Speculation: Team in 3-4 years

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Don't think I'm going to even bother picking through that wall of text diarrhea to point out the things that are wrong. Just not worth it.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Seriously... dude, you have to clean up your punctuation and grammar. It doesn't need to be Nabokovian (the author, not the goalie) prose, but ****, it has to be readable.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
Don't think I'm going to even bother picking through that wall of text diarrhea to point out the things that are wrong. Just not worth it.

Don't worry I got this :laugh:

I have followed the red wings for 35 years. Stevie was favorite player etc.. for his playing time. I think I know a little on what he does and why he does it based on his history as a player and office in detroit. I also think I know a little not enough yet but a little on how Cooper wants to set up his team.

I personally don't see how watching SFY for all that time affects how you view his GM performance? Let alone his work for the Red Wings off ice, as how would you have any idea which moves he strongly supported or was against? So unless you are having deep chats with him and Cooper I think all of us are just speculating. Its foolish to call it anything more.

Just because someone starts on 3rd or 4th line doesnt mean they dont move in time.

Don't disagree with you there, but surely for scorers its best to put them in an environment where they can succeed. I mean if the 3rd and 4th line is so good for developing scorers why was Connolly send down to the AHL last season, after his time on the 3rd/4th lines the season before?

Connolly will be up sometime this year. Namestnikov next I see them playing 3rd or 4th line. Connolly might just become true power forward WHICH WE HAVE NONE right now and no one else NEAR -3 - 4 years out is next guys hart and erne.

Connolly will very likely be up sometime this year yes. Namestnikov I don't see, apart from maybe a cup of coffee in the NHL/injuries. As I think we can agree at the minute our centre depth goes, Stamkos-Filppula-TJ-Thompson. So without injuries who do you see him displacing?

And I dont think Connolly is ever a true power forward, he doesn't have the build or mentality for it. And mentality is huge in physicality, Downie wasn't a big guy but he played like one. That's the difference. Connolly is a decent size, but he isn't a power forward. He's a dynamic scorer. That's his role. That's always been his role.

Very few teams have true power forwards, which is why Malone was such a coup when he signed with us via UFA.

You have to realize how the team works best. Palat Panik and Johnson have played together they are solid together etc.. I do not see cooper changing that line does he have them as 3rd or 4th line? I dont think that matters to be honest. They will probably stay together unless we go and change this team drastically which I do not see. That is not how detroit built up its teams.

No one has said change the PTP line, it worked in the AHL, give it a shot in the NHL. Its a potentially great 3rd line. But then you compare it to Detroit, how many times has Detroit rolled an all rookie line? Tampa is not Detroit.

Next everyone thinks drouin stamkos and marty are gonna play on same line? Really? I don't think there is any chance of this ZERO. Where is your great two way player or your defense guy or whom will play in front of net? NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Actually no one has said that, except potentially on the PP. And also great two way player....Marty St. Louis maybe?

So for now Killorn is first line but think he does get dropped down to second next season because putting two of the best scoring slap shot guys in hockey with either marty or drouin makes sense and Kucherov is gonna be that good at slap shooting on a Stamkos level. Kucherov will also wind up being a good two way guy.

This is where your argument really lacks consistency, you preach the Detroit model, yet you want a rookie to man the top line? Even Tampa has never done that. Lecavalier started on the 3rd line, Stamkos started on the 3rd line etc etc.

Valtteri purcell and drouin will be second line. With big responsibility on Valtteri for now and being weak in front of net so power play you bring up malone.

I don't see your problem with having a net presence on every line, its not always necessary, you play to your players' strengths, not to a set of tactics.

I figure malone is playing with thompson on fourth line this year and labrie etc.. except on power plays. Panik could work his way to that line but I do not think he has the skills. He is big enough not skilled enough.

Panik is ridiculously skilled, have you ever watched him? His hands, size, awareness, physicality, all unmatched, he can play any style of game he chooses. To call him not skilled enough is insane!

So next year you have Drouin panik killorn connolly palat johnson ONE OF these guys doesnt make roster without moving someone like Tyrell I think Barberio gets a call up on D so we need to move a second player.

Even with Tyrell moved I think one of them won't make the team. IMO Drouin and Killorn are locks, one of Palat, Johnson, Panik or Connolly won't make it. Agreed Barberio likely sees a lot of time, but I don't think that means a move is necessary. As Brewer, Aulie, Gudas, Hedman, Carle, Barberio, Taormina and Salo makes 8. I think Cooper will run with 8 d on the roster.

Next year have zero doubts namestnikov and kucherov make tampas team at start of year. Is all about the system. Is all about what will work best etc..

Everyone has connolly as trade bait etc.. I think is zero chance on that. I know you will say after this comment that he is not a true power forward does not play that physical. People train to do as told. If he wants to be a vital part of the future he will become that true power forward. Along with Korobov being more physical and Sustr learning to become more physical.

People train as they are told, true. But despite Vinny's size and im guessing training how often did you see him use it? All the time, or just a fraction? And again Sustr especially, although to some extent Korobov just don't have the mentality to be big hitters. It's not Sustr's game and its only a part of Korobov's. Size doesn't mean physicality, just watch Teddy, big guy at 6 foot 3, 200+lbs and yet MSL plays bigger.

We are weakest in depth or anything at the power forward slot. Guys whom will sit at net and take a beating. We have only a few with the size to do that. Connolly is one of those VITAL FEW whom have the size and the hockey IQ and the shooting ability to become a good or great power forward.

If our team is soo good that great players are on fourth lines doesnt mean they are busts means we are a top level organization and that is where this is heading. Do you give up on guys whom get you 40-60-80 points?

Sustr and Korobov have been told to become nasty. Connolly was down in ahl full season to develop better two way game get more physical and become better in front of net.

Namestnikov in four years becomes our 2nd line center but not this year or next year. Will be when we have people like richard hart erne Gusev coming up and actually might see the russian 3 on that line valtteri playing forward!!

Also Valtteri not physical? He is super at going into boards fighting for pucks on both ends etc..

As I said, its a mentality, I doubt Connolly ever becomes a power forward.

How do you know Sustr and Korobov have been told to become nasty? I'd argue Connolly went down to develop his pro level offense.

Flip is not physical.

I know most people know very little on our prospects cause they actually believe Sustr is ahead of Korobov etc..

I'd argue you know very little if you are expecting Sustr to become a bruiser.

So your logic is say we look at chicago as an example and brandon saad and brandon pirri play 3rd line this year and Jeremy Morin say he is on 4th line they are busts?

Pirri actually only played 1 regular season game, where he got nearly 18 minutes of ice time. Thats not 3rd line time.

Saad played in 46 games and averaged 16:27 a game, just 95 seconds a game less than Hossa. And was actually 5th in avg toi/g of Chicagos normal forward line up.

Morin played just 3 games averaging 13 minutes of ice time, which for Chicago is roughly 3rd line time.

So I think you are slightly misguided on other teams prospect development.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I apologize for times when my prose thought process and grammar is off.

I will try to do a better job.

I have a very severe rare heart disorder which can affect things like memory at times and thought process. I do the best I can. I will say can look at what wrote today and will not be able to decipher what is wrong. Tomorrow though will look and see where is wrong etc.. usually but not always.

So in saying that I am sorry if some thoughts are disjointed. This comes and goes and I do not realize when is happening. I will read the text in a couple days and see what is so terrible:) I get approximately 1/4th of the oxygen in blood flow of a normal healthy person.

I am not feeding anyone excuses just being up front about this and honest.

I do feel bad that I cause others head ache's or anything when my text is disjointed.

Honestly this probably happens all the time and just dont realize it till is brought up.

I love hockey love to talk to anyone about hockey and really care about tampa and detroit teams in all sports etc.. I appreciate when people share their wisdom with me and consider myself blessed to be able to share a passion like this with others.

Again I am sorry for when I get mental gaps in the thought process which makes things uncomfortable for others to read. The weirdest part is I just looked it over and see some of what you guys are saying yet right now cant decipher it.

I go from perfect or good english and thought process and writing to something which I dont even know what to call it:)

So I am sorry and will do best I can and hope to do a better job in future.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Connolly is not a power forward nor does he project as one. He's got decent size but he's a finesse over power type player. He's got more potential than any player we have besides Drouin but he also has high bust potential like Kucherov because of their style of game. Hopefully none of our players truly bust but that's wishful thinking.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Don't worry I got this :laugh:

I personally don't see how watching SFY for all that time affects how you view his GM performance? Let alone his work for the Red Wings off ice, as how would you have any idea which moves he strongly supported or was against? So unless you are having deep chats with him and Cooper I think all of us are just speculating. Its foolish to call it anything more.

Ok is foolish he is using what he learned in detroit on how to build a championship team. How they drafted etc.. is honestly what I saw 30 years ago when he came up in the 80's till they became great in 90's. That is my opinion yes.

Don't disagree with you there, but surely for scorers its best to put them in an environment where they can succeed. I mean if the 3rd and 4th line is so good for developing scorers why was Connolly send down to the AHL last season, after his time on the 3rd/4th lines the season before?

I really think they put connolly down to work on two way game and get him more time to play in front of net.

Connolly will very likely be up sometime this year yes. Namestnikov I don't see, apart from maybe a cup of coffee in the NHL/injuries. As I think we can agree at the minute our centre depth goes, Stamkos-Filppula-TJ-Thompson. So without injuries who do you see him displacing?

Namestnikov I said next meaning next year not this year. He needs a lot of work. I would also like connolly down for a full year cause of his production fall off in playoffs.
Most people I talk to or on these boards think connolly will be traded I have a different view.

And I dont think Connolly is ever a true power forward, he doesn't have the build or mentality for it. And mentality is huge in physicality, Downie wasn't a big guy but he played like one. That's the difference. Connolly is a decent size, but he isn't a power forward. He's a dynamic scorer. That's his role. That's always been his role.

I hope he does have the mentality for it because its something we need and our options are slim in this department. I hope your wrong:) I think his weakness is two way play and he should get stronger in front of net.

Very few teams have true power forwards, which is why Malone was such a coup when he signed with us via UFA.

I agree is why we have so few options.

No one has said change the PTP line, it worked in the AHL, give it a shot in the NHL. Its a potentially great 3rd line. But then you compare it to Detroit, how many times has Detroit rolled an all rookie line? Tampa is not Detroit.

Detroit has never brought up guys before 23 years old I believe in like 15 years they are better at this point than we are. We need to bring up a ton of people unless something changes? Or we will not compete and we can compete.

Actually no one has said that, except potentially on the PP. And also great two way player....Marty St. Louis maybe?

This is where your argument really lacks consistency, you preach the Detroit model, yet you want a rookie to man the top line? Even Tampa has never done that. Lecavalier started on the 3rd line, Stamkos started on the 3rd line etc etc.

Killorn played 38 games he is not a rookie and is ready for top line.

I don't see your problem with having a net presence on every line, its not always necessary, you play to your players' strengths, not to a set of tactics.

Cooper likes a great two way guy or a net guy on his lines. He has stated this.

Panik is ridiculously skilled, have you ever watched him? His hands, size, awareness, physicality, all unmatched, he can play any style of game he chooses. To call him not skilled enough is insane!

Ok lets call him young. Others rate him above what I rate him. To me he has a lot to prove. He played 25 games for 9 points and killorn played 38 for 19. Killorn to me proved himself I expect more from panik. I know some people who rate his ceiling higher than kucherov's. I don't agree but have been known to be wrong.

Even with Tyrell moved I think one of them won't make the team. IMO Drouin and Killorn are locks, one of Palat, Johnson, Panik or Connolly won't make it. Agreed Barberio likely sees a lot of time, but I don't think that means a move is necessary. As Brewer, Aulie, Gudas, Hedman, Carle, Barberio, Taormina and Salo makes 8. I think Cooper will run with 8 d on the roster.

You think Taromina makes it too with Barberio? He is smallish d man and brings nothing to table that Barberio doesnt bring in my opinion. You are also first person I have seen said Cooper will run 8 d is interesting like the input. Just if can let me know what Taormina brings to table maybe I have been unfair to him?

People train as they are told, true. But despite Vinny's size and im guessing training how often did you see him use it? All the time, or just a fraction? And again Sustr especially, although to some extent Korobov just don't have the mentality to be big hitters. It's not Sustr's game and its only a part of Korobov's. Size doesn't mean physicality, just watch Teddy, big guy at 6 foot 3, 200+lbs and yet MSL plays bigger.

I dont ask for big hitters. Think we might have one big hitter in our whole system in erne. Gudas already being up that is. Marty as you said plays physical for his size goes battles wins board battles etc.. I would like Korobov and Sustr to develop into mean players consistently and agree Sustr seems lacking on that at this point.

As I said, its a mentality, I doubt Connolly ever becomes a power forward.

Hope your wrong.

How do you know Sustr and Korobov have been told to become nasty? I'd argue Connolly went down to develop his pro level offense.

Was definitely from twitter post from someone whom is affiliated with the team. I didnt just pull it out of a hat if that is your questioning. A lot of people were saying Sustr is ready for call up. They expected Korobov called up first if injuries etc.. caused extra call ups. Than stated that Korobov Sustr would play different lines and the front office wanted them to work on their physical play both of them. Sustr has the higher ceiling.

Flip is not physical.

Is plenty whom will say that but guy is always going behind nets and side boards and fighting for pucks. To me that is physical so you win the point? I dont need guys head taken off I need guys whom work on both ends and go into the dirty areas to consider them physical and will say we have guys whom do not do this without naming names.

I'd argue you know very little if you are expecting Sustr to become a bruiser.

Just know what read on twitter and they would like him to become grittier and develop a meanness

Pirri actually only played 1 regular season game, where he got nearly 18 minutes of ice time. Thats not 3rd line time.

Saad played in 46 games and averaged 16:27 a game, just 95 seconds a game less than Hossa. And was actually 5th in avg toi/g of Chicagos normal forward line up.

Morin played just 3 games averaging 13 minutes of ice time, which for Chicago is roughly 3rd line time.

I am talking the lines that are on chicagos main page that looked up today for projections of next season. So saad and pirri whom was awesome last year in ahl are projected 3rd lines and morin is 4th.

I understand this cuts down on minutes yet chicago has always mixed up lines if something isnt working. Tampa will do same.

So I think you are slightly misguided on other teams prospect development.

I wrote all of what I wrote based on someone saying putting connolly and namestnikov on fourth line in 2014-2015 makes them busts. No it would not and it might actually happen based on other players. I have kucherov also making that team. He will knock killorn off first line might not happen from day one but you watch by end of year.

Truly great players are rare the marty's stamkos crosby's of the world but we have kucherov and drouin whom I think are gonna be that caliber within 3 seasons. I do not think connolly or namestnikov will ever be that caliber but do put them at the next level. Which is above the palat johnson panik and killorn level.

Yet when you look at these guys you kinda get the feeling most are gonna be good solid long term players if not great. I do not see any being a bust.

Obviously the biggest misconception is my view of a physical player compared to the other persons view or to most other peoples view maybe? To me a guy whom will get in front of net behind net and fight on boards is plenty physical. He doesnt need to run over everyone on the ice and is very few players whom do.

I would not have considered lidstrom to be a physical player yet do consider fippula maybe my view is wrong. Yet watching detroit for last few years countless times he was behind the net fighting for the puck. Datsyuk and marty are more stick handlers but would consider them physical for size etc.. Lidstrom just made very few bad moves. He didnt need to play physical cause just out moved and out thought his opponents.

Cooper expects his centers and forwards to play like marty and datsyuk and think we will see that. Lidstrom I guess would hit boards and move puck so fast lol he didnt have to fight on boards to me?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Connolly is not a power forward nor does he project as one. He's got decent size but he's a finesse over power type player. He's got more potential than any player we have besides Drouin but he also has high bust potential like Kucherov because of their style of game. Hopefully none of our players truly bust but that's wishful thinking.

Well I think Kucherov has zero bust potential the bigger the moment the bigger he plays he proves that every time he is on the ice so far. Those types dont bust they become the Kanes of the world.

Connolly to reach the potential we need will have to get in front of net. Killorn does it Hart is being brought along same way they had same guys working with Connolly maybe is why stats dropped in playoffs? I think he does develop that part of his game but I am a glass half full guy:)

I look at our prospect rankings and see seergeev as maybe second best we have coming behind KoekKoek on D and honestly think I am probably only guy whom thinks that :)

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Also a statement in regards to watching stevie etc.. have quite a few friends have pretty much everyones twitter scouts team members etc... I go on a bunch of things daily to check out news what is said etc..

I dont claim to know everything or be right. I predict I will be right on a few things but a lot could or will change. This is my view doesnt mean is right means is what I have gathered from all the sources I have available.

I do feel have a good view on how stevie thinks and why he has done a lot of what he has done based on what he witnessed and lived played through in growing detroit.

Why I brought up certain things and dont believe connolly is the option we would use as trade etc..

Yet I thought was ZERO chance Malone would still be with team to start camp and now think I am absolutely wrong in that:)

This board is a lot more knowledgeable than the other sites of fans I go to. So I do not claim to know anything special is just my views:)

No offense is ever intended my views are mine and have been wrong as said:)

Is just fun to share ideas and thoughts on your passions.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Going in front of the net, scoring garbage goals and fighting for the puck around the net doesn't necessarily make a player a power forward. Would you call Downie a PF? Killorn? Heck, even Stamkos?

A power forward is "the complete player", big, fast, hard to knock off the puck with soft hands and great vision, who possesses way above average offensive abilities as well as a mean streak, hitting and possibly even fighting people on a regular basis. Players who rank high in both goal and point scoring as well as in hits and penalty minutes. Think prime versions of Cam Neely, Rick Tocchet, Brendan Shanahan, Eric Lindros, Kevin Stevens, etc.

I have never heard of somebody comparing Connolly to today's power forwards like Iginla, Getzlaf, Perry or even guys like Lucic, Malone or Hartnell. IMO Connolly is a finesse goal scorer, comparable to maybe Thomas Vanek (if everything works out for him).

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well I think Kucherov has zero bust potential the bigger the moment the bigger he plays he proves that every time he is on the ice so far. Those types dont bust they become the Kanes of the world.

Connolly to reach the potential we need will have to get in front of net. Killorn does it Hart is being brought along same way they had same guys working with Connolly maybe is why stats dropped in playoffs? I think he does develop that part of his game but I am a glass half full guy:)

I look at our prospect rankings and see seergeev as maybe second best we have coming behind KoekKoek on D and honestly think I am probably only guy whom thinks that :)

You lost all credibility when you said Kucherov has zero chance of busting. Ever player has a chance to bust there are no guarantees. He is immensely talented but we need to see that translate against men, lots of players lit up juniors but struggled in the pros.

Killorn isn't really a stand in front of the net player, he goes to the traffic area and the corners but that doesn't make him a power forward. I know Hart has good size but I haven't seen him play to judge. We also have no control over his development that's all him and his college coaches.

I would like to see Sergeev in the A before I go that far but you could be right. IMO it's Blujus, with his size and skating he can be a stud if he picks up his decision making and defense.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Going in front of the net, scoring garbage goals and fighting for the puck around the net doesn't necessarily make a player a power forward. Would you call Downie a PF? Killorn? Heck, even Stamkos?

A power forward is "the complete player", big, fast, hard to knock off the puck with soft hands and great vision, who possesses way above average offensive abilities as well as a mean streak, hitting and possibly even fighting people on a regular basis. Players who rank high in both goal and point scoring as well as in hits and penalty minutes. Think prime versions of Cam Neely, Rick Tocchet, Brendan Shanahan, Eric Lindros, Kevin Stevens, etc.

I have never heard of somebody comparing Connolly to today's power forwards like Iginla, Getzlaf, Perry or even guys like Lucic, Malone or Hartnell. IMO Connolly is a finesse goal scorer, comparable to maybe Thomas Vanek (if everything works out for him).

I consider downey a very good physical power forward he doesnt have skill level of those you name. Yet is what 10 great ones at any time. I dont think connolly can achieve even downeys aggressiveness etc.. So yes I get your point and no he is not even close to any of those guys and doubt becomes a thomas vanek either just he does have body to get better in front of net. Hasnt proven to be able to do that though and hope he does.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
You lost all credibility when you said Kucherov has zero chance of busting. Ever player has a chance to bust there are no guarantees. He is immensely talented but we need to see that translate against men, lots of players lit up juniors but struggled in the pros.

Killorn isn't really a stand in front of the net player, he goes to the traffic area and the corners but that doesn't make him a power forward. I know Hart has good size but I haven't seen him play to judge. We also have no control over his development that's all him and his college coaches.

I would like to see Sergeev in the A before I go that far but you could be right. IMO it's Blujus, with his size and skating he can be a stud if he picks up his decision making and defense.

Kucherov played in tournaments and against men overseas and did just fine. He actually has many huge moments just like this year in final day of 3 on 3's his shots were game winners of all three games. One a 7th round shootout win but one was against vasi and only goal of game. He has done the same thing a couple of times on world stage wjc etc.. I think he is elite and gonna be patrick kane type big game big point big time player. He has been the guy over and over when pressure is on in big moment or game time. So no dont think he can bust his slap shot is too good he works hard at everything. YES anyone can bust just think he will not think is zero chance.

No Killorn is highly skilled not big enough to be power forward in my opinion but will get busy in those areas why think he makes it to top line this year. He has proven he will do what it takes. Others have him more highly ranked than me. I think he is adequate good player yet doubt reaches what I would consider great 80 point man etc.. kucherov think does reach that type of thing and connolly can. Yet is a lot of people whom put killorn over both of them. I am just going by how I see it.

No seergeev needs a ton of work I love his play and size and grittiness is all. I ALWAYS forget about Blujus I have no idea why. I agree he might have bigger upside. I havent seen enough of Blujus but have a few friends whom have and they do always put him as gudas 2.0 etc.. So the ceiling is there. I think Seergeev might be sleeper and could wind up better than KoekKoek Korobov Sustr Witkowski etc.. yet time will tell. I really like seergeevs size grittiness and scoring abilities.

Nesterov is also in mix and 9 out of 10 people I know say him and blujus will be best but to me nesterov needs more size and am not sure will fill out?

I am very high on seergeev yet he could be a bust or 7-8 defender. I see potential to be great but has a huge amount of time work to develop into what I see is his ceiling is others whom have higher ceilings to most people KoekKoek Blujus and Nesterov.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
No Killorn is highly skilled not big enough to be power forward in my opinion but will get busy in those areas why think he makes it to top line this year. He has proven he will do what it takes. Others have him more highly ranked than me. I think he is adequate good player yet doubt reaches what I would consider great 80 point man etc.. kucherov think does reach that type of thing and connolly can. Yet is a lot of people whom put killorn over both of them. I am just going by how I see it.
Just for the record: Killorn is 6'2 and 205 lbs, Connolly is 6'2 and 181 lbs (as per NHL.com). You keep saying Connolly has the size while Killorn is "not big enough". :huh:

And again, both are nowhere near the definition of a power forward. Killorn might be feisty and a puck battler but he's not a body bruising agitator with a mean streak. He's an high energy player, great along the boards with well above average hockey IQ. With his style of play he fits on a energy or checking line just as well as a top line creating space and time for his line mates. He's also not afraid to get the puck on net which is a huge plus IMO. That's why he's so valuable to this team and the reason why many of us are ranking him above Connolly right now.

At this point in time I would still consider Connolly a high risk high reward prospect. He will either crack a NHL team's top-6 in the next couple of years or he won't be in the NHL at all. Again, he's got all the talent and skill. It's gonna be interesting to see if he's able to put it all together.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Just for the record: Killorn is 6'2 and 205 lbs, Connolly is 6'2 and 181 lbs (as per NHL.com). You keep saying Connolly has the size while Killorn is "not big enough". :huh:

And again, both are nowhere near the definition of a power forward. Killorn might be feisty and a puck battler but he's not a body bruising agitator with a mean streak. He's an high energy player, great along the boards with well above average hockey IQ. With his style of play he fits on a energy or checking line just as well as a top line creating space and time for his line mates. He's also not afraid to get the puck on net which is a huge plus IMO. That's why he's so valuable to this team and the reason why many of us are ranking him above Connolly right now.

At this point in time I would still consider Connolly a high risk high reward prospect. He will either crack a NHL team's top-6 in the next couple of years or he won't be in the NHL at all. Again, he's got all the talent and skill. It's gonna be interesting to see if he's able to put it all together.

I have connolly's weight up to 213 now. If this is incorrect which I thought he was smaller too than I apologize. Is why I thought he was sent down to work on getting in front of net etc.. cause of the weight gain and size he had added.

Also as said I think connolly should take one more full year in AHL because he has to have felt badly on his scoring drop in playoffs and he is young enough with enough potential to work through that and become more confident etc.. Just my opinion on him think the playoff downfall had to hurt his confidence at least a little would hurt me if was him. A drop off from close to a point a game to .3 a game is not a great thing. And yes not trying to nit pick the exact numbers are 7 points i had thought in 18 games which is not a .3 is a little higher but he was really close to 1 point a game during regular season and fell just below it. I would let him work up to a point a game and bring him up and think since would be older more experienced etc.. he could do a point a game and get confidence to its high etc..

I love Killorn think he nets 45 at least this year. Which to me even though wont be considered a rookie is awesome and with luck since as you said isnt afraid to shoot at net maybe he gets more:))

Espn hockey db and syracuse has connolly at 200 and wikipedia at 213 so is all over the charts on him but I thought since went from 162 to 180 in one year he actually gained more weight again. Tampa has him at 180 just checked so probably that is what he is now.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It's definitely possible that Connolly has added more weight and muscle since the beginning of the 2012-13 season. My point still stands though as Connolly at 6'2 and 200+ lbs is still not bigger than Killorn. ;)

And I agree with you, another year in the AHL would help him find/improve his confidence and allow him to further develop and solidify his game as a top-6 scorer and go-to guy of his team. It's off-topic but I really don't see him making the Lightning roster for opening night this season. Killorn, Panik and Palat are much more versatile than him. And Drouin is arguably ahead of him as well.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
45 goals at least for Killorn?????? That's absolutely ridiculous, I like your enthusiasm towards our prospects but your expectations are beyond bad. Some of your comparisons are way off and you expect us to ice the entire eastern conference all star team. You say you have followed hockey long enough, you should know that not every player will become as expected and lots will just be mediocre NHL/AHL players.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
45 goals at least for Killorn?????? That's absolutely ridiculous, I like your enthusiasm towards our prospects but your expectations are beyond bad. Some of your comparisons are way off and you expect us to ice the entire eastern conference all star team. You say you have followed hockey long enough, you should know that not every player will become as expected and lots will just be mediocre NHL/AHL players.

I think he meant 45 points not goals. :laugh:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I definitely meant 45 points I am sorry.

Killorn for a lot of people has a super high ceiling I never see him being over 60 but as said I have been wrong. I am projecting certain guys 1-2 to be blockbusters and many to be stable Killorn is a stable guy. I did projections on my ceilings what I expect for each player think Killorn was 60 when I did that to be honest. He had 19 points in 38 games that is a 40 point season to me is why I say he is ready and proven over everyone we have even gudas. He is ready for the game he played two ways he was gritty and did everything I really like him but still have in order drouin kucherov namestnikov connolly ahead of him. I have him slightly above johnson and palat.

I never claimed to know everything or if I did was not my intention. I think I have said at least 2 times moderator is smartest guy I have found on any board site for tampa hockey. I always appreciate his input because he has a solid vast knowledge.

I am just sharing my passion for this team and the sport of hockey so those whom seem to be becoming upset over that I apologize. Is not my intention.

We can agree to disagree.

I think connolly's ceiling point wise can be higher than namestnikov but overall better player? I question that. I will not consider connolly a bust if he comes in next year or year after and scores 30-40 points. Others probably would. I just would feel bad he didnt hit his projection or ceiling but 40 points would make him a good player.

I put bryan little on here a few days ago center he just received a 5 year contract extension I believe at 4.7 million. He averages 45-50 points a year.

If any of our prospects puts up his or even lower numbers will be ok with them.

I only have Drouin Vasi and Kucherov as Elite players and maybe am wrong.

The others above I expect are second tier 45-60 point guys to third tier players at 60-80 points. I only see connolly and kucherov hitting that high point but could be wrong.

I do believe firmly believe we are going to put something on the ice in 3 years to write home about which will compete with detroit chicago and the other teams whom stay out of cap hell and are top TIER teams meaning stanley cup staples.

I could be wrong? Maybe everyone washes out? Maybe they all suck and cant score or skate or do nothing right? Maybe stevie is not as good of a GM as I think he is?

We will see in time. I make my 3-4 year projection I feel confident I will have a little bit of it right. We are all guessing my last name lol ego there makes me think I am good guesser just joshing you fellas lol.

I HAVE A GREAT WONDERFUL TIME DISCUSSING THIS STUFF. I have a great time honestly hearing from everyone in regards to all of these posts. I love the knowledge and perception and your views.

I just have mine? Good or bad can take criticism can take when you dont agree and listen and a lot of time explain my thoughts and sometimes have even said agree with others and just came off incorrectly.

No harm is meant here I have fun talking to you all and looking forward to seeing it play out:)

And yes in 3 YEARS I expect us to have an ALL STAR team and guys playing 4th line that would be second line on most teams.

That is what happens when you have marty and stamkos and drouin and kucherov and connolly and namestnikov to name some.

Is gonna look like chicago I think. That is pretty cool in my book. I havent had season tickets were not mine but a friend since stanley cup year. Money and health willing I look forward to 3-4 years from now and making that happen its on my to do list.

I expect us to compete for stanley cups but I have watched stevie too long to think he can fail. Therefore his players wont either. Is just how I feel we are destined to become great and I see some pieces falling into place.

But again maybe I am wrong. If I am that will suck and will apologize yet think we are at the beginning of something great and epic like saw happen in edmonton and detroit soooooo long ago.

I am excited and maybe too much. Yet wouldnt have it any other way:)

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I have observed there is no relationship between quality of posts and length, so I will keep it short and hope some do not think me a fool. The X can be filled internally, trade, or draft. In four years I do not see Teddy, or Textbook here.
Drouin-Stamkos-Connolly
X-Flip-Kucherov
Panik-Namestnikov-Palat
X-X-X

Hedman-Koekkoek
Carle-Sustr
Gudas-Aulie or X
X X

Vasilevskiy - Lindback

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I have observed there is no relationship between quality of posts and length, so I will keep it short and hope some do not think me a fool. The X can be filled internally, trade, or draft. In four years I do not see Teddy, or Textbook here.
Drouin-Stamkos-Connolly
X-Flip-Kucherov
Panik-Namestnikov-Palat
X-X-X

Hedman-Koekkoek
Carle-Sustr
Gudas-Aulie or X
X X

Vasilevskiy - Lindback

Text book is new term for me? Do you mean marty? I figure hes here in 3-4 years unless something slows him down. I dont see us resigning teddy. If stayed at 60 for 3 more years he would be outside of the budget I would assume. If falters figure give some kid his spot cheaper. I like the guys you name.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Text book is new term for me? Do you mean marty? I figure hes here in 3-4 years unless something slows him down. I dont see us resigning teddy. If stayed at 60 for 3 more years he would be outside of the budget I would assume. If falters figure give some kid his spot cheaper. I like the guys you name.

Textbook is Nate Thompson.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
There are too many unforseeable changes that will happen over the next 3-4 years to predict what the team will look like that far down the road. Of current players (not including those controlled by restricted free agency) only Filppula, Thompson, Hedman, and Carle are under contract for the duration. I don't think we'll retain everything we currently think we'd want to. Nor do I think we'll just continuously slot in our prospects to fill all our holes moving forward.

Starting with Marty. He's under contract for two more years and 38 now. If the team does poorly next season (and there's a better chance it might than not) I think the window for trading him opens up at the trade deadline and stays open for as long as he remains. I think he retires or plays one more year for a contender after his current deal expires. I hope that extra last year is for a contending Lightning team, but, I have a sinking feeling it won't be.

Stamkos hits unrestricted free agency in 3 years. Yes, its too soon to start Stammergeddon back up, but, in the 3-4 years posited this will loom very large. I believe the cap space will be there to keep him and he'll be worth whatever he's paid. I could see circumstances pushing him toward wanting a fresh start elsewhere in a few years. I'll let this one go to my optimistic side for now and say we hypothetically extend him after the 14-15 season without issue.

I don't expect any of Purcell, Malone, Salo, Brewer, Crombeen, Pyatt, Tyrell, Taormina, or Lee to remain on the team beyond their current deals. Some may be traded, one may be bought out (amnesty), none will be extended. Aulie might be able to earn another contract, but, I'm not holding my breath.

Of the kids, Killorn and Gudas have shown they can contribute and are both likely here for the duration. Drouin and Vasilevski seem to be as sure as can be of being core pieces as soon as able. Everybody else is very much in flux over the next 4 years. They won't all make it and they won't all fail. They'll fight each other for the same spots and still have to out compete veteran free agents and/or trade acquisitions to earn their spots. If I'm gambling, I bet on Panik, Sustr, Namestnikov, and one of Kucherov or Connolly earning full time spots over the next 4 years. Others will get solid opportunities over that span but I wouldn't bet on their lasting success at this point.

Its tough predicting trades and free agency. I would love to bring back Downie and sign Hjalmarsson next offseason (both ufa). Two offseasons down the road I think we'll be looking for a 2nd/3rd line type center, a bottom 6 wing, and a bottom pairing defenseman. Might also need another goalie then if Vasi isn't ready and neither Lindback nor Bishop grasps lasting success. Then comes the 3rd offseason with its big Stammergeddon (ugh, too soon).

A final thought to consider when projecting 4 long years into the future, how the team performs over that time and how that alters things like incoming draft picks, coaches, general manager, current player values, etc. I won't be too surprised if we have another top 5 pick again over the next 3 years. I hope we're better than that, but still...I think another horrible season like that would bring deeper changes to the franchise than anyone can reasonably project.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
There are too many unforseeable changes that will happen over the next 3-4 years to predict what the team will look like that far down the road. Of current players (not including those controlled by restricted free agency) only Filppula, Thompson, Hedman, and Carle are under contract for the duration. I don't think we'll retain everything we currently think we'd want to. Nor do I think we'll just continuously slot in our prospects to fill all our holes moving forward.

Starting with Marty. He's under contract for two more years and 38 now. If the team does poorly next season (and there's a better chance it might than not) I think the window for trading him opens up at the trade deadline and stays open for as long as he remains. I think he retires or plays one more year for a contender after his current deal expires. I hope that extra last year is for a contending Lightning team, but, I have a sinking feeling it won't be.

Stamkos hits unrestricted free agency in 3 years. Yes, its too soon to start Stammergeddon back up, but, in the 3-4 years posited this will loom very large. I believe the cap space will be there to keep him and he'll be worth whatever he's paid. I could see circumstances pushing him toward wanting a fresh start elsewhere in a few years. I'll let this one go to my optimistic side for now and say we hypothetically extend him after the 14-15 season without issue.

I don't expect any of Purcell, Malone, Salo, Brewer, Crombeen, Pyatt, Tyrell, Taormina, or Lee to remain on the team beyond their current deals. Some may be traded, one may be bought out (amnesty), none will be extended. Aulie might be able to earn another contract, but, I'm not holding my breath.

Of the kids, Killorn and Gudas have shown they can contribute and are both likely here for the duration. Drouin and Vasilevski seem to be as sure as can be of being core pieces as soon as able. Everybody else is very much in flux over the next 4 years. They won't all make it and they won't all fail. They'll fight each other for the same spots and still have to out compete veteran free agents and/or trade acquisitions to earn their spots. If I'm gambling, I bet on Panik, Sustr, Namestnikov, and one of Kucherov or Connolly earning full time spots over the next 4 years. Others will get solid opportunities over that span but I wouldn't bet on their lasting success at this point.

Its tough predicting trades and free agency. I would love to bring back Downie and sign Hjalmarsson next offseason (both ufa). Two offseasons down the road I think we'll be looking for a 2nd/3rd line type center, a bottom 6 wing, and a bottom pairing defenseman. Might also need another goalie then if Vasi isn't ready and neither Lindback nor Bishop grasps lasting success. Then comes the 3rd offseason with its big Stammergeddon (ugh, too soon).

A final thought to consider when projecting 4 long years into the future, how the team performs over that time and how that alters things like incoming draft picks, coaches, general manager, current player values, etc. I won't be too surprised if we have another top 5 pick again over the next 3 years. I hope we're better than that, but still...I think another horrible season like that would bring deeper changes to the franchise than anyone can reasonably project.

I really do not think stamkos goes anywhere and honestly think stevie is smart enough to have worked out with stamkos the next contract and the contract after that etc.. at a value. This is one thing I HAVE ZERO trepedation or fear on cant spell the word lol.

I think stevie talked to stamkos at last contract. He didnt have any fears along with marty of being able to work something out based on keeping them until they retire that is both of them. I honestly believe marty signs another 2-3 year deal and stamkos is down for another 5-6 year deal after they become free agents at about the same amount of money etc.. not the max cause they are willing to give a little to get to where they want to get STANLEY CUP champions and are very happy to be part of the lightning.

I am just saying this and have no knowledge of what happened in the last talks but stevie is not some person whom doesnt dot his t's and cross his eyes hehe and yes know what I did there lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad