WC: Team Switzerland 2022

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
If Switzerland goes to the Semis Pius Suter should be MVP of the tournament.

As of today Suter would be my MVP of Switzerland as well. Depending on what happens in the next few games, especially the quarterfinals and beyond, Hischier and Malgin could play themselves into the conversation too. However, I haven't seen enough of the tournament to have a sound comparison to the other nations.

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Suter is such an underrated player. Great hockey IQ and vision, good shot as well and he has been a monster on the PK the last few games. Hischier has been turning it up as well after a bit of a slow start. Our most dangerous forward offensively today and a few good plays in his own zone too. Not to mention his faceoff qualities that are crucial. Malgin on the other hand seemed a bit more contained against the physical players from canada today. Meier still looks like he is cruising sometimes but he was more involved with his linemates today.
Malgin seems indeed to suffer greatly against physical opponents. That‘s why I think that he couldn‘t make it in the NHL, although I think that if he keeps piling up points at this tournament maybe he‘ll get one more chance.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Malgin seems indeed to suffer greatly against physical opponents. That‘s why I think that he couldn‘t make it in the NHL, although I think that if he keeps piling up points at this tournament maybe he‘ll get one more chance.
I'm just watching the game fully as I couldn't see it yesterday (or just on my mobile phone).
Malgin wasn't as dominant as in the other games but he still was very good and I wouldn't actually say he suffered. If he has the correct linemates he still can produce and his defensive game really stepped up in the last years. If someone told me 3 years ago that Malgin would play PK at the WC I'd never had believed that.

Reactions: teddygmr

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

Agreed. I always thought consitency was another factor. In Florida he still had occasionally great games but disappeared also for long stretches of the season. He seems to have improved on that with the Lions but its always difficult to tell how that translates to antother League. Since the Toronto GM might get fired this offseason he could get antother shot with the Leafs. I would rather see him try on a rebuilding team however where he could play in a more prominent role. But with his rights belonging to Toronto its unfortunately not for him to decide where he plays.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I'm just watching the game fully as I couldn't see it yesterday (or just on my mobile phone).
Malgin wasn't as dominant as in the other games but he still was very good and I wouldn't actually say he suffered. If he has the correct linemates he still can produce and his defensive game really stepped up in the last years. If someone told me 3 years ago that Malgin would play PK at the WC I'd never had believed that.
I felt a bit different watching the game. He was knocked of the puck with ease a lot of times and his dangling attempts were mostly fruitless against the experienced NHL defenders. He wasnt bad by any means and still got two assists, but he wasnt anywhere near as effective as he was earlier in the tournament. He also profited from Suters performance who played one of the best games I have ever seen from him.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Agreed. I always thought consitency was another factor. In Florida he still had occasionally great games but disappeared also for long stretches of the season. He seems to have improved on that with the Lions but its always difficult to tell how that translates to antother League. Since the Toronto GM might get fired this offseason he could get antother shot with the Leafs. I would rather see him try on a rebuilding team however where he could play in a more prominent role. But with his rights belonging to Toronto its unfortunately not for him to decide where he plays.
what I read on TSN it's not likely that Dubas gets fired and I agree he could be a valuable asset on a rebuilding team with the right linemates. I think he'll get another shot if he produces like this in the playoffs and swiss makes the SF but I'm not sure if a return to Toronot would be the best thing for him (of course financially probably yes but in terms of the game itself i doubt)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
what I read on TSN it's not likely that Dubas gets fired and I agree he could be a valuable asset on a rebuilding team with the right linemates. I think he'll get another shot if he produces like this in the playoffs and swiss makes the SF but I'm not sure if a return to Toronot would be the best thing for him (of course financially probably yes but in terms of the game itself i doubt)

Even Toronto has to ajust to the salary cap so I doubt he would get a lot more than the league minimum there. So I dont really see any upside for him with the Leafs. The issue is that he has to play in the top six or at least have decent ice time on a very skilled third line to be effective. And that I don't see happening in Toronto with or without Dubas.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Even Toronto has to ajust to the salary cap so I doubt he would get a lot more than the league minimum there. So I dont really see any upside for him with the Leafs. The issue is that he has to play in the top six or at least have decent ice time on a very skilled third line to be effective. And that I don't see happening in Toronto with or without Dubas.
wasn't aware of the cap situation in Toronto but I agree there's absolutely no point in returning to Toronto for league minimum unless he gets traded to a team with the opportunities you mentioned

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
And that I don't see happening in Toronto with or without Dubas.
Well you could also make a point Dubas was like a perfect GM for actually getting a chance to players, European FAs included. Arguably that's why he was willing to trade for Malgin in the first place. So if he can't make it with the Leafs I doubt there is an actual team that would need him at all.

I talked about this a little when it came to Manninen's situation but bad teams see no problem with being bad, they don't need some older guy from Europe to make them slightly less bad. That's actually kinda against their goals. And contenders don't need him at all because risk just doesn't outweigh the reward unless it is for the league minimum.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I felt a bit different watching the game. He was knocked of the puck with ease a lot of times and his dangling attempts were mostly fruitless against the experienced NHL defenders. He wasnt bad by any means and still got two assists, but he wasnt anywhere near as effective as he was earlier in the tournament. He also profited from Suters performance who played one of the best games I have ever seen from him.
Yes, that is my assessment too. When he was confronted with quality players + at the same time physically strong and willing to use their physique on a constant basis, the dominance he showed in other games disappeared. The very few times he had enough space to dangle and use his speed, you could see his qualities, but they sure took away that space 90% of the time, and when that happened, he wasn‘t as much a factor as in the other games, imho. The Canadians made him look very pedestrian.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
He still got 2 assists and created plenty of chances despite the reduced efficiency, so even with being knocked off the puck many times he managed to do his job.

Beside, you can expect pretty much any player to have a harder time against Canada than against Italy or Kazakhstan.

Last edited:
Reactions: teddygmr

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
That's what I meant. Of course he was outmuscled and with his body and I think it's quite possible that he'd loose some of his quickness if he would gain too much weight. But he always stood up immediatly fought back and he was able to produce and this is the most important thing. And as I said, he can play a good defense without pushing guys around who are much stronger than he is.

But showing this over a full NHL-season is a different story than showing this in a max 10 games tournament where you have weaker opponents, too. Let's just enjoy how good and smart he plays at the moment. It's a pleasure to watch him skate and play.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Well you could also make a point Dubas was like a perfect GM for actually getting a chance to players, European FAs included. Arguably that's why he was willing to trade for Malgin in the first place. So if he can't make it with the Leafs I doubt there is an actual team that would need him at all.

I talked about this a little when it came to Manninen's situation but bad teams see no problem with being bad, they don't need some older guy from Europe to make them slightly less bad. That's actually kinda against their goals. And contenders don't need him at all because risk just doesn't outweigh the reward unless it is for the league minimum.

I see your point regarding Dubas but his experiment with Malgin didnt really work out and Malgin left the Team. So I thought if a new GM would come in he might get another look even though its unlikely as most of the "old boys club" GM's don't like players like Malgin that much.

I am not sure I would agree with your second point though. Not every rebuilding team is in full fledged tank mode and there are definitely teams that would want to get better and give their prospects someone to play with. In Malgins case the issue is definitely his track record in the NHL so far.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I am not sure I would agree with your second point though. Not every rebuilding team is in full fledged tank mode and there are definitely teams that would want to get better and give their prospects someone to play with. In Malgins case the issue is definitely his track record in the NHL so far.
Sure there are a few teams that try to exit the tank mode and are flirting with being competitive (Buffalo comes to mind) but they feel so little cap pressure one assumes they would rather just overpay some proven NHLer for a few years to give prospects someone to play with (arguably why Buffalo doesn't care at all about Okposo or even Skinner's contract) than sign another cat-in-the-bag kind of guy.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Shame, the team needs the energy he brings. I guess that means Miranda - Thürkauf - Bertschy 4th line and Kurashev back with Hischier.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So to fetch the first place of the group Switzerland needs to get either

a) A win after regulation
b) A win after overtime or shootout
c) A loss after overtime or shootout
d) A loss after regulation with not more than 2 goals difference

This looks possible to me.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
So to fetch the first place of the group Switzerland needs to get either

a) A win after regulation
b) A win after overtime or shootout
c) A loss after overtime or shootout
d) A loss after regulation with not more than 2 goals difference

This looks possible to me.

Not true yet. If Canada doesn't run the table against France and Denmark we can have a two way tie with Germany holding the tie breaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: