Team USA's Olympic roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Graves*

ok almost six hours after the announcement and i'm still thinking *** just happened? What the hell are Guerin and Chelios doing on this team? Might as well have brought Roenick, and Pat LaFontaine out of retirement..

Randall Graves*

therealdeal said:
Did they not bother to name the injury taxi guys?
I'm hoping they name Roenick so he just tells them to **** off.

Towelie*

Some people have mentioned that Hatcher has looked "great of late". I can't completely disregard that statement. However he looked terrible against the Canucks a week ago. Like I said, I don't watch him lots, but he looked very bad. Pronger looked bad against the Canucks as well.

djtino224

May 12, 2005
Long Island
matthew94 said:
Miller's injury was very unfortunate. It's also unfortunate they named the team so early (did they have to??). Ryan probably would have worked his way past Esche in a week or 2.

All of the men's hockey rosters need to be in by the 22nd.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Rabid Ranger, your post is OK and I believe you because you get to see much more NHL than me, but there are still too many ifs, buts, maybes...

OK, I did a little maths and calculated what's the average age of the team. That's what I always do. While other teams are expected to name the team with the average age around 27, team USA has 31.5! Where is that mix of youth and experience that Waddell is talking about? OK experience, but I see no youth... Two 24 year olds (and one of them goalie)? Ha, ha! I was really hoping to see Parise and Sutter...

10 of those guys were in Austria this year and I was amazed how slow that team was. And I expect the same thing in Turin. They will get badly outskated by their opponents. Can you imagine what Russians are gonna do to them? Rolling three wind-lines...

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Damn Cocky Canadian fans :madfire:

As a Canadian, the scariest things to me about Team USA are: Rick Dipietro (sp?) and after the initial talent coming from the forward lines, they've got a checking line with Jason Blake and Craig Conroy, which could pop in the odd back-breaking goal.

I feel pretty confident in Canada this year though, as we seem to have a big problem with who we should leave off. And if Brodeur isn't up to snuff in this first game, maybe he'll have a role reversal with Joseph (ala, Salt Lake City 2002).

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Went with Chelios over Leetch because they need some toughness back there as they are rather small, just an average height a tad over 6'0 without Chelly who isn't all that big either. Schneider, Rafalski, Liles, and Leapold are all good puck movers but aren't physical.

Teams like Canada will try to take advantage of the size and grind them, so it will be key to play to their strengths and move the puck quickly. If they can they will be alright.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
TORRUS said:
Rabid Ranger, your post is OK and I believe you because you get to see much more NHL than me, but there are still too many ifs, buts, maybes...

OK, I did a little maths and calculated what's the average age of the team. That's what I always do. While other teams are expected to name the team with the average age around 27, team USA has 31.5! Where is that mix of youth and experience that Waddell is talking about? OK experience, but I see no youth... Two 24 year olds (and one of them goalie)? Ha, ha! I was really hoping to see Parise and Sutter...

10 of those guys were in Austria this year and I was amazed how slow that team was. And I expect the same thing in Turin. They will get badly outskated by their opponents. Can you imagine what Russians are gonna do to them? Rolling three wind-lines...

Right, and how close was the U.S. from beating the Czechs (the eventual champions) and making the semis? How close was the U.S. from beating Finland and making the finals of the World Cup? The fact is, the U.S. will feature an experienced squad of players that know each other very well. That accounts for alot in a short tournament. As for team spped, how many plodders are on this team? Hatcher on the defense and Mike Knuble at forward? That's about it IMO. Up front especially this is a very good skating team. As for the Russians, yeah they'll certainly press most defenses, but who on that team is going to defend the eventual counter-attack? Sergei Gonchar? :biglaugh:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Epsilon said:
This team will be competing with Slovakia for the 6th-7th place finishes. I can't honestly see them making the semifinals.

You could be right, although one thing that helps is the fact that virtually all of the teams have their own share of question marks. As a matter-of-fact, aside from Canada and perhaps the Czechs, this tourney is WIDE OPEN.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I actually like the makeup of this team, especially the forwards. Hopefully Tkachuk can get healthy in time to make an impact.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Well it's always the same ranting over how poor the US team is..well it does lack talent, speed and youth but it's a hard working team, with good morale and im sure they will go far as they usually does, cause it'a a TEAM.

I hope Grahame gets the chance :handclap:

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not really sure how people can argue with most of the selections. I watch a ton of NHL hockey and I think many people are operating on misconceptions or phantom reps more than anything where several of these players are concerned. Here's how I see the team:

Goaltenders:

Defense:

Miller
Chelios
Rafalski
Liles
Schneider
Leopold
Hatcher

A couple of surprises. I thought Leetch was a gimme, but let's be honest, he's not a defensive stalwart these days. Schneider's had a great year, Rafalski is an exceptional puck mover, as is Liles who has more points (and a better plus/minus) than Rob Blake, Aaron Miller is a rock, Leopold hasn't produced much offensively, but he's been great in his own zone, and Hatcher has played exceptionally well of late and brings needed size and toughness. Chelios is a bit of a stretch, but he's not going to get top pairing minutes. He'll likely be the 7th guy and play the PK. He'll be fine in that role and bring needed leadership. Some guys that were possibilities had some question marks this year: Martin has been inconsistent, Mara is the U.S. version of Bryan McCabe, Gleason, Ballard, and Suter are too green, and Hedican is perhaps too one dimensional. The defense on this team will be more than adequete. Basically, each stay-at-home guy can be paired with a younger, faster, offensive defensemen. Seems balanced to me.

Conclusion:

I agree with whoever said that the U.S. roster whould be compared, not with Canada, but with the other countries in the tourney. Yes, the U.S. could finish out of the medals, but with discipline, timely scoring, and good goaltending, the U.S. could easily medal. We'll soon see.

Mara is not the US version of McCabe for the simple reason that the US doesn't have the depth on D to keep him off like Canada does.

I too watch alot of hockey and I can honestly say Mara is a better d'man than most of the players named to that team, IMO. Him not making it is an absolute joke. :madfire:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
therealdeal said:
Did they not bother to name the injury taxi guys?

No need to as that squad does not need to be named until on or about Feb 10th. Why would you lock yourself in now.

By the way, Miller is handling this well (and as I said before if the Esche injury is more serious, he will still find himself on this team):

"I look forward to playing for the USA down the line," Miller said. "I really respect the organization. I've played for them before, and it's done nothing but benefit my career. I'm not mad. I'm not going to hold it against them. I was injured." Source: Buffalo News

AgentOrange*

Herby said:
To all the Canadian fans, ever hear the saying those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

You have plenty of your own problems.

- Martin Brodeur has had a marginal season with a GAA over 3 and a save% below 90

- 3 of your best d-man from past tournaments (Pronger, Niedermayer and Blake) are not playing like former Norris Trophy winners. Especially Blake who has been awful defensively this season.

- Shane Doan has fewer goals than Superstars like Jamal Mayers, Sean Avery, Jon Sim and Jonathan Hedstrom.

- Politics may prevent some of the best Canadian scorers in the NHL this year from making the team. Players like McCabe, Staal, Spezza and Savard.

Just something to think about, everyteam has issues going into this tourney.

Canada doesnt have the issue that they're going to suck though. :sarcasm:

I'll be rooting for Blake, Parrish and especially DiPi to do well though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Captain_Cunney said:
Mara is not the US version of McCabe for the simple reason that the US doesn't have the depth on D to keep him off like Canada does.

I too watch alot of hockey and I can honestly say Mara is a better d'man than most of the players named to that team, IMO. Him not making it is an absolute joke. :madfire:

No it isn't an absolute joke. I like Mara too, but let's be honest, he makes his paycheck in the offensive zone and in the transition game. In his own zone he is very average. That's why he didn't make this team. Stats don't tell the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad