Team USA's Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
nomorekids said:
I'd have no problem giving it a rest, but when someone makes a pretty silly statement(laughing at the idea that Liles, Martin and Leopold are a d-core to build a team around), and having seen the types of post this person makes...
Yeah I'm kinda missing your point too, these guys have only been in the league for two or years or less but let you seem to know what kind of players these talent and YOUNG defensemen will be down the road, have you really seen any of these guys play espicially Martin who just keeps getting better and better. Please explain.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Lou is God said:
Yeah I'm kinda missing your point too, these guys have only been in the league for two or years or less but let you seem to know what kind of players these talent and YOUNG defensemen will be down the road, have you really seen any of these guys play espicially Martin who just keeps getting better and better. Please explain.

hm, are you disagreeing with me or him?

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Mobey said:
It's funny how Canadians in this thread immediately discount the American future because it relies heavily on prospects, who are unproven, but then immediately start touting Crosby and Brule, et al.

Brule didn't look world class in the last tournament.

Hahaha no comparison here man.... there isn't one American born prospect in the last decade to compare to Crosby let alone one from the past 3 years.... Even Gretz himself said "He could one day be the guy to break my records". He said last summer when Crosby was 16. He so far proved Gretz to be smart as he posted amazing numbers in the CHL in his first year. Brule is suppose to be a great player too but i'm talking mainly about Crosby here.

And if you want to go down the depth charts of Canada vs USA in prospects of under 25 Canada wins hands down.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
trahans99 said:
Hahaha no comparison here man.... there isn't one American born prospect in the last decade to compare to Crosby let alone one from the past 3 years.... Even Gretz himself said "He could one day be the guy to break my records". He said last summer when Crosby was 16. He so far proved Gretz to be smart as he posted amazing numbers in the CHL in his first year. Brule is suppose to be a great player too but i'm talking mainly about Crosby here.

And if you want to go down the depth charts of Canada vs USA in prospects of under 25 Canada wins hands down.

The same was once said about Daniel Cleary :teach:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
nomorekids said:
haha, i'm really confused..because i think we agree...but you seem to be upset with something i said...
Uh yeah, that with Martin, Liles and Lepold you can't build a 'D' around them and I say yeah you can. Throw in Ryan Suter and Mark Stuart, that's not bad, not bad at all. I hope I didn't misunderstand you hate feeling like an idiot.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Lou is God said:
Uh yeah, that with Martin, Liles and Lepold you can't build a 'D' around them and I say yeah you can. Throw in Ryan Suter and Mark Stuart, that's not bad, not bad at all. I hope I didn't misunderstand you hate feeling like an idiot.

I was the one that said you CAN build a d-core around them. It was the HabLover guy that was laughing at that. I'm a huge fan of all those mentioned...and I see Martin about 15 times a year in person(I live in NJ,a nd while not a Devils fan, I attend quite a few of their games)

I think you need to take a deep breath and re-read what I was saying. Just as I mentioned...we're on the same page. I think the USA's d-core is looking in great shape, down the road.

Last edited:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
nomorekids said:
I was the one that said you CAN build a d-core around them. It was the VANHAB guy that was laughing at that. I'm a huge fan of all those mentioned...and I see Martin about 15 times a year in person(I live in NJ,a nd while not a Devils fan, I attend quite a few of their games)

I think you need to take a deep breath and re-read what I was saying. Just as I mentioned...we're on the same page. I think the USA's d-core is looking in great shape, down the road.

Ahhhhh I missed your first post, I saw this;

I'd have no problem giving it a rest, but when someone makes a pretty silly statement(laughing at the idea that Liles, Martin and Leopold are a d-core to build a team around), and having seen the types of post this person makes...

and assumed YOU found them laughable. Hahaha my bad.

OT - It's never to late to convert to the force, since you visit the chapel enough.

burner10115

Jul 14, 2004
HabLover said:
not very good....although Chelios will only be about 53, so the D will still be strong! :lol

and Montoya hasn't proven anything yet!
Not proven anything yet?? MAyb not in the pros, but he's proven he is a very good goalie to have In the Us' future. Did u even watch the Juniour tourney? :shakehead

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
burner10115 said:
Not proven anything yet?? MAyb not in the pros, but he's proven he is a very good goalie to have In the Us' future. Did u even watch the Juniour tourney? :shakehead
Even if Montoya fills out his potential, whos to say he would start? DiPietro still has a lot of growing to do and can become much better, and Esche is stealing the show this World Cup year. The USA could have a trio of goalies that could only be topped by our neighboring country.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
trahans99 said:

I agree that Canada will continue to have more depth in all areas than any other hockey nation. However, Canada isn't the only hockey playing nation to compare the US to. The real argument should be about how the US will stack up against the five Europeans hockey powers. At this point it seems to me that Russia and the Czech Republic are the biggest threats. Finland is doing well producing talented players but I think they will continue to struggle with depth. Sweden is having a big drought compared to the early '90s and it remains to be seen whether or not they can snap out of it. Slovakia doesn't seem to be producing enough the replace the players they have now either.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
I agree that Canada will continue to have more depth in all areas than any other hockey nation. However, Canada isn't the only hockey playing nation to compare the US to. The real argument should be about how the US will stack up against the five Europeans hockey powers. At this point it seems to me that Russia and the Czech Republic are the biggest threats. Finland is doing well producing talented players but I think they will continue to struggle with depth. Sweden is having a big drought compared to the early '90s and it remains to be seen whether or not they can snap out of it. Slovakia doesn't seem to be producing enough the replace the players they have now either.

All I know is the U.S. has about the same number of indoor rinks and registered players as Canada. For a country that doesn't take the sport very seriously on a national level, that's pretty impressive IMO. It's only a matter of time before we start churning out consistent crops of top-notch players. Russia's an interesting story. If they get their federation in order, they could once again be the pre-eminent power.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
All I know is the U.S. has about the same number of indoor rinks and registered players as Canada. For a country that doesn't take the sport very seriously on a national level, that's pretty impressive IMO. It's only a matter of time before we start churning out consistent crops of top-notch players. Russia's an interesting story. If they get their federation in order, they could once again be the pre-eminent power.

I don't really have the facts in front of me but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the registered players in the US just don't take the game seriously enough to become elite players. The situation could be similar to soccer where I'd have to imagine that we've got more kids playing here than there are in some of the major soccor powers but the kids here are just doing it for fun. The US has the potential to rival Canada but it's really a big question mark as to whether or not it will ever really happen. I'd definitly say that the answer to that question falls well out of the scope of the next 15 to 20 years.

I agree that if Russia could get their act together they too have enormous potential.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Mobey said:
It's funny how Canadians in this thread immediately discount the American future because it relies heavily on prospects, who are unproven, but then immediately start touting Crosby and Brule, et al.

Brule didn't look world class in the last tournament.

the thing is we have young proven talent as well ie Thorton Heatly Richards Nash Lecavier Igilina Brewer Redden Regher Bowmesster Luongo so i would say we are in better shape The Russians should also be good with guys like Zheredev Ovechkin Malkin and Kovulchuk coming up

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
nomorekids said:
haha, i'm really confused..because i think we agree...but you seem to be upset with something i said...

I was also confused, as what he said seems to follow what you said. "Martin is getting better and better".

Edit: If I read the rest of this thread before making this reply, I wouldn't have had to make it. :shakehead

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rob Paxon said:
I was also confused, as what he said seems to follow what you said. "Martin is getting better and better".

Edit: If I read the rest of this thread before making this reply, I wouldn't have had to make it. :shakehead

don't worry, man. it's all that grind\powerviolence you've been listening to. it does that to you.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
AJ1982 said:
Players 28 years old and younger who have represented USA at the senior level already that I can recall offhand...

Esche
DiPietro
Leopold
Drury (born in 76)
Gomez
Halpern (born in 76)
Martin
Liles
Gionta
York

Players who could be good players for the US at some point who already in the NHL or AHL...

Hainsey
Hall
Kesler
Komisarek
Tanabe
Cammalleri
Legwand
Higgins
Taffe
Malone
Hale
Hilbert
Connolly
Jillson
Ryan Miller
Berard (He might have played for USA already, not sure)
Erik Cole
Mara
Poti
Duncan Keith

Prospective players not in the NHL/AHL as of yet...

Patrick Eaves
Ben Eaves
Schremp
Wheeler
Montoya
Thelen
Drew Stafford
Grant Lewis
Pineault
Bobby Ryan
Suter
Jessiman
Parise
Mark Stuart
Danny Richmond
Dan Fritsche
Pat O'Sullivan
Ballard
Jim Slater
Umberger
Heshmatpour (If he ever figures out who he wishes to play for!)
Matt Auffrey
Phil Kessel
Geoffrion
Hensick

These are some of the guys who will either be on team USa for awhile longer or could be seen on team USA in the future. It's really not a bad list and I think the future is bright for team USA although there might be a few tough years while the changing of the guard takes place.

OK, great list there man.....but yeah, Cammelleri is Canadian and I don't know why you listed Duncan Keith, but he to is Canadian. Grasping at straws or what??

I really think Team USA should have added a couple of guys like a York or a Legwand to name a few. You could even throw in a Cole or something, but in any event they need some youth and the first two guys have some decent talent. The chance for those two guys to play with the Modano's, Tkachuk's, etc. would have been awesome!

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
AJ1982 said:
Players who could be good players for the US at some point who already in the NHL or AHL...

Hainsey
Hall
Kesler
Komisarek
Tanabe
Cammalleri
Legwand
Higgins
Taffe
Malone
Hale
Hilbert
Connolly
Jillson
Ryan Miller
Berard (He might have played for USA already, not sure)
Erik Cole
Mara
Poti
Duncan Keith

Add Tim Gleason(shaping up to be a number 2/3 dman)

AJ1982 said:
Prospective players not in the NHL/AHL as of yet...

Patrick Eaves
Ben Eaves
Schremp
Wheeler
Montoya
Thelen
Drew Stafford
Grant Lewis
Pineault
Bobby Ryan
Suter
Jessiman
Parise
Mark Stuart
Danny Richmond
Dan Fritsche
Pat O'Sullivan
Ballard
Jim Slater
Umberger
Heshmatpour (If he ever figures out who he wishes to play for!)
Matt Auffrey
Phil Kessel
Geoffrion
Hensick

Add Brian Boyle,(who's skilled and huge) and Brady Murray(superskilled little guy)

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
One thing the USA seems to be missing lately is non-goalie prospects of the "franchise player" type: Kovalchuk, Heatley, Ovechkin, Spezza, Bouwmeester, Gaborik, Malkin, Nash, etc. Kessel could be that type of player in a few years, but other guys like Crosby, Brule, Vasyunov, etc. will also be coming during that time period.

The safe money is on Canada staying near the top due to their great depth and top line talent at all positions, with Russia staying close provided they can develop some consistently strong goaltending. The USA will continue to put together solid teams, but ones lacking in that extra-special star power that some of the others can provide. The USA seems very good lately at producing a lot of depth though.

Personally, I can really see Finland emerging as one of the dominant hockey powers by about 2010 or so, going on a run of impressive results like 1998-2001 Czech Republic and 2002-2004 Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->