Team USA's Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truckfighter

Jul 9, 2002
With the rapidly escalating average age of the US team. What do you think the US teams roster will look like in about 4 years?

Do you think they will be much of a force down the line? I know the goaltending looks like it has a bright future with Esche,Dipietro, and possibly Montoya. And perhaps thats the most important thing. I just dont know where the goals will come.

Last edited:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Troy Maclure said:
With the rapidly escalating average age of the US team. What do you think the US teams roster will look like in about 4 years?

Do you think they will be much of a force down the line? I know the goaltending looks like it has a bright future with Esche,Dipietro, and possibly Montoya. And perhaps thats the most important thing. I just dont know where the goals will come.

not very good....although Chelios will only be about 53, so the D will still be strong! :lol

and Montoya hasn't proven anything yet!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
how is it "not very good," when the junior team just won gold, last year? If anything, Team USA's future is about as bright as it's ever been, with guys like O'Sullivan, Parise, Suter, Stuart, Thelen, Brown, Fritsche and Montoya coming into the league...along with guys like Martin, Liles, Leopold, Gomez all still being very young.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the future looks very bright. I don't know if 2006 (Turino) will be the true representation of the quality of the next generation of U.S. players though. I think the forwards will thin out a bit, but guys like Modano and Weight will still be young enough, and good enough to play. Maybe a guy like Parise will have progressed enough to be included, I don't know. The real change is going to be on the blueline, where a fairly significant overhaul will occur. Guys like Whitney, Orpik, Mara, Ballard, Komisarek and Suter will hopefully have made their pro marks by then. Goal will start with DiPietro and Esche, with perhaps Ryan Miller making a name for himself.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
nomorekids said:
how is it "not very good," when the junior team just won gold, last year? If anything, Team USA's future is about as bright as it's ever been, with guys like O'Sullivan, Parise, Suter, Stuart, Thelen, Brown, Fritsche and Montoya coming into the league...along with guys like Martin, Liles, Leopold, Gomez all still being very young.

well, I think the question was, 'how does the future look in 4 years', I'm guessing he means the next World Cup.

It's very nice that you listed 7 or 8 guys that haven't even played in the NHL yet. You are correct they are good prospects, but I don't think any of them will be there in 4 years, not national team caliber anyways. And one gold medal doesn't mean the future is bright and they were lucky to be beat a younger Canadian team.

and I wouldn't be building any team around guys like Martin, Liles, Gomez, etc. :lol

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
[pissed] I hope that aside from a few players that they change everything about this team. I'm from NJ and I can't even root for them because of their "punky" attitude. I can't stand how they run around taking cheap shots with smirks on their faces. Take a look at the score board your losing AGAIN. Rafalski, Esche, Weinrich and very few others are class acts but for the most part they make me sick. [pissed]

Truckfighter

Jul 9, 2002
HabLover said:
well, I think the question was, 'how does the future look in 4 years', I'm guessing he means the next World Cup.

This is more a long the lines of what I was wondering. I dont think the US is going to be in good shape for the Olympics. The older players will just be older and the prospects for the most part will still be in the earlier stages of development and not ready to make an impact on an international level. So I am trying to look a little farther down the line.

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
nomorekids said:

Mike York will also be there in the next four years, he will be around 31 years old and he will likely be a guy to make the next Olympics for team USA. Personally I don't know why he was'nt named to this World Cup in the first place! :dunno:

Also if Schremp hits his potential which is 50/50 right now, he will be very solid for team USA down the line too.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
If your talking about the Olympics I'm not overly confident that we will compete for a gold, but the team will be taking on a younger look and it might take 4 years or so but I think the team will be able to bounce back(especially with a maturing of our solid goaltenders) and be able to compete for a gold again at international events.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Players 28 years old and younger who have represented USA at the senior level already that I can recall offhand...

Esche
DiPietro
Leopold
Drury (born in 76)
Gomez
Halpern (born in 76)
Martin
Liles
Gionta
York

Players who could be good players for the US at some point who already in the NHL or AHL...

Hainsey
Hall
Kesler
Komisarek
Tanabe
Cammalleri
Legwand
Higgins
Taffe
Malone
Hale
Hilbert
Connolly
Jillson
Ryan Miller
Berard (He might have played for USA already, not sure)
Erik Cole
Mara
Poti
Duncan Keith

Prospective players not in the NHL/AHL as of yet...

Patrick Eaves
Ben Eaves
Schremp
Wheeler
Montoya
Thelen
Drew Stafford
Grant Lewis
Pineault
Bobby Ryan
Suter
Jessiman
Parise
Mark Stuart
Danny Richmond
Dan Fritsche
Pat O'Sullivan
Ballard
Jim Slater
Umberger
Heshmatpour (If he ever figures out who he wishes to play for!)
Matt Auffrey
Phil Kessel
Geoffrion
Hensick

These are some of the guys who will either be on team USa for awhile longer or could be seen on team USA in the future. It's really not a bad list and I think the future is bright for team USA although there might be a few tough years while the changing of the guard takes place.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
HabLover said:

It's very nice that you listed 7 or 8 guys that haven't even played in the NHL yet. You are correct they are good prospects, but I don't think any of them will be there in 4 years, not national team caliber anyways. And one gold medal doesn't mean the future is bright and they were lucky to be beat a younger Canadian team.

and I wouldn't be building any team around guys like Martin, Liles, Gomez, etc. :lol

I don't understand... why not? Martin, Liles, Leopold have all proven themselves to be capable defenseman in international play and will only get better with time and Scott Gomez has had points on all but one or two of Team USA's goals. That's not a bad beginning to a core of a team. Of course, they need to add some physical defensemen to that and more forward depth but that's an admirable beginning.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Flame_Star_Devil said:
I don't understand... why not? Martin, Liles, Leopold have all proven themselves to be capable defenseman in international play and will only get better with time and Scott Gomez has had points on all but one or two of Team USA's goals. That's not a bad beginning to a core of a team. Of course, they need to add some physical defensemen to that and more forward depth but that's an admirable beginning.

because they're no MIKE KOMISAREK or CHRISTOPHER HIGGINS, duh!

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The thing I have noticed is there is a big age gap. USA has some good players in the 18-21 range and good players from 28-40ish.

For whatever reason there aren't a lot of good USA players in their mid 20s which is a problem when playing Canada who has so many good players at that age.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004

Quite similar to the NJ Devils roster :)

Gionta, Parise, Gomez, Hale, Martin, possibly Langs and Rafalski.

Hell, USA B team:

Rasmussen, Marshall, Pandolfo, DeMarchi, Tallackson, and possibly more. Go NJUSA hockey :)

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
DownFromNJ said:
Quite similar to the NJ Devils roster :)

Gionta, Parise, Gomez, Hale, Martin, possibly Langs and Rafalski.

Hell, USA B team:

Rasmussen, Marshall, Pandolfo, DeMarchi, Tallackson, and possibly more. Go NJUSA hockey :)

Raffi will be 34, I doubt he'll still be there. But still...
Lou always did like American players.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
montreal said:
Why don't you give it a rest

I'd have no problem giving it a rest, but when someone makes a pretty silly statement(laughing at the idea that Liles, Martin and Leopold are a d-core to build a team around), and having seen the types of post this person makes...

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
AJ1982 said:
Players 28 years old and younger who have represented USA at the senior level already that I can recall offhand...

Esche
DiPietro
Leopold
Drury (born in 76)
Gomez
Halpern (born in 76)
Martin
Liles
Gionta
York

Players who could be good players for the US at some point who already in the NHL or AHL...

Hainsey
Hall
Kesler
Komisarek
Tanabe
Cammalleri
Legwand
Higgins
Taffe
Malone
Hale
Hilbert
Connolly
Jillson
Ryan Miller
Erik Cole
Mara
Poti
Duncan Keith

Patrick Eaves
Ben Eaves
Schremp
Wheeler
Montoya
Thelen
Drew Stafford
Grant Lewis
Pineault
Bobby Ryan
Suter
Jessiman
Parise
Mark Stuart
Danny Richmond
Dan Fritsche
Pat O'Sullivan
Ballard
Jim Slater
Umberger
Heshmatpour (If he ever figures out who he wishes to play for!)
Matt Auffrey
Phil Kessel
Geoffrion
Hensick

These are some of the guys who will either be on team USa for awhile longer or could be seen on team USA in the future. It's really not a bad list and I think the future is bright for team USA although there might be a few tough years while the changing of the guard takes place.

Cammileri is Canadian, he played for Canada U20 3 or so years ago and this list is nothing compared to the Canadians who are already proven international players. Once again the US will be at best 2nd and distant 2nd to Canada but i'd say in 2006 they'll be 4 or 5 and maybe 2 or 3rd in 2008. In 2010 they good prospects will be much better but again still no match for Crosby, Brule etc etc etc....

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
trahans99 said:
Cammileri is Canadian, he played for Canada U20 3 or so years ago and this list is nothing compared to the Canadians who are already proven international players. Once again the US will be at best 2nd and distant 2nd to Canada but i'd say in 2006 they'll be 4 or 5 and maybe 2 or 3rd in 2008. In 2010 they good prospects will be much better but again still no match for Crosby, Brule etc etc etc....

And how is that different from any other point in time up to now? And still, America has managed to surprise and this team will be a very good one.

Truckfighter

Jul 9, 2002
MrMastodonFarm said:
Leopold and Liles are going to anchor a very good blueline for the American for many years to come.

I agree that Leopold will be an anchor on the blueline for many years to come. However, if JM Liles is an "anchor" for the US blueline, then were in trouble :eek: :help: . Dont get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with Liles. He's a steady 4/5 defenseman on most GOOD teams in the NHL. But he is certainly not a guy I think anyone is predicting to anchor an Olympic or World Cup team.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
AJ1982 said:
DiPietro
Leopold
Drury (born in 76)
Gomez
Halpern (born in 76)
Martin
Liles
Gionta
York

Hall
Kesler
Komisarek
Tanabe

Legwand
Higgins
Malone
Hale
Jillson
Ryan Miller
Erik Cole
Mara

Schremp
Montoya
Thelen
Drew Stafford
Suter
Parise
Mark Stuart
Dan Fritsche
Pat O'Sullivan
Ballard
Jim Slater
Umberger

camalleri is canadian... but the guys i left i think give the usa a fantastic future to build around.. just the centers alone jeez.. having guys like parise and higgins and kesler and malone behind guys like legwand and drury and york and gomez will be incredible.. i'd love to see gomez center cole and legwand center hall at an international competition... those two combos are awesome

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It's funny how Canadians in this thread immediately discount the American future because it relies heavily on prospects, who are unproven, but then immediately start touting Crosby and Brule, et al.

Brule didn't look world class in the last tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad