Team Slovakia right now

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What would be strongest possible team Slovakia right now?

Tomas Tatar - Matus Sukel - Richard Panik
Marian Gaborik - Marko Dano - Peter Cehlarik
Michal Kristof - Libor Hudacek - Martin Bakos
Tomas Jurco - Tomas Marcinko - Marek Hrivik

Zdeno Chara - Christian Jaros
Sekera - Erik Cernak
Martin Fehervary - Martin Marincin

Jaroslav Halak
Julius Hudacek

Enough firepower to suprise the bigger nations?

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Tomas Zaborsky - Tomas Marcinko - Marek Hrivik

Michal Cajkovsky - Erik Cernak

Jaroslav Halak
Julius Hudacek

No way, Switzerland is even better. Could maybe upset USA in a WC year where alot of key players decline and they choose NHL grinders mixed with College players.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com

Tomas Zaborsky - Tomas Marcinko - Marek Hrivik

Michal Cajkovsky - Erik Cernak

Jaroslav Halak
Julius Hudacek

So was the goal to assemble names with no regard for whether or not these players might ever actually play for Slovakia?

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
No way, Switzerland is even better. Could maybe upset USA in a WC year where alot of key players decline and they choose NHL grinders mixed with College players.
Slovak defense > Swiss defense (besides Josi)
But the Swiss forwards are much better than ours. I’d argue that halak is better than any Swiss goalie and that really isn’t debatable

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
who do you have in mind?
Well, Chara is 41 and coming up on a contract year. Gaborik definitely isn't coming back. Last I heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, Zaborsky and the Federation aren't in each other's good graces. And Fehervary may be great in the future, but for right now I'm skeptical. Sekera is much healthier than Gaborik, he'd be an option.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Well, Chara is 41 and coming up on a contract year. Gaborik definitely isn't coming back. Last I heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, Zaborsky and the Federation aren't in each other's good graces. And Fehervary may be great in the future, but for right now I'm skeptical. Sekera is much healthier than Gaborik, he'd be an option.

Fehervary might be young, but he is already one of the best stay-at-home dmans in SHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Slovak defense > Swiss defense (besides Josi)

Any actual argument for it? Swiss have a bigger difference maker now, more NHL bodies and an endless supply of solid options in Europe. What do the Slovaks have that Swiss can't counter? And outside of the top-4 your options are terrible altogether, Ceresnak is the only one having a solid season.

Realistically, the days than Switzerland vs. Slovakia was an actual comparison are gone. I think Slovak fans need to switch to "well, we are still better than Germany" mode to make feel themselves better. And it would actually be an interesting debate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goodman68

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Gaborik? No, he is done. Even if he will play again, he is done.

The Defense is too much North America oriented. I think, in Europe we could have also some good D. Naming Cajkovsky or now Ceresnak in Czech league.

But yes, the glory days are over. We should wait 10 years to another dream team. For now, they must strictly play organised hockey, not a hura system.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Gaborik? No, he is done. Even if he will play again, he is done.

The Defense is too much North America oriented. I think, in Europe we could have also some good D. Naming Cajkovsky or now Ceresnak in Czech league.

But yes, the glory days are over. We should wait 10 years to another dream team. For now, they must strictly play organised hockey, not a hura system.

Do you think Budaj and Meszaros is done?

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia

Tomas Jurco - Tomas Marcinko - Marek Hrivik

Sekera - Erik Cernak

Jaroslav Halak
Julius Hudacek

Sukel as the first center? I don't agree. He is suitable maybe for the 3rd line.
If Hrivik and Viedensky would be healthy, I would choose one of them. Otherwise I think Kristof will be our 1st center.
From forwards I would definitely add promising forwards like Liska from Slovan, Lantosi or Bucek from Slovak league, then Bondra junior, Svitana, Tybor from mid generation and Nagy from older generation.
From defensemen I would choose also Ceresnak, Gernat, Cajkovsky, Grman, and maybe Rosandic.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
From forwards I would definitely add promising forwards like Liska from Slovan, Lantosi or Bucek from Slovak league, then Bondra junior, Svitana, Tybor from mid generation and Nagy from older generation.
How about Paulovic?

Regarding Cajkovsky, Dynamo realistically have ~12 games remaining this season so I think this season is gone for him.

Reactions: degustator

james12

Mar 31, 2018
Fehervary might be young, but he is already one of the best stay-at-home dmans in SHL.

Fehérváry is not stay-at-home D. I'd agree with you though that he already is one of the best D-men but sooner puck-moving.

member 305909

Is there a serious chance of Slovakia being relegated from the top-pool? Probably not this year as they will put up some performance at the home-tournament but only two years ago Slovakia only narrowly avoided relegation by beating Italy but losing to everyone else.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Is there a serious chance of Slovakia being relegated from the top-pool? Probably not this year as they will put up some performance at the home-tournament but only two years ago Slovakia only narrowly avoided relegation by beating Italy but losing to everyone else.
Yes, we were 1 minute from getting relegated 2 years ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad