Team name and jersey ideas

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Added a poll with the four KUTV choices and an "other" option.

As for me, I'm warming up to the Yeti(s) choice. Part of that is because I've gathered it's the most popular option floating out there and while I didn't like it at first, I'm starting to become resigned to its inevitability. I trust the marketing team to make it at least not suck.

I'm also with rt, I really hope it's "Yetis" and not "Yeti" if that's what they go with, even though both are valid plural forms of the word.
I don't like Yetis. Sounds like a wildly overpriced bunch of beer coolers.

That said, it's almost surely going to go that way. :(

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I prefer Utah Sasquatch over Yeti, as it's at least geographically accurate...

Seattle had their chance to get it right, but went with the meme.

Utah Grizzlies (if they can somehow get it), Utah Stingers or Swarm, and Utah Wolves would probably be my favourites right now I suppose, but whatever they choose so long as the Utah fan base gets behind it, it will work out well.

Considering both are fictitious monsters, geographic accuracy not that important IMO.

Linguistically, "Utah Yetis" rolls off the tongue better

Reactions: Puckrobber

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If it's not the Grizzlies, then maybe I'll go with the Wolves. I also like the Ice Wolves concept from the first pages. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I always favor tradition over brand new. The Grizzlies sound like the best. For Seattle, the Metropolitans were boring and I understand that in this day and age they didn't want to use it, but it would have been great to bring the first American Stanley Cup winner back to life. Winnipeg, on the other hand, did the right thing in 2011.
I like grizzlies because of the history. But the funny thing is there are no grizzlies and no wolves in Utah.

The MLB Colorado Rockies are only one state over. The NHL team was also the Colorado Rockies.

I think they could have a different mountain-type name, but not specifically Rockies.

Utah Alpines
Utah Black Diamonds

rt

May 13, 2004
I like Outlaws but it’s more Wild West than it is Utah.
I don’t understand the thought behind Outlaws? It’s it just because it kinda rhymes with Utah?

I like the name. It sounds cool and has cool branding potential. But it’s an old timey name and I don’t think Smith wants an old timey name.

Do Utah Phoenix, cowards
I would love it.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
There can be legal issues. The Golden Knights for instance couldn't pursue the Black Knights or Knights because of pre-existing teams. One being a OHL team. Nobody wants to step over that line becuase things can get weird.
it's why VGK legally is Black Knight Sports.... the trademark also had to be cleared because it applied to the parachute team at US Military Academy @ West Point.

Something related to the unique natural elements of Utah maybe?

Utah Pinnacle
Utah Arches

Skiing related?

Utah Edge

Mystical creatures?

Utah Sasquatch
Utah Werewolves
Utah Lake Monsters
Tahoe just took that name for its ECHL Franchise

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If it's not the Grizzlies, then maybe I'll go with the Wolves. I also like the Ice Wolves concept from the first pages. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I always favor tradition over brand new. The Grizzlies sound like the best. For Seattle, the Metropolitans were boring and I understand that in this day and age they didn't want to use it, but it would have been great to bring the first American Stanley Cup winner back to life. Winnipeg, on the other hand, did the right thing in 2011.

likely won't be the Grizzlies since there's an existing franchise in WVC.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm sure it can be solved, but usually they don't want to do it because of the price.
unlikely, the team is relocating if they just welcomed the former Coyote franchise as an addition to the marketplace.... besides, it was already confirmed UT is playing in SLC, not WVC, where the Grizzlies play, where SEG'S Jazz G-League affiliate team plays as well...

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I like Outlaws but it’s more Wild West than it is Utah.

I mean Utah was in the Wild West. They had gunfights and rough and tumble mining towns and cowboys and wars with indigenous people, etc. just like all the surrounding states. Utah’s history isn’t just Jell-O and the Osmonds from 1848-present. Quite famously, Butch Cassidy and the Wild Bunch were periodically based in Utah.

Also, in any case, monument valley is partially in Utah, and that landscape is intimately etched into the minds of Americans as the literal setting of the Old West

More generic bison skull concepts that I think work best with Outlaws
IMG_6639.jpeg
IMG_6638.jpeg
IMG_6637.jpeg
IMG_6636.jpeg

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just avoid copying the name of a current big 4 plus MSL team name. Even Wolves as Minnesota is mostly shorted to Wolves in NBA, even on their home white jerseys.

So take out Eagles, Raptors, Grizzlies etc.

Still boggles my mind that the Carolina Panthers went with that name like 2 years after the FLA Panthers came out with theirs. The older ones I get in Jets, Rangers, Kings, Cardinals, Giants.

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I wouldn't even touch the Grizzlies name. Watching the Utah news, Grizzlies fans are passionate about their team. Stealing their name, I think, would alienate them from supporting the NHL team.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

rt

May 13, 2004
They aren’t going to care about minor league teams niche semi pro sports.

I wouldn't even touch the Grizzlies name. Watching the Utah news, Grizzlies fans are passionate about their team. Stealing their name, I think, would alienate them from supporting the NHL team.
I know you love your two dollar bill but if I replaced it with a stack of 100s, I don’t think you’d hate me forever.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016

I don't think so. They would have their Grizzlies in the NHL. I think that's what the hockey community in Utah prefers.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't think so. They would have their Grizzlies in the NHL. I think that's what the hockey community in Utah prefers.

except... SEG doesn't own the franchise, name or not.... Elmore is the one who owns that franchise and has since '06.... it's also why the team sold their AHL franchise to Cleveland....

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I mean Utah was in the Wild West. They had gunfights and rough and tumble mining towns and cowboys and wars with indigenous people, etc. just like all the surrounding states. Utah’s history isn’t just Jell-O and the Osmonds from 1848-present. Quite famously, Butch Cassidy and the Wild Bunch were periodically based in Utah.

Also, in any case, monument valley is partially in Utah, and that landscape is intimately etched into the minds of Americans as the literal setting of the Old West

More generic bison skull concepts that I think work best with Outlaws
View attachment 856698View attachment 856699View attachment 856700View attachment 856701
I like the top 2 logos .. very good

I would prefer colors if possible that are unique., .. the are close to Bos and Pitts

But those are great. Hard to get good AI generations sometimes

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I just think Smith is going to want the colors to match the Jazz which is why I keep putting those in prompts

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I don’t understand the thought behind Outlaws? It’s it just because it kinda rhymes with Utah?

I like the name. It sounds cool and has cool branding potential. But it’s an old timey name and I don’t think Smith wants an old timey name.

I would love it.
And what’s the thought process behind the Yeti?

rt

May 13, 2004
And what’s the thought process behind the Yeti?
None. It’s a dumb name. But it sounds good and goes with the winter sports and mountain them. Also as Smith himself said, it brings together “The U” and “The Y” which I think the people of Utah will love. Also kids love it and Smith seems very focused on building up youth sports. He talks about it in every interview.

Not that Eklund is revered around here, but, noticed he just mentioned that "Utah Outlaws" was just trademarked. Maybe a domain squatter? Maybe not?
They’ve done this for at least eight names at this point. I imagine they’ll keep doing it.

except... SEG doesn't own the franchise, name or not.... Elmore is the one who owns that franchise and has since '06.... it's also why the team sold their AHL franchise to Cleveland....
Smith can dig up some loose change between his couch cushions and change their name to the fart City clown shoes.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad