Teams and Players that have impressed/disappointed you this WC

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Speaking of Colombia, Quintero has surprised me too.
I second this, he's been a revelation for them in the games I've watched. Not only did I realise that Trippier is actually English (always thought he was French) in this World Cup, this has been his coming out party as well. He's always been good when I watched him in the EPL, but he's taken that next step - been England's best player (IMHO) after the forward positions'.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Germany's defenders will always be that high if the opponent is that deep. This has been Germany for at least 5 years now and they won a World Cup with it, so I always wonder why people keep acting like it's the first time they see it. Germany simply will not keep players back who then have nothing to do during 99% of the match. That's been the philosophy ever since they switched to the possession football model.

Sweden set up 8 guys in two rows at the edge of their own box from pretty much the first minute of the match with 2 guys probing in front of that. Whether you agree with it or not, in that situation Germany's fullbacks will become quasi wingers who are expected to track back. Meanwhile the centre backs will push the ball up field and act as ball distributors and then hover behind play but still in the opponent's half so they're close enough to get involved.

The two DMs are basically expected to do the same , i.e. provide cover but be available for passes. And in an ideal scenario this works because the CBs and DMs should watch for and cover potential spaces where the opponents might play balls for their roving counter attackers. This requires extreme focus and athleticism. Kroos does not have it and can barely be expected to actually sprint for a ball rather than jog for it.

And of course, it's to some extent Loew's fault for hanging on to the fancy idea of Kroos as a DM, but at the same time Kroos agrees to play in that position and has some responsibility for doing the job he's been asked to do. Lack of alternative solutions means he's at no risk of being dropped (especially now after he scored) but it's the permanent achilles heel of the German team.
You need sound defensive fullbacks for that system, though. I don't really trust Kimmich with that.
And Kroos could play that role, if he had someone backing him. But that probably means a change of philosophy, which has work thus far (not to that extend during this tournament).

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Croatia. I think they can go far.
We can easily go out against Denmark. We always play up and down based on our competition. Play great against Spain, Germany etc, lay an egg against Turkey, Portugal etc. You never know with this team. On the bright side, we do have a semi-decent manager these days, something we didn't have since early days of Bilić.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
In the final game of the group against the worst opponent, Germany actually played their worst game. To say this is a "disappointment" is an understatement of the century. Mexico and Sweden are deservedly through. Löw muss weg (and so does the other one still in office in spite of years of incompetence).

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Seems like that "crucial" goal by Kroos didn't really matter! ;)

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time of each goal, Kroos's was the biggest/most dramatic moment. I don't see how that's hard to understand, and I'm not saying it's 100% the best moment.

Reactions: cgf

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Indeed. I was going to mention him, but I was too knackered to remember his name and too lazy to look it up. A real pleasure to watch.

I think Colombia would've pulled it off with ten men against Japan if they hadn't removed Quintero for James. Very reactionary substitution to try and get the star on even though he's not 100%, and Quintero looked terrific.

Reactions: cgf and Stray Wasp

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3