Teams and Players that have impressed/disappointed you this WC

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
You can blame Toni Kroos for being played in a position that demeans his strengths and emphasizes his weakness', or you can blame the manager who put him there.
2nd half vs Sweden, where Germany actually played like a team who first realized that, yes, they are being exposed on the counter, is a perfect example.

German issues start with the system and the fullbacks playing ridiculously high up field.
That, or they lack discipline. Kimmich, while already a great player, and a fantastic talent, either has complete freedom in movement from Löw - or is tactically undisciplined. Boateng, same.
Müller, the guy who is the token boy for basically existing on the field and then popping up for big goals, is so far away any scoring areas and scoring chances, he's basically wasted out there.
Draxler has been poor, and I still don't see why anyone would leave Sane at home and take Draxler.
Brandt has been excellent in his limited time, but if Löw plays him from the start, remains to be seen how their left flank will look like defensively.

Germany's defenders will always be that high if the opponent is that deep. This has been Germany for at least 5 years now and they won a World Cup with it, so I always wonder why people keep acting like it's the first time they see it. Germany simply will not keep players back who then have nothing to do during 99% of the match. That's been the philosophy ever since they switched to the possession football model.

Sweden set up 8 guys in two rows at the edge of their own box from pretty much the first minute of the match with 2 guys probing in front of that. Whether you agree with it or not, in that situation Germany's fullbacks will become quasi wingers who are expected to track back. Meanwhile the centre backs will push the ball up field and act as ball distributors and then hover behind play but still in the opponent's half so they're close enough to get involved.

The two DMs are basically expected to do the same , i.e. provide cover but be available for passes. And in an ideal scenario this works because the CBs and DMs should watch for and cover potential spaces where the opponents might play balls for their roving counter attackers. This requires extreme focus and athleticism. Kroos does not have it and can barely be expected to actually sprint for a ball rather than jog for it.

And of course, it's to some extent Loew's fault for hanging on to the fancy idea of Kroos as a DM, but at the same time Kroos agrees to play in that position and has some responsibility for doing the job he's been asked to do. Lack of alternative solutions means he's at no risk of being dropped (especially now after he scored) but it's the permanent achilles heel of the German team.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
There hasn’t yet been a moment at this WM that was bigger than toni’s Goal :dunno:

For the Germans....

They score one above average last minute goal against a mediocre team and suddenly its the most important goal in the WC, maybe even the history of football.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Sergej Milinković-Savić has also been a surprise. I knew he was good prior to this tournament, but after watching him more I am impressed. He can really take control of the mid field and the mix of skill and size is amazing.
He has some Zidane traits. His touch and movement are top level. He is not yet the playmaker that Zidane was but he might be a better goalscorer.

Reactions: cgf

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Ronaldo free kick against Spain?

You could argue Kroos's goal was the bigger moment, because of the context. It was the 2nd group game and Germany needed 3 points badly, whereas Ronaldo's was the 1st game and tied it up rather than getting a win. On the other hand, you have Sweden vs Spain as the opposition.

I think it's fair to say the Kroos goal was more dramatic though.

Would Portugal have gone through if Ronaldo didn't score that late free kick against Spain?

Have to apply the context at the time of his goal though. It was certainly a big moment, but it was only the 1st game, so far less dramatic at the time.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Would Portugal have gone through if Ronaldo didn't score that late free kick against Spain?

That was the opener though. Whereas the defending champs were essentially eliminated if Toni didn’t score there...as a draw in the final match would have seen both Sweden & Mexico through had we only drawn with the Swedes.

So in hindsight there have been other decisive goals, but that one was massive even without the benefit of hindsight.

For the Germans....

They score one above average last minute goal against a mediocre team and suddenly its the most important goal in the WC, maybe even the history of football.

Crazy talk, it was the most important moment in the history of the universe!!!

...I know it’s easier to knock down exaggerated strawmen then to make an actual argument; so I figured I’d help you out and turn your strawman into a reality!...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
That was the opener though. Whereas the defending champs were essentially eliminated if Toni didn’t score there...as a draw in the final match would have seen both Sweden & Mexico through had we only drawn with the Swedes.

So in hindsight there have been other decisive goals, but that one was massive even without the benefit of hindsight.

Considering what you guys are saying, I'd find it pretty funny if Germany were to bottle it all now. :popcorn:

Reactions: KJS14 and cgf

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
This world cup has been smashing!

Disappointed in

Denmark’s C Eriksson - he can still do some damage in 2nd round
Egypt - what a disappointment
France - maybe they just need more time but I was expecting them to blow everyone out of the water. Still think hey can. Let’s wait and see.
Argentina - Was expecting a better performance.
Poland / Lewa - what happened? Yikes
Germany - Not the same team as 4 years ago. Still good and very scary.
Leo Messi - has one more game to make his mark on this World Cup. He shows up tonight and Argentina could go deep with a rejuvenated Leo. If he fails it will leave a mark on his legacy. No pressure!

Impressed me -

Iceland - very organized. They have some tricky players as well
Mexico - Haven’t seen Mexico this good ever in my life time. I started watching WC in 1990
England - ok ok so the games have been against “weaker” sides but they have impressed me quite a lot. Was half expecting them to crash out in the group stages to Tunisia.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Considering what you guys are saying, I'd find it pretty funny if Germany were to bottle it all now. :popcorn:

While pretty terrible for me personally, Id certainly see the humor in it. Germans are all penciling in 3 points vs Korea. If that doesn't happen, the knives *will* come out for real.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Kicker has been speculating that Lhedira May start, so...yeah...

Fortunately there’s been some hints from some the assistant coaches that Goretzka could get his shot in this match. So I’mma continue assuming that kicker is just trying to stir the pot and we’re finally going to see the 4-3-1-2/4-3-3 that I’ve been begging for...

...at least until I am forced to accept the cruel reality that our coach really is dumb enough to play Khedira (or Draxler for that matter) again.

amj h

Apr 11, 2018
Xhaka has been impressive to me although he always seems to do better for country.

I've also really enjoyed watching Carrillo of Peru, seems to be a decently skilled work machine.

I think my surprise teams would be the slow start of Germany, I did not and still don't think they are going far in this tournament, but I expected a more polished team than what has been seen these first 2 games.

Historically it's rare for the Germans to look good. They always do enough to win though. Kinda like Italy. Multiple world cups for both.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Historically it's rare for the Germans to look good. They always do enough to win though. Kinda like Italy. Multiple world cups for both.

Yeah thye are both run very business like: Get in, Get the job done, get out with a trophy

Reactions: amj h

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
From an Arsenal perspective I was disappointing with Iwobi in the first game. Usually he gets up for international showings and plays with so much heart. He was so poor in the first game and ultimately lost the starting spot in game two. Was hoping his often found intensity for Nigeria and his play time would have helped give him some added to development as I he stagnated in growth in my eyes this past club season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Not quite. We have traditionally waltzed through the group since the new system was implimented, even before 2006-2010 when we started playing positive & attractive football again.

Plus our legendary golden age team of the 70s played the same total football as did our Dutch rivals. With a very positive & fluid style.

So our history is pretty evenly divided between the positive & attractive football that took root in the late 60s, before returning to our game in the second half of the 2000s; and the negative football we played in the 80s & 90s.

Reactions: amj h

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
For the Germans....

Meh, don't even have to go back that far.

This one was pretty memorable.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Despite all this, looks like the disaPointating teams are going to go through (Argentina, Germany, Portugal, France, Spain).

Basically, it’s the reverse Stanley Cup Playoffs. Barring some Sweden/South Korea, it’s basically going to be an underdog-free round of 16 for the most part)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad