WC: Team Switzerland 2022

niilo22

Feb 11, 2018
If Josi is out of this team. Who will be no.1 defender on power play? Is it J.Moser?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, Moser will be on the PP for sure. Egli would be my second choice, so maybe this is the reason he's gonna get a spot. Fora also plays PP in Ambri. We'll see.

Reactions: niilo22

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
What a disappointment, but you can't really blame him for that.

I'm surprised Frick was cute rather than Fora or Glauser. And cutting Loeffel and Alatalo makes even less sense now that Josi won't join.

Eggenberger is the odd man out at forward, which is less surprising.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fischer registered the following 18 players. So those will play on Saturday and will be joined by 5 further skaters.

Berra, Genoni, Aeschlimann

Kukan
Geisser
Glauser
Fora
Moser
Siegenthaler

Ambühl
Hischier
Meier
Suter
Simion
Herzog
Malgin
Corvi
Bertschy

So not registered:
Marti
Egli

Riat
Kurashev
Scherwey
Thürkauf
Miranda

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
So Fiala is out. Nino is tied 3-3.
I would love to see Fiala with the team (also Nino of course). I just really doubt he will come with his contract situation. He is about to sign the biggest contract in his life and to jeopardize that would be quite the committment. Same goes for Nino who is a UFA on top of that (Fiala being an RFA).

I guess we will have to wait and see. The fact that Fischer only selected 9 F for now kind of hints at Fiala potentially being availalbe.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Would be great if we could get either of them. Lets hope Fiala still has PTSD about 2018. I think this roster is competitive as it is on F. The overall roster quality of Sweden and Finnland seems to have declined in the last few years. Maybe its because they are saturated with their recent success at the mens level. So outside Canada I don't see a team that is better than us in this department right now. Still Fiala would certainly improve our chances for a medal drastically. In this case we could field two dynamic scoring lines. Nino would be more than welcome to. I feel like he would be a fantastic fit as Hischiers left wing.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Not sure I'd have Niederreiter and Meier on the same line, I prefer to spread the physical wingers. If Fiala joins, it makes sense to have him play with Hischier and Meier (Hischier worked well with Fiala in 2019). If Niederreiter joins later I'd try him with Corvi first to recreate the magic from 2018.

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013

No Josi .. still strong team but no josi no medal :( Fiala maybe could change it

Very strong forwards great coaching obviously still a very strong medal contender.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Not sure I'd have Niederreiter and Meier on the same line, I prefer to spread the physical wingers. If Fiala joins, it makes sense to have him play with Hischier and Meier (Hischier worked well with Fiala in 2019). If Niederreiter joins later I'd try him with Corvi first to recreate the magic from 2018.

I thought Hischier and Nino had great chemistry the limited time they played together in 2019. I know its a very small sample size but still. The left wing position of the Hischier/Meier line has been a major problem the last tournament. Fixing that should be Fischers main priority if he wants to keep those two together this year. As far as Fiala goes id rather have him drive his own line alongside Suter or Malgin as his center. Yes he looked great with Hischier in some of the games in 2019. But against the top teams they were actually not that effective if I remember correctly. I think its better not to load up all the high end talent on one line. That makes it easier for the opponent to shut down your offense. But its probably pointless to speculate about this right now. Both players are still hypotheticals at this point. If they decide actually reinforce the roster Fischer should have a couple of "easy" games where he can figure the line combinations out.

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I'm not a big fan of having your three best forwards on the same line either, but Hischier and Meier work well together and as you said, there is no obvious choice for the LW position, Fiala just happens to be a good fit, and if not him, then who (Assuming Niederreiter is not available)?

On the other hand I'd love to see a Fiala - Malgin - Suter line. Or maybe play Fiala with Corvi like in 2018, along with Simion or Herzog.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I'm not a big fan of having your three best forwards on the same line either, but Hischier and Meier work well together and as you said, there is no obvious choice for the LW position, Fiala just happens to be a good fit, and if not him, then who (Assuming Niederreiter is not available)?

On the other hand I'd love to see a Fiala - Malgin - Suter line. Or maybe play Fiala with Corvi like in 2018, along with Simion or Herzog.

Again there are multiple options that could work out. If Fischer can find a second and third line that works well without Fiala in the first few games there is certainly no harm in letting trying him out with with Meier/Nico. In any case its certainly a good problem to have. But I refuse to get excited about this until Fiala actually says he's coming.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Would be great if we could get either of them. Lets hope Fiala still has PTSD about 2018. I think this roster is competitive as it is on F. The overall roster quality of Sweden and Finnland seems to have declined in the last few years. Maybe its because they are saturated with their recent success at the mens level. So outside Canada I don't see a team that is better than us in this department right now. Still Fiala would certainly improve our chances for a medal drastically. In this case we could field two dynamic scoring lines. Nino would be more than welcome to. I feel like he would be a fantastic fit as Hischiers left wing.
No its not about lack of interest. Its declining due injuries and player success in the NHL. They want to join but they are not available. Success in national team is not the problem.

For Sweden lack of interest is obvious though.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
No its not about lack of interest. Its declining due injuries and player success in the NHL. They want to join but they are not available. Success in national team is not the problem.

For Sweden lack of interest is obvious though.

Ok I just knew it in Swedens case, where some players like Petterson just didn't want to report, therefore the maybe. Good to hear Finland is still hungry for more. Its certainly good for the tournament. With their standout coaching and team spirtit Finland is always a favourite, even if the absolute high end talent isn't available...

Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Ok I just knew it in Swedens case, where some players like Petterson just didn't want to report, therefore the maybe. Good to hear Finland is still hungry for more. Its certainly good for the tournament. With their standout coaching and team spirtit Finland is always a favourite, even if the absolute high end talent isn't available...
Yeah doesn't really help when our top players are stacked in Florida, Carolina and Dallas. I guess also Nashville too but they already lost and we got Granlund.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Yeah doesn't really help when our top players are stacked in Florida, Carolina and Dallas. I guess also Nashville too but they already lost and we got Granlund.
Yeah guys like Aho, Rantanen or Barkov would each be the best player in this years tournament, if available. But at least a lot of your guys will have a shot at the cup. On the other hand its always fun to see the "mercenaries" from the NLA on team Finland instead. And it also makes room for young promising talents. To bad Brad Lambert seems to have stagnated a bit. I was hoping he would make the team in his draft season like Laine and Kakko in the past.

Reactions: FinPanda

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fiala - Hischier - Meier would easily be the best forward-line of this tournament.

Weibel contacted Fiala, no decision as of now.

Reactions: jaro

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
It's annoying that it was reported that all NHL players were willing to join and now we've had one staying home and another who isn't sure.

Was that piece of news made up, or did something unforeseeable happened in Fiala's case?

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
It's annoying that it was reported that all NHL players were willing to join and now we've had one staying home and another who isn't sure.

Was that piece of news made up, or did something unforeseeable happened in Fiala's case?
We have 7 out of 8 attending and 1 not sure...
I would call that a rate every other country could only dream of.

I mean Josi's case is understandable. He guess he knew that a while ago... but you can't really be mad at him. He eats 30 mins a night over an 80 game season and never before declined an invitation.

Fiala has insurance issues. The rumor is that the DEB didn't want to pay Draisaitl's so we may have a similar case here..

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

I can't find this article anymore but did it actually say the NHL players committed to the WC a 100%? I thought it said they were all open to it in general but without any hard commitments. The way i read Weibels statement it seems he hasn't actually talked to Fiala but merely sent him a message and is now waiting to hear back from him. Whats I find weird is that the federation hasn't looked into the insurance issue of his contract yet.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
I can't find this article anymore but did it actually say the NHL players committed to the WC a 100%? I thought it said they were all open to it in general but without any hard commitments. The way i read Weibels statement it seems he hasn't actually talked to Fiala but merely sent him a message and is now waiting to hear back from him. Whats I find weird is that the federation hasn't looked into the insurance issue of his contract yet.
Yes I recall the same, that they generally all showed interest but no hard committment. I mean a lot can change in 1-2 months, little injureis, feeling tired after a long season, personal reasons, ongoing contract negotiations, private stuff, who knows.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
We have 7 out of 8 attending and 1 not sure...
I would call that a rate every other country could only dream of.

I mean Josi's case is understandable. He guess he knew that a while ago... but you can't really be mad at him. He eats 30 mins a night over an 80 game season and never before declined an invitation.

Fiala has insurance issues. The rumor is that the DEB didn't want to pay Draisaitl's so we may have a similar case here..

To be clear, I am not mad at Josi, a child is obviously a good reason to skip hockey games. But he should have known months ago and it should have been made clear that his presence wasn't guaranteed.

The only source I could find is this one, which quotes Blick:

It says the Fischer and Weibel met the players and all said they would be available if not in the playoffs (I guess you can argue that it's unclear whether that includes players out in the first round). It also mentions the insurance issues and they've been worked out in the case of Kukan and Kurashev, so they probably started to work on Fiala's case already, although I assume insuring Fiala's next contract is far more complicated than Kukan's or Kurashev's.

And I'm off to Helsinki! :vhappy:

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Weibel said he contacted Fiala so I guess this wouldn't be the issue.
He contacted him to ask if he'd pay the insurance all by himself ;)

I guess we'll find out soon. To be honest, Fiala has had an awesome season but an underwhelming post season. Now with the contract issues and trade rumors, I'm not so sure if his mindset would be 100% on the NT.
Would be a nice addition but no problem without him.
Josi instead of Fora would've lifted us up a few levels, Fiala replacing a forward would be less of an upgrade.

I'm looking forward to the start now, we have a really good team, no excuses for Fischer, time to deliver!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad