Speculation: Team in 3-4 years

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
There are too many unforseeable changes that will happen over the next 3-4 years to predict what the team will look like that far down the road. Of current players (not including those controlled by restricted free agency) only Filppula, Thompson, Hedman, and Carle are under contract for the duration. I don't think we'll retain everything we currently think we'd want to. Nor do I think we'll just continuously slot in our prospects to fill all our holes moving forward.

Starting with Marty. He's under contract for two more years and 38 now. If the team does poorly next season (and there's a better chance it might than not) I think the window for trading him opens up at the trade deadline and stays open for as long as he remains. I think he retires or plays one more year for a contender after his current deal expires. I hope that extra last year is for a contending Lightning team, but, I have a sinking feeling it won't be.

Stamkos hits unrestricted free agency in 3 years. Yes, its too soon to start Stammergeddon back up, but, in the 3-4 years posited this will loom very large. I believe the cap space will be there to keep him and he'll be worth whatever he's paid. I could see circumstances pushing him toward wanting a fresh start elsewhere in a few years. I'll let this one go to my optimistic side for now and say we hypothetically extend him after the 14-15 season without issue.

I don't expect any of Purcell, Malone, Salo, Brewer, Crombeen, Pyatt, Tyrell, Taormina, or Lee to remain on the team beyond their current deals. Some may be traded, one may be bought out (amnesty), none will be extended. Aulie might be able to earn another contract, but, I'm not holding my breath.

Of the kids, Killorn and Gudas have shown they can contribute and are both likely here for the duration. Drouin and Vasilevski seem to be as sure as can be of being core pieces as soon as able. Everybody else is very much in flux over the next 4 years. They won't all make it and they won't all fail. They'll fight each other for the same spots and still have to out compete veteran free agents and/or trade acquisitions to earn their spots. If I'm gambling, I bet on Panik, Sustr, Namestnikov, and one of Kucherov or Connolly earning full time spots over the next 4 years. Others will get solid opportunities over that span but I wouldn't bet on their lasting success at this point.

Its tough predicting trades and free agency. I would love to bring back Downie and sign Hjalmarsson next offseason (both ufa). Two offseasons down the road I think we'll be looking for a 2nd/3rd line type center, a bottom 6 wing, and a bottom pairing defenseman. Might also need another goalie then if Vasi isn't ready and neither Lindback nor Bishop grasps lasting success. Then comes the 3rd offseason with its big Stammergeddon (ugh, too soon).

A final thought to consider when projecting 4 long years into the future, how the team performs over that time and how that alters things like incoming draft picks, coaches, general manager, current player values, etc. I won't be too surprised if we have another top 5 pick again over the next 3 years. I hope we're better than that, but still...I think another horrible season like that would bring deeper changes to the franchise than anyone can reasonably project.

Also your final thought I think you mean we could lose stevie? I think vinik is 100% behind stevie and think we could fail miserably for the next 3 years and stevie still holds his job. If we did let go think is at least half the nhl whom would fire or move their people to give stevie the job. He has done a great job so far imo vinik seems totally committed to him which I agree with. Not because stevie is stevie is what he has done and the mess we had and how he has changed that through making us overall deeper and better which some people do not get but I do.

I do not think we stay at the bottom at all. Bishop will be fine lindback is maybe a season or two until is fine but will be a good solid back up. Defense is going to be better I have no real fears of that but might need a couple of tweaks and I would like us to have further patience with the kids we have whom are in pros but not at tampa yet. We have a lot of solid prospects whom think will make team in next 2-3-4 years. We have a glaring issue on size in my opinion but muscle should be something we can fix through free agency if when needed. I have always hoped to fix the muscle with D men. Keep getting guys whom are skilled but fight for pucks etc.. ie a killorn or gudas.

I see us fighting for lower tier's next two seasons but third honestly with progressions I see us as being a very dangerous team with what we have currently in our system. Without making any moves or major moves.

Is a lot of people whom do not get how much stevie has done how bad his hands have been tied how bad this franchise was ran.

Honestly if we had kept OK for the last three years we would be in portland imo and lost this franchise. That was real to me. I tip hat off that stevie has done what he has done and not lost the whole show to make required moves by adding a piece here and there.

Maybe am only person whom feels this way but honestly I tip hat off on job he has done. I am kinda shocked is this fast and we are where we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad