Rumor: Teams calling Zito about Barkov's availability, due to his upcoming UFA status in 2022

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

EcK0EIA.png

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The elephant in the room for the next two years. Wonderful.

Still riding the 60-40 train, 60% he re-signs, 40% he doesn't.
Obviously a good showing and possible playoff spot helps Zito's sales pitch.
He seems loyal, we have some solid prospects coming in over the next few years.
We can likely offer him the most money with the 8th year option.
One of the best coaches to ever do it, time for the team to step up and come together.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Honestly, Barkov is going to be a big part of how this team does over the next two seasons. So I'm not worried. If the team does good and helps make him want to stay, then that would have meant that Barkov would have done something about it himself.

If this team sucks for two seasons, then maybe he hadn't played up to his potential, and in that case if he wants out, so be it. Barkov is not more important than this team. He has all the tools in the world, but if he doesn't use them, then he doesn't need to be here. If he plays to his potential, it's hard for me to see this team sucking for two seasons.

And if he doesn't play to his potential and the team sucks, then he probably needs to go. Because it's no need to give him a big contract to see him not play to his potential.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Still riding the 60-40 train, 60% he re-signs, 40% he doesn't.
Obviously a good showing and possible playoff spot helps Zito's sales pitch.
He seems loyal, we have some solid prospects coming in over the next few years.
We can likely offer him the most money with the 8th year option.
One of the best coaches to ever do it, time for the team to step up and come together.

Same here, but it's 70/30 to me. He also liked the Lundell pick, and called it a huge steal.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Nah it doesn’t. Which players r on the team takes a backseat to money, success, and location. A very very distant backseat
Sorry god forgot you know everything. You don’t understand Finnish culture then so take a backseat tonight. Barkov is a quiet guy who lives in Florida.

Reactions: Vilam and KW

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Honestly, Barkov is going to be a big part of how this team does over the next two seasons. So I'm not worried. If the team does good and helps make him want to stay, then that would have meant that Barkov would have done something about it himself.

If this team sucks for two seasons, then maybe he hadn't played up to his potential, and in that case if he wants out, so be it. Barkov is not more important than this team. He has all the tools in the world, but if he doesn't use them, then he doesn't need to be here. If he plays to his potential, it's hard for me to see this team sucking for two seasons.

And if he doesn't play to his potential and the team sucks, then he probably needs to go. Because it's no need to give him a big contract to see him not play to his potential.
How can he play here next year with no extension, they need to sign him or get assets

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Agreed. I actually think Lundell increases the chances.
Who wouldn’t want to play with the GOAT?

But really, Florida is building a team around Barkov. Part of that is cultural and bringing in countrymen. Atlanta did a similar thing with Kovy his last year but it was a bit too late for that. Will he re sign? Well he needs to want to be here: he knows the owners are committed (Kovy knew not); now it is up to results.

Of course other teams are going to inquire about Barkov like we inquire about random players: he is a great player

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Sorry god forgot you know everything. You don’t understand Finnish culture then so take a backseat tonight. Barkov is a quiet guy who lives in Florida.
If he wants to leave cause we’re not winning or not paying him enough or wants to live elsewhere drafting lundell won’t change that. If he wants to stay here anyway it isn’t due to drafting lundell l. This isn’t rocket science.

Reactions: I am not exposed

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I can easily see Barkov lighting it up and this team still sucking for two season.

Sorry god forgot you know everything. You don’t understand Finnish culture then so take a backseat tonight. Barkov is a quiet guy who parks in handicap spaces.
:laugh:

Reactions: ShootIt

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
The elephant in the room for the next two years. Wonderful.
Take it as a compliment, the other teams understand Barkov's value and what he'd add to their team.

My guess is that this an attempt by the other GMs to communicate through media and to plant the seed of doubt in Barkov's mind (more so I'd say his agent's mind), because up to this point he's said all the right things and hasn't hinted about leaving. This also puts pressure on Zito (bare in mind that he's still a rookie GM, despite all the good things he's done so far) and makes him think more about options, if the extension discussions aren't progresssing come this summer.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Coming from someone who knows a sliver about how the rumors and source stuff works, don’t take everything you read at face value. Other teams, other agents, etc put things out there all the time, and many times they’re partially or totally false, just to drum up interest or pressure, interest, etc.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
If I'm a GM and I hear that Zito is interested in PLD, I'd call for Barkov. It looks like Zito isn't afraid to shake things up and Barkov's great, so there is nothing to lose by calling. If I was the GM of most other teams, I hope my GM would have called.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad