Team USA's Future?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Sex Panther, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sex Panther

Sex Panther Whats that smell?

With the rapidly escalating average age of the US team. What do you think the US teams roster will look like in about 4 years?

Do you think they will be much of a force down the line? I know the goaltending looks like it has a bright future with Esche,Dipietro, and possibly Montoya. And perhaps thats the most important thing. I just dont know where the goals will come.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  2. HabLover

HabLover Registered User

Home Page:
    not very good....although Chelios will only be about 53, so the D will still be strong! :lol

and Montoya hasn't proven anything yet!

3. nomorekids

nomorekids The original, baby

Home Page:
    how is it "not very good," when the junior team just won gold, last year? If anything, Team USA's future is about as bright as it's ever been, with guys like O'Sullivan, Parise, Suter, Stuart, Thelen, Brown, Fritsche and Montoya coming into the league...along with guys like Martin, Liles, Leopold, Gomez all still being very young.

4. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager
    I think the future looks very bright. I don't know if 2006 (Turino) will be the true representation of the quality of the next generation of U.S. players though. I think the forwards will thin out a bit, but guys like Modano and Weight will still be young enough, and good enough to play. Maybe a guy like Parise will have progressed enough to be included, I don't know. The real change is going to be on the blueline, where a fairly significant overhaul will occur. Guys like Whitney, Orpik, Mara, Ballard, Komisarek and Suter will hopefully have made their pro marks by then. Goal will start with DiPietro and Esche, with perhaps Ryan Miller making a name for himself.

5. FlyersProspect2

FlyersProspect2 Registered User

Playmaker
    In the future as in around 2010, then myself and my friend Joe. In other words, the future looks bright for team USA. :banana: :yo: :D

6. HabLover

HabLover Registered User

Home Page:

well, I think the question was, 'how does the future look in 4 years', I'm guessing he means the next World Cup.

It's very nice that you listed 7 or 8 guys that haven't even played in the NHL yet. You are correct they are good prospects, but I don't think any of them will be there in 4 years, not national team caliber anyways. And one gold medal doesn't mean the future is bright and they were lucky to be beat a younger Canadian team.

and I wouldn't be building any team around guys like Martin, Liles, Gomez, etc. :lol

#66 Registered User

Home Page:
    [pissed] I hope that aside from a few players that they change everything about this team. I'm from NJ and I can't even root for them because of their "punky" attitude. I can't stand how they run around taking cheap shots with smirks on their faces. Take a look at the score board your losing AGAIN. Rafalski, Esche, Weinrich and very few others are class acts but for the most part they make me sick. [pissed]

8. Sex Panther

This is more a long the lines of what I was wondering. I dont think the US is going to be in good shape for the Olympics. The older players will just be older and the prospects for the most part will still be in the earlier stages of development and not ready to make an impact on an international level. So I am trying to look a little farther down the line.

9. O.T.

O.T. Registered User

Home Page:
    Mike York will also be there in the next four years, he will be around 31 years old and he will likely be a guy to make the next Olympics for team USA. Personally I don't know why he was'nt named to this World Cup in the first place! :dunno:

Also if Schremp hits his potential which is 50/50 right now, he will be very solid for team USA down the line too.

10. ALF AmericanLionsFan

ALF AmericanLionsFan Registered User

teacher
    Home Page:
    If your talking about the Olympics I'm not overly confident that we will compete for a gold, but the team will be taking on a younger look and it might take 4 years or so but I think the team will be able to bounce back(especially with a maturing of our solid goaltenders) and be able to compete for a gold again at international events.

11. AJ1982

AJ1982 Registered User

Home Page:
    Players 28 years old and younger who have represented USA at the senior level already that I can recall offhand...

Esche
    DiPietro
    Leopold
    Drury (born in 76)
    Gomez
    Halpern (born in 76)
    Martin
    Liles
    Gionta
    York

Players who could be good players for the US at some point who already in the NHL or AHL...

Hainsey
    Hall
    Kesler
    Komisarek
    Tanabe
    Cammalleri
    Legwand
    Higgins
    Taffe
    Malone
    Hale
    Hilbert
    Connolly
    Jillson
    Ryan Miller
    Berard (He might have played for USA already, not sure)
    Erik Cole
    Mara
    Poti
    Duncan Keith

Prospective players not in the NHL/AHL as of yet...

Patrick Eaves
    Ben Eaves
    Schremp
    Wheeler
    Montoya
    Thelen
    Drew Stafford
    Grant Lewis
    Pineault
    Bobby Ryan
    Suter
    Jessiman
    Parise
    Mark Stuart
    Danny Richmond
    Dan Fritsche
    Pat O'Sullivan
    Ballard
    Jim Slater
    Umberger
    Heshmatpour (If he ever figures out who he wishes to play for!)
    Matt Auffrey
    Phil Kessel
    Geoffrion
    Hensick

These are some of the guys who will either be on team USa for awhile longer or could be seen on team USA in the future. It's really not a bad list and I think the future is bright for team USA although there might be a few tough years while the changing of the guard takes place.

12. Classic Devil

Classic Devil Spirit of 1988

Awards:
    I don't understand... why not? Martin, Liles, Leopold have all proven themselves to be capable defenseman in international play and will only get better with time and Scott Gomez has had points on all but one or two of Team USA's goals. That's not a bad beginning to a core of a team. Of course, they need to add some physical defensemen to that and more forward depth but that's an admirable beginning.

13. nomorekids

Home Page:

because they're no MIKE KOMISAREK or CHRISTOPHER HIGGINS, duh!

14. McDonald19

McDonald19 Marcus Pettersson

Analyst
    The thing I have noticed is there is a big age gap. USA has some good players in the 18-21 range and good players from 28-40ish.

For whatever reason there aren't a lot of good USA players in their mid 20s which is a problem when playing Canada who has so many good players at that age.

15. Kugel

Kugel Registered User

Cammerlli is canadian

16. DownFromNJ

DownFromNJ Registered User

Quite similar to the NJ Devils roster :)

Gionta, Parise, Gomez, Hale, Martin, possibly Langs and Rafalski.

Hell, USA B team:

Rasmussen, Marshall, Pandolfo, DeMarchi, Tallackson, and possibly more. Go NJUSA hockey :)

17. Classic Devil

Awards:
    Raffi will be 34, I doubt he'll still be there. But still...
    Lou always did like American players.

18. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

Why don't you give it a rest

19. nomorekids

Home Page:

I'd have no problem giving it a rest, but when someone makes a pretty silly statement(laughing at the idea that Liles, Martin and Leopold are a d-core to build a team around), and having seen the types of post this person makes...

20. MrMastodonFarm*

MrMastodonFarm* Registered User

Leopold and Liles are going to anchor a very good blueline for the American for many years to come.

21. trahans99

trahans99 Registered User

Accountant

Cammileri is Canadian, he played for Canada U20 3 or so years ago and this list is nothing compared to the Canadians who are already proven international players. Once again the US will be at best 2nd and distant 2nd to Canada but i'd say in 2006 they'll be 4 or 5 and maybe 2 or 3rd in 2008. In 2010 they good prospects will be much better but again still no match for Crosby, Brule etc etc etc....

22. Classic Devil

Awards:
    And how is that different from any other point in time up to now? And still, America has managed to surprise and this team will be a very good one.

23. Sex Panther

I agree that Leopold will be an anchor on the blueline for many years to come. However, if JM Liles is an "anchor" for the US blueline, then were in trouble :eek: :help: . Dont get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with Liles. He's a steady 4/5 defenseman on most GOOD teams in the NHL. But he is certainly not a guy I think anyone is predicting to anchor an Olympic or World Cup team.

24. andora

andora Registered User

camalleri is canadian... but the guys i left i think give the usa a fantastic future to build around.. just the centers alone jeez.. having guys like parise and higgins and kesler and malone behind guys like legwand and drury and york and gomez will be incredible.. i'd love to see gomez center cole and legwand center hall at an international competition... those two combos are awesome

25. William H Bonney

William H Bonney Registered User

It's funny how Canadians in this thread immediately discount the American future because it relies heavily on prospects, who are unproven, but then immediately start touting Crosby and Brule, et al.

Brule didn't look world class in the last tournament.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.