WC: Team Italy 2019

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
No, Tommaso Traversa from HC Pustertal is sitting on a plane landing in Vienna at 10 AM. If he will be registered or not, depends from the results of the medical check Morini will have this morning.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Damn. Was really hoping for better for my boys Andy and Marco. Wondering if Rosendahl not being the goaltending coach had an impact on Andys play. Not that it wouldve changed the result of the game.

Hexy

Jun 27, 2015
Caldaro
Miceli was a disgrace today, constantly turning the puck over and not moving his feet at all.
Can't wait to see the Italo-Canadiens gone, tired of this figure skating stuff. I'd rather see them play Division I with guys who actually care and give everything they have.

Reactions: Gianpaolo

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Giulio Scandella will be badly missed and the lack of scoring wings in the team will became deeper. An offensive center with creativity and capable to read the game would help a lot, but there isn't any. Marco Rosa is over the hill and will probably not be able to play consistently 7 games in only 9 days. Diego Kostner and Giovanni Morini had both a great season in the NLA and are expected to give a great contribution but meanly in terms of discipline and work ethic. The biggest question mark is about Beddoes: will he be able to manage a WC as head coach?

I realize he played in North America this year, but why is Scandella not playing for Italy this tournament?

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
There were rumors about Scandella joing some Italian team late in the season, just a few days before the playoffs start. That's why he played in the LNAH (afaik it's a little bit better than a hobby league), only for keeping himself in form.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I don't mean any disrespect by this, but I'm surprised Italy keeps earning promotion. I feel like Kazakhstan, Slovenia and even Hungary are doing better whenever they are up with the big boys. I'm just curious, are Italy able to dictate the games against those nations at the 1A level, or does Italy apply a counter attack tactic against them that helps them earn promotion?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
They blanked KAZ last year 3-0 (and outshot them 40-29). But they basically won promotion because they had an empty net goal vs. Slovenia 2 seconds before the end to win this game 4-3. Slovenia needed a win in regulation to win promotion. So without this EN they would have ended 4th or even 5th.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
They blanked KAZ last year 3-0 (and outshot them 40-29). But they basically won promotion because they had an empty net goal vs. Slovenia 2 seconds before the end to win this game 4-3. Slovenia needed a win in regulation to win promotion. So without this EN they would have ended 4th or even 5th.
As did Italy. They just waited for Slovenia to pull their goaltender first and it paid off.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I don't mean any disrespect by this, but I'm surprised Italy keeps earning promotion. I feel like Kazakhstan, Slovenia and even Hungary are doing better whenever they are up with the big boys. I'm just curious, are Italy able to dictate the games against those nations at the 1A level, or does Italy apply a counter attack tactic against them that helps them earn promotion?
Hungary has been doing bad lately since they earned promotion to top division.

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
Please look at the difference between the roster Italy had two years ago in Cologne and the roster of this years.

Following players partecipated both times (Cologne 2017 and Bratislava 2019)
G: Andreas Bernard, Gianluca Vallini
D: Armin Helfer, Armin Hofer, Stefano Marchetti, Luca Zanatta
F: Raphael Andergassen, Markus Gander, Marco Insam, Diego Kostner, Simon Kostner, Alex Lambacher, Giovanni Morini, Tommaso Traversa.

Following players partecipated 2017 but are not in the roster this years (injured, retired from hockey/national team in the meantime or simply not selected anymore by a different coaching staff):
G: Frederic Cloutier
D: Alexander Egger, Daniel Glira, Thomas Larkin, Enrico Miglioranzi
F: Anton Bernard, Daniel Frank, Luca Frigo, Tommaso Goi, Michele Marchetti, Giulio Scandella

Following players did not made the team 2017 (not selected, injured or not eligible yet) but are in the roster this years.
G: Marco de Filippo Roia
D: Sean McMonagle, Jan Pavlu, Ivan Tauferer, Alex Trivellato
F: Anthony Bardaro, Ivan De Luca, Peter Hochkofler, Angelo Miceli, Marco Rosa.

Italy at WC 2017:
Slovakia - Italy 3-2 OT (shots on goal 32-19)
Italy - Russia 1-10 (shots on goal 15-36)
Italy - Latvia 1-2 (shots on goal 21-24)
USA - Italy 3-0 (shots on goal 32-9)
Italy - Sweden 1-8 (shots on goal 15-45)
Germany - Italy 4-1 (shots on goal 37-18)
Danemark - Italy 2-0 (shots on goal 38-16)

So where comes the big difference between 2017 and 2019 from?

Hexy

Jun 27, 2015
Caldaro
So where comes the big difference between 2017 and 2019 from?

I'd say coaching.

In the first games against Switzerland they were running around like chickens. No system, no support.
It got a bit better during the last games, but they still lose D-zone coverage way too often and play with no self confidence.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I'd say coaching.

In the first games against Switzerland they were running around like chickens. No system, no support.
It got a bit better during the last games, but they still lose D-zone coverage way too often and play with no self confidence.
It's obviously hard to gain any confidence when you haven't even scored in 4 games.

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
Basically I agree, most of it is about coaching. Look at this video on Facebook . They are keeping on making the defensive mistake explained on the video every game they play.

Reactions: Marky1999

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
Interesting update about roster decisions: the coach believes that Giulio Scandella didn't play at high enough level this season (LNAH) and decided not to take him to Bratislava because he cannot be ready for a WC. In my opinion a player like Scandella with a normal fitness level is certainly still able to perform better than most of the forwards who are currently with team Italy.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Interesting update about roster decisions: the coach believes that Giulio Scandella didn't play at high enough level this season (LNAH) and decided not to take him to Bratislava because he cannot be ready for a WC. In my opinion a player like Scandella with a normal fitness level is certainly still able to perform better than most of the forwards who are currently with team Italy.
I'm not sure if there's a substantial difference between LNAH and the Alps league. The Alps league might be even worse in quality.

Hexy

Jun 27, 2015
Caldaro
I'm not sure if there's a substantial difference between LNAH and the Alps league. The Alps league might be even worse in quality.

That's what i was thinking too. The LNAH is full of former NHL/AHL/Top European League Players. While they may be slow by now, they certainly still know how to play.

In the Alps League you're looking at 80% amateur players. Only the import players and some older italian players are Pro's, who earn their money playing hockey.
Even on the national team there are players like Andergassen, who have regular day time jobs. And he's been one of the better players for Italy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad