. Dallas matches that ALL DAY LONG.

Last edited:

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Was Dallas planning on paying him less than $6 million?
Not sure, $6 seems high to me but Dallas is going to keep him assuming is $6 mil or less i would suspect. Dallas is not going to lose their best goalie prospect/player in ages and they certainly are not going to do it for a 1st and a 3rd or less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad