team payrolls currently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
oil slick said:
With a 24% rollback, that would put NYR well under the cap I think. Toronto seems to be the team that would suffer the most. Makes those three contracts they offered before the CBA failed more important I guess.

The owners have been presenting a number of things. none of which contain this rollback. As long as the CBA has a cap in it, it won't have the rollback in it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
John Flyers Fan said:
That'd be fine by me:

Pittsburgh: John LeClair
Nashville: Tony Amonte
Carolina: Sean Burke

Then we're all set. ;)

Why in the hell would we in Pittsburgh take that salary albatross off your hands? We did not position ourselves so well for the upcoming environment to help the Flyers. We will pick and choose as we wish to.

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
How many players need to be signed for a full roster? I know 24 dress, but how many roster players count against the cap? Thanks, in advance.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Why in the hell would we in Pittsburgh take that salary albatross off your hands? We did not position ourselves so well for the upcoming environment to help the Flyers. We will pick and choose as we wish to.

#1. I don't think there will be any kind of dispersal draft.

#2. The Flyers and all teams will be able to protect players. Players like Gagne, Pitkanen etc. won't be made available.

#3. Under the owners plan the Penguins would have to add $19 million in payroll, with just 7 players.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
John Flyers Fan said:
#1. I don't think there will be any kind of dispersal draft.

#2. The Flyers and all teams will be able to protect players. Players like Gagne, Pitkanen etc. won't be made available.

#3. Under the owners plan the Penguins would have to add $29 million in payroll, with just 7 players.

Not quite, I am sure that a number will be playing for the Pens who were not last year. Maffy being just one, maybe Malkin, Maybe Crosby even. There are a few million right there. Maybe someone brighter than me can figure out the numbers, but it is no way only $3 million committed. And Le Clare is the last one that I would add. Getting really long in the tooth and a big salary.

$9 million
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?player=485

for 55 points
http://nhl.com/lineups/player/8448622.html

$1 million for ever six points scored, and bound to only be two years older and worse when hockey starts again. Again, No thank you, I would much rather use the money on several UFA's available. Some of the big market teams who did not plan well and are stuck with these large salaries and little return, do not count on us to bail you all out. You all had plenty of warning.

Last edited:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Not quite, I am sure that a number will be playing for the Pens who were not last year. Maffy being just one, maybe Malkin, Maybe Crosby even. There are a few million right there. Maybe someone brighter than me can figure out the numbers, but it is no way only $3 million committed. And Le Clare is the last on that I would add. Getting really long in the tooth and a big salary. Not thank you, I would much rather use the money on several UFA's available.

Typo, was supposed to read $19 million.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
John Flyers Fan said:
Typo, was supposed to read $19 million.

Point does not change. We would devote $9 million of that supposed $19 million (I still dispute that, with players like Maffy, etc, the total would be closer to $10 million to play with I would guess, but I freely admit to not knowing) on LeClare . . . why? To hope that he gets his 55 points again for our whopping 6 points per million production? We are postioned to have our pick of players, Le Clare would be at the very bottom of the barrel for us when it comes time to choose. I have no clue how much longer his contract runs, but for your sake I hope not too long or he is going to be about a quarter of your total salary hit.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
shnagle said:
How many players need to be signed for a full roster? I know 24 dress, but how many roster players count against the cap? Thanks, in advance.

A full roster usually consists of 12 forwards, 6 D, 2 goalies, and 3 healthy scratches (23 altogether). But say you're ravaged by injuries like the Kings last year, and have 40+ players suit up, things could get messy. Ie, what's the cap figure on somebody that's called up for 2 weeks, and gets sent down? Obviously it would have to be some prorated figure and not their theoretical annual salary.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Brodeur said:
A full roster usually consists of 12 forwards, 6 D, 2 goalies, and 3 healthy scratches (23 altogether). But say you're ravaged by injuries like the Kings last year, and have 40+ players suit up, things could get messy. Ie, what's the cap figure on somebody that's called up for 2 weeks, and gets sent down? Obviously it would have to be some prorated figure and not their theoretical annual salary.

I would not be so sure . . . if like the NFL, you lose a player for the year, they still count against your cap figure. That said, unlike the NFL, in the NHL you can call players up, send them down, and if you have a two way contract, different pay scales, I do not see why it would not lower the cap hit. But it would have to be a two way contract I would think. A one way where the guy would have to clear waivers, and did so, would count against you for the full cap hit I would think even if he were playing in the minors.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Here are the salary committments for 2005-06:

Anaheim: 26.9 mil (9 players)
Atlanta: 18.9 (12 players) - Kovalchuk, Heatley = RFAs
Boston: 3.8 (4 players) - Thornton = RFA
Buffalo: 12.0 (9 players)
Calgary: 16.9 (11 players) - no Iginla
Carolina: 15.6 (7 players)
Chicago: 13.5 (8 players)
Colorado: 30.0 (11 players) - Hejduk, Tanguay, Aebischer = RFAs
Columbus: 25.1 (14 players)
Dallas: 29.7 (8 players) - Zubov UFA, Arnott/Morrow = RFA
Detroit: 50.3 (16 players) - they have CuJo down for 8 mil, must be an option year
Edmonton: 17.1 (12 players)
Florida: 8.4 (7)
Los Angeles: 20.6 (12)
Minnesota: 18.2 (10)
Montreal: 19.1 (8)
Nashville: 13.7 (9)
New Jersey: 20.2 (10) - Niedermayer, Stevens, Rafalski = UFA. Elias, Gomez = RFA
NY Islanders: 20.5 (4)
NY Rangers: 28.6 (6) - includes Jagr's whole salary
Ottawa: 31.1 (10) - Hossa, Havlat, Spezza = RFA
Philadelphia: 44.4 (13)
Phoenix: 37.4 (21)
Pittsburgh: 7.2 (7)
San Jose: 17.8 (10)
St. Louis: 31.4 (13) - Pronger = RFA
Tampa Bay: 20.7 (9) - Lecavalier = RFA, Khabibulin = UFA
Toronto: 35.6 (8)
Vancouver: 15.5 (6) - Naslund = UFA. Morrison, Ohlund, Cloutier = RFA
Washington: 9.3 (4)