Team USA's Olympic roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
i think this is a very important year for team usa in olympic competition as they pass the baton sort of speak with the older players; i.e. tkachuk, chelios, roenick, amonte et al and give it to some of the younger ones...

what does your team usa roster look like?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
While I agree with the basic premise that it's time to pass the torch to the younger generation of American talent, it's clear that the U.S. brass feels that many of the younger players (such as Suter, Parise, Higgins, etc) aren't quite ready for so big a stage. As a result, you'll continue to see a veteran-heavy roster, although that might not be such a bad thing this year. Here's my current roster:

Forwards (x12)

Cole-Modano-Knuble
Brown-Weight-Guerin
Rolston-Gomez-Gionta
Blake-Conroy-Konowalchuk

Defense (x8)

Miller-Gleason
Martin-Rafalski
Leetch-Leopold
Schneider-Liles

Goaltenders (x3)

DiPietro
Esche
Miller

Is this the most talented team in the tournament? Not by a long-shot, but it's full of guys who are playing very well, particularly on defense and up the middle, and DiPietro has shown enough that he can step it up. These guys will play hard, can skate, and have just enough talent to put the puck in the net.

Last edited:

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Tkachuk - Weight - Roenick
Arnason - Gomez - Guerin
Konolwalchuk - Modano - York
Rolson - Conroy - Amonte
13th: Gionta

Leetch - Martin
Liles - Leopold
Schneider - Rafalski
7th: Berard

DiPietro
Esche
3rd: Dunham

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Haha, boy I hope we (Canada) play you guys in the quarterfinals or something. I dont think Canada's third roster would look that weak.

But seriously though the USA is going to have to majorly overacheive just to get a bronze.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
Big Phil said:
Haha, boy I hope we (Canada) play you guys in the quarterfinals or something. I dont think Canada's third roster would look that weak.

But seriously though the USA is going to have to majorly overacheive just to get a bronze.
What's the purose of this?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
big_steve said:
What's the purose of this?

He is right, the US isnt looking particularly scary, at least for me. Gentler ways to say it though.

neg marron

Mar 1, 2002
gatineau quebec
www.rds.ca
diminutive

Jovanovski = Norris said:
Tkachuk - Weight - Roenick
Arnason - Gomez - Guerin
Konolwalchuk - Modano - York
Rolson - Conroy - Amonte
13th: Gionta

Leetch - Martin
Liles - Leopold
Schneider - Rafalski
7th: Berard

DiPietro
Esche
3rd: Dunham
based on this the usa roster overall is not big in general

why is hatcher and komisarek off the list

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Big Phil said:

I hope Canada shares the same presumptuous attitude as you. Seriously, "Phil" what's the point of your continued lame efforts to discredit American hockey? A girl turn you down at the border or what?

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
neg marron said:

big ice surface... and hatcher was left off of the last olympic team and he's struggling in philly to date...

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
neg marron said:

They aren't as slick skaters as Leetch, Leopold, Liles, Schneider, Rafalski, etc...

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I hope Canada shares the same presumptuous attitude as you. Seriously, "Phil" what's the point of your continued lame efforts to discredit American hockey? A girl turn you down at the border or what?

:biglaugh:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
This team isn't nearly as bad as some maintain. It's got speed, skill and leadership. Above all, it looks majorly rejuvenated compared to the 'old geezer squad' that we saw in the WCH2004. They could be playing for medals if they get decent goaltending.

espo*

Boucicaut said:
This team isn't nearly as bad as some maintain. It's got speed, skill and leadership. Above all, it looks majorly rejuvenated compared to the 'old geezer squad' that we saw in the WCH2004. They could be playing for medals if they get decent goaltending.
That's what i would say.Gold's a stretch but a medal ain't.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:

Hey look I'm only being honest. Wait till 2010. You'll be bette rthan. But dont rest on your laurels this time. With guys like Weight and Tkachuk playing rotten this wont be a very good team to say the least

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Big Phil said:
Hey look I'm only being honest. Wait till 2010. You'll be bette rthan. But dont rest on your laurels this time. With guys like Weight and Tkachuk playing rotten this wont be a very good team to say the least

Doug Weight isn't playing "rotten" and I doubt Tkachuk will be on the team.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
Doug Weight isn't playing "rotten" and I doubt Tkachuk will be on the team.

Well okay but if you havent noticed this isnt the 1996 Weight anymore. The best USA player in the league is probably Modano, and he's never played well against Canada at the top level internationally. Even Guerin looks like a shadow of his former self.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Big Phil said:
Well okay but if you havent noticed this isnt the 1996 Weight anymore. The best USA player in the league is probably Modano, and he's never played well against Canada at the top level internationally. Even Guerin looks like a shadow of his former self.

In case you haven't noticed, there's a few other teams beside Canada. Perhaps Modano can do something against them, if not against allmighty Canada.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Big Phil said:

I live in St. Louis, I know very well what Doug Weight is and isn't capable of. The Blues have done a horrible job maximizing his talents, yet he's still one of the best playmakers in the NHL and has proven himself in the playoffs. He'll be on the U.S. team and he'll play well. Modano has bounced back and is playing great, no complaints there. As for Guerin, he's picked up his game lately and will be fine. Why don't you pick on some other players you know nothing about like Erik Cole, Brian Gionta, and Craig Conroy? Scrubs eh?

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
I live in St. Louis, I know very well what Doug Weight is and isn't capable of. The Blues have done a horrible job maximizing his talents, yet he's still one of the best playmakers in the NHL and has proven himself in the playoffs. He'll be on the U.S. team and he'll play well. Modano has bounced back and is playing great, no complaints there. As for Guerin, he's picked up his game lately and will be fine. Why don't you pick on some other players you know nothing about like Erik Cole, Brian Gionta, and Craig Conroy? Scrubs eh?

Weight proven in the playoffs? Hardly. Weight has never done anything in the playoffs, and I remember him playing in Edmonton, he would take stupid penalties, I know he got suspended for hitting from behind. And one of the best playmakers in the NHL? Starting the season with an impressive 8 assists, I think a guy like Spezza, Gomez, or Foresberg might be just a little bit better.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We don't need the grammar police, people. No one is perfect.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:

Scrubs? Well not for Team USA I guess. Hey I'll admit I'd take Cole, Gionta and Conroy over Lecavalier, Thornton, Spezza, Crosby any day of the week (snicker). Face it Rabid, your old guys aren't the same anymore and your young guys arent good enough, at least not yet. And if those three you mentioned are your best then you'd better worry!

joe_shannon_1983*

Any chance Gordon Bombay makes the team? His triple deke would be lethal in the event of a shootout.

Also, what are the chances A.C. Slater makes the team? He was State Champion in every single sport that he played, and never lost a game or a competition. He would make a great addition to Team U.S.A.

Will these guys be on Team U.S.A.? Or has the IIHF and NHL banned them from participating, due to the fact that these guys would give the U.S.A. too much of an advantage and it would not even be worth playing the games?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad