Teams coming back to earth

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I am not convinced by Klefbom at all. Nurse yes. I just don't think it is enough.
Why? Klefbom when healthy has been a very good Dman for 3 years now. He's not a #1, but he's a guy who doesn't look out of place on the top pairing and can chip in 30-40 points. Question is whether or not he stays healthy as he's had some bad luck with injuries and staph infections in the past.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Their recent track record and players like Neal who have known to be hot and cold makes them hard to trust on just a small sample.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Oilers were completely outplayed by the Devils 5on5, who were on the 2nd night of a back-to-back. Might not want to use that win as evidence of them being good.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We’re not going to be a top team like we are now, but they’re definitely making a believer of me in terms of being a playoff club.

a little bit lost in this is how good Klefbom has been. 7 points in the first 5 games, 26 minutes a night, helping along a rookie partner. Bear has been really good as well. Goaltending has been better than expected. The bottom six isn’t producing much but they’ve been creating chances and playing in the offensive zone.

anyone watching the team this season that still thinks Draisaitl rides McDavid’s coattails should have their right to watch hockey permanently removed. Holy smokes has he been excellent.

Reactions: Calypso

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Even Oiler fans don’t want this thread. Apologies to the board.
idk, wouldn't a resurrgent Oiler team be interesting league news?

And the thread is presenting it as a question. "maybe". So it's a discussion as to whether this success is for real or not.

And I see both sides of the argument. The easier schedule to start (although it's been more road games so far). Small sample size, plus early season it's hard to tell because everything is a little sloppier.

But also, the team looks good, not just lucky, and there is reason to believe it is because of offseason changes that were made. The team is noticeably faster, and that is making the bottom six more effective in particular. That was a handicap from last season that appears to be gone. Lucic and Puljujarvi were distractions on the team in their usage. There's nothing like that here now.

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
Oilers were completely outplayed by the Devils 5on5, who were on the 2nd night of a back-to-back. Might not want to use that win as evidence of them being good.

Good teams find a way to win even when playing poorly. You don’t fluke win 5 games in a row. The Oilers fought back and won that game and you are giving them 0 credit for it.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
idk, wouldn't a resurrgent Oiler team be interesting league news?

And the thread is presenting it as a question. "maybe". So it's a discussion as to whether this success is for real or not.

And I see both sides of the argument. The easier schedule to start (although it's been more road games so far). Small sample size, plus early season it's hard to tell because everything is a little sloppier.

But also, the team looks good, not just lucky, and there is reason to believe it is because of offseason changes that were made. The team is noticeably faster, and that is making the bottom six more effective in particular. That was a handicap from last season that appears to be gone. Lucic and Puljujarvi were distractions on the team in their usage. There's nothing like that here now.

congrats for guessing why I worded it that way

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
A completely desperate Devils team who hasn't won yet, and you know they wanted it bad. That was a trap game and they won

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Ya they’re a really good team when McDavid and Draisaitl score 2.5 points per game, Neal scores 7 goals in 5 games, and Zack Kassian is a point per game player.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
They've played 5 of the worst teams in the league. This is like Buffalo fans thinking they actually have a good team.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Its true. they didn't deserve that game. most oilers fans will admit it. but they found a way to win.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Might be maybe sort of time.

I'll tell you though these guys won't be able to play 25 minutes a night for an entire season.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
They've played 5 of the worst teams in the league. This is like Buffalo fans thinking they actually have a good team.
but people say the oilers are the worst team in the league. so how can that be? anyways the oilers opened last year with something insane like 10 of their 1st 12 games against playoff teams. about time they get a break.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Oh lord. They have better depth players and you can see them all hustling. That's big. Nurse looks like a stud. Bear looks good. Persson looks good. Small changes. Too early and I am an Oilers fan.

SLowly been getting better each game. Lets wait until we play the bigger teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad