Teams and Players that have impressed/disappointed you this WC

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Watching this World Cup, I have been pleasantly surprised by some of these teams that I thought would just roll over. Senegal, Morocco, Peru, Iceland, and Mexico have surprised me a lot. They have all looked impressive and like they have a chance to win every game. The players that have impressed me the most are Gylfi Sigurdsson and Hrving Lozano. Both look dangerous and like their teams best player.

I think that the obvious disappointment in this tournament is Argentina. Doesn't look like they are going to the next round. The player that I've been very disappointed in is De Gea. He has looked so shaky after that Portugal game and was at fault for multiple goals.

I'm interested to see what everyone thinks.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Pleasant surprise: Japan

Disappointment: Poland.

Argentina were crap throughout qualifying and barely made it to the tournament. With the roster they brought to Russia, it's not all that surprising. They can still make it out though.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Poland. Not that I thought they were going to make a run or anything but they looked horrible the 2 games I saw them play.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Disappointment Iran
That player doesn't hit the side netting and they win are through to last 16

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Xhaka has been impressive to me although he always seems to do better for country.

I've also really enjoyed watching Carrillo of Peru, seems to be a decently skilled work machine.

I think my surprise teams would be the slow start of Germany, I did not and still don't think they are going far in this tournament, but I expected a more polished team than what has been seen these first 2 games.

Reactions: amj h

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Sergej Milinković-Savić has also been a surprise. I knew he was good prior to this tournament, but after watching him more I am impressed. He can really take control of the mid field and the mix of skill and size is amazing.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Sergej Milinković-Savić has also been a surprise. I knew he was good prior to this tournament, but after watching him more I am impressed. He can really take control of the mid field and the mix of skill and size is amazing.

Most underrated player in Europe, probably. He is better than Pogba was before his big move. Problem is he is now so good and Lazio are refusing to sell unless they get so much money that I don't know if he'll get a big move for a few years.

But seriously a player that tall should not be this skilled.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
But seriously a player that tall should not be this skilled.

The speed at which he moves his feet for such a tall guy defies logic to me. It's as though he is made up of the body of Matic and the feet of Cazorla or something like that :p

Do you happen to know how long his contract goes until?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The speed at which he moves his feet for such a tall guy defies logic to me. It's as though he is made up of the body of Matic and the feet of Cazorla or something like that :p

Do you happen to know how long his contract goes until?

2022. Long time.

I'd pay 100m for him if I owned a club and had it.

Reactions: robertmac43

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

SMS is great already, with potential to be better - but he's been rather ordinary these two games, and downright poor in the 2nd half vs Switzerland.

I don't know if I'm especially impressed with anyone...
Some teams have had great games against weaker opposition, some favorites have had mediocre games against mediocre opposition. Belgium and England are especially hard to judge right now.

Uruguay will be tough as nails to beat. Ordinary midfields and ordinary down the flanks, but rock solid in central defense and Suarez and Cavani can always conjur something up.
Spain offensively magic are times, but defensively suspect.

Disappointment #1 is Germany. Right now, they look like Toni Kroos and the 10 lost boys.
They are getting absolutely killed on the counter, and if they don't score first early, it's just a matter of time before they get into trouble at the back.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
A disappointment for me would be Ozil. I always try and defend him during the Club season but it was hard to defend his performance in game one. There were moments of great football from him, but they were few and far between.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Can't think of any particular players, but teams like Spain, Germany and Poland just look terrible. Mexico is really the only one that has really impressed me as much as it hurts to say it. Mexico has always had strong rosters, but could never put it together. Through their first two games they look the part. Also impressed with England, but lets see how they react against a World Class team like Belgium.

Reactions: Gecklund

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Disappointment #1 is Germany. Right now, they look like Toni Kroos and the 10 lost boys.They are getting absolutely killed on the counter, and if they don't score first early, it's just a matter of time before they get into trouble at the back.

His wonderful FK goal and his ability to play wonderfully precise passes aside...Toni Kroos is the main reason they're so vulnerable on the counter, dude is a 6 in this formation but that's not what he thinks he should be playing..dude wants to be a deep-sitting playmaker, and the sitting part is barely an exaggeration.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Poland is the biggest disappointment, we got eliminated to a bunch of scrub clubs looking like a trainwreck, while Germany still have a realistic possibility to go through.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Renard, cowering in the second half against Iran cost his team their world cup, the polish coach was similarly cowardly, but I was so f***ing excited for Morocco up until that counter late in the first that cut Renard's balls off.

A disappointment for me would be Ozil. I always try and defend him during the Club season but it was hard to defend his performance in game one. There were moments of great football from him, but they were few and far between.

I can't agree with that at all, Mesut was doing Toni's job for him better than Toni usually does it, so to single him out for criticism is insane to me.

Reactions: KJS14

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Renard, cowering in the second half against Iran cost his team their world cup, the polish coach was similarly cowardly, but I was so ****ing excited for Morocco up until that counter late in the first that cut Renard's balls off.

Speaking of Morocco, did Harit get injured? He didn't play another minute after that ridiculous substitution.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Kinda surprised at how surprised people are that Mexico is legit. They’ve got tons of talent. Really good team. This isn’t a fluke.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

He wasn't anything special out there that day, but wasn't nearly the liability he's made out to be. There were at least 6-7 German players on the pitch worse than Ozil in game 1. Yet guys like Muller, Hummels, Draxler, and Kroos get little flak from the media, while Ozil gets compared to a dead frog.

The funniest was one ex-player saying something along the lines of "Ozil never shows up for the NT, he plays with no joy," when a month ago all the talk was "Ozil only performs with the NT, why can't he do this for Arsenal?" It blows my mind how many stupid people have a voice in mainstream media, but that's another topic.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He wasn't anything special out there that day, but wasn't nearly the liability he's made out to be. There were at least 6-7 German players on the pitch worse than Ozil in game 1. Yet guys like Muller, Hummels, Draxler, and Kroos get little flak from the media, while Ozil gets compared to a dead frog.

The funniest was one ex-player saying something along the lines of "Ozil never shows up for the NT, he plays with no joy," when a month ago all the talk was "Ozil only performs with the NT, why can't he do this for Arsenal?" It blows my mind how many stupid people have a voice in mainstream media, but that's another topic.

My favorite was one replay of the mexican goal, when one of the english commentators said something like "oh look, it's mesut özil tracking back for the first time in his life"...like even when those morons can't deny the work he's putting in they can't help but try & spin that into a negative. It just makes one wonder if they would even be capable of recognizing all of the work he puts in, even if they did actually pay attention & watch him, or if his droopy expression & lack of chest thumping would confuse them too much.

Reactions: KJS14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad