Team Identity

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think we are sleeping on Norris. I get they everybody was pretty happy with his season but he basically ended tied for the team in scoring despite being shuttled off PP1 etc until late in the season.

He was very consistent for a rookie and has a little more 1C potential than I think he gets credit for.

Consider his physical game as a rookie vs players known to be physical like Formenton. In the end I think we have a gem.

Reactions: Frank8 and aragorn

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
L.A also had a #1 centre who was elite defensively and could put up ppg numbers plus Jeff Carter on the second line, an elite defensive score and goalie. If that’s what Dorion can deliver, I’m all for it.

Now that I think of it, Norris does really remind me of Carter. Who will be the Sens’ Kopitar? (tank for Wright)

LA didn't have anyone like Jimmy Stu on their teams.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think we are sleeping on Norris. I get they everybody was pretty happy with his season but he basically ended tied for the team in scoring despite being shuttled off PP1 etc until late in the season.

He was very consistent for a rookie and has a little more 1C potential than I think he gets credit for.

Consider his physical game as a rookie vs players known to be physical like Formenton. In the end I think we have a gem.
I thought norris was alright. I seem to remember a lot of his goals were very….fortunate. Bouncing things off skates. Weak shots that the goalie would miss. The creativity is a little low. I like
Him. I question the upside. But he’s still a big piece moving forward.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
LA didn't have anyone like Jimmy Stu on their teams.

Gaborik?

Now that I'm saying that, I find that Gaborik is a very good comparable for Stutzle. Let's hope he has the same career minus the injury bug

I think we are missing some key pieces to compare to either of those teams. Hopefully we can fill those last few spots either by guys exceeding expectations or externally

It's true but emphasis on we don't really know what we're missing yet because it's still very early for most players in the organization. Maybe Sokolov is the next Mark Stone, who knows?

Last edited:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
We need three all star elite forwards and nothing else. The only success we had with Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson. And every winning team since Montreal days had that. If Melnyk thinks he can win the Cup with character plugs, good luck. LOL))) Never ever happened. I am sure Stutzle wants no part already of this insanity of a bad drafting and bad trading.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

DJ was asked if Norris is going to be a number one centre and he said he could be a 1B centre, which IMO is correct. He’s going to be able to fill in on that top line if needed and won’t look out of place, but on a contending team you’re significantly stronger if he’s on your second line.

Interestingly I think it was David Poulin who said he spoke to a college scout whose opinion he trusts and asked if Ottawa has their 1 and 2Cs in Norris and Pinto, and the college scout said yes but maybe not in that order. I think there’s still lots of upside between the two of them. For now though, I still think we need a truly elite player in that slot to give us the best shot at winning.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We need three all star elite forwards and nothing else. The only success we had with Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson. And every winning team since Montreal days had that. If Melnyk thinks he can win the Cup with character plugs, good luck. LOL))) Never ever happened. I am sure Stutzle wants no part already of this insanity of a bad drafting and bad trading.
We have that in Tkachuk, Norris & Batherson, you probably don't think so, but they are on our top line for a reason & were our best line all season. Then we have Stutzle, Pinto & C. Brown on the 2nd line which should get better this yr with more time & maturity. I also think that when Boucher is NHL ready not only will he protect your boy Stutzle's ass, he will also contribute offensively. You have no idea what Stutzle thinks or wants, all you have is an opinion like the rest of us.

Then on defence they will have Chabot who could be a future Norris winner & Sanderson who also has that potential. We have plenty of skill & are filling in the other positions with a lot of very good young players like Formenton, Sokolov, Jarventie, Ostapchuk & Greig. Lots to like about the future of this team. Now is your turn to tell us how terrible they are.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

I think it's tempered expectations. I myself am trying to as well. Josh Norris finished the season with 10 goals and 17 points in last 20 games, second in takeaways, hits, whatever. He was a force. He had an MVP like season in his rookie year in the AHL so last year can't be regarded as just some fluke.

Norris has Couture potential. But I think a lot of us are trying to not get ahead of ourselves and just be ecstatic with the possibility when it's more fruitful.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Stutzle, Pinto & C. Brown on the 2nd line

This will probably be our fist line mid way through the season. No ones gonna expect it but C Brown will have a nick foligno/willian karlsson esque random breakout season. 60+ pt rookie season M Stone kinda season

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
That strategy has really worked out well for the Leafs. :sarcasm:

Reactions: DylanSensFan

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

Oh, wait, you're actually being serious.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
If the sens make the playoffs its gonna feel like the Battle of the Bulge or the scrappiest battle. Teams who beat us will have empty pyrrhic Victories.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Last time this team had an identity was the “pesky sens” era

Aging captain in Alfredsson
More aging vets in Phillips, Kuba and Gonchar
Prime Spezza and Michalek
Karlssons break out Norris winning season
Rookie Cowen (his best season as a hockey player)
And the comeback kids: Foligno, Smith, Greening, Condra, Butler, Daugavins, Winchester
Notable mid season acquisition: Turris

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
It's obvious they're going for grit and tough to play against type roster. They're almost doing the complete opposite of the Leafs and focusing too much on grit/size/toughness, and not enough on skill. We need a good balance of both, and desperately could use another high end offensive weapon. Unfortunately no one even projects to be that aside from Stutzle, and he's not a guarantee either. Don't know how we'll pick one up going forward if we're all expecting to slide down the draft order from now on, you can find gems every now and then, but usually higher end picks are your best bet to grab that kind of prospect, and given PD and Mann's draft preference, not sure if they'll even take the chance on that kind of player regardless. It's disappointing to see, I enjoy watching skilled hockey plays much more so than crash and smash, which is what we're trending towards it seems.

Edit: I should also add, I guess those gritty type players don't command as much money as high end skilled ones, which might be a factor in choosing to go down this route. I wouldn't surprised, it's always been an issue with this team, but it sucks nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It's obvious they're going for grit and tough to play against type roster. They're almost doing the complete opposite of the Leafs and focusing too much on grit/size/toughness, and not enough on skill. We need a good balance of both, and desperately could use another high end offensive weapon. Unfortunately no one even projects to be that aside from Stutzle, and he's not a guarantee either. Don't know how we'll pick one up going forward if we're all expecting to slide down the draft order from now on, you can find gems every now and then, but usually higher end picks are your best bet to grab that kind of prospect, and given PD and Mann's draft preference, not sure if they'll even take the chance on that kind of player regardless. It's disappointing to see, I enjoy watching skilled hockey plays much more so than crash and smash, which is what we're trending towards it seems.

Edit: I should also add, I guess those gritty type players don't command as much money as high end skilled ones, which might be a factor in choosing to go down this route. I wouldn't surprised, it's always been an issue with this team, but it sucks nonetheless.

Bath was basically a rookie - counting Bath didn’t we have 3 of the top 4/5 rookie scorers… sounds like we have some young skill.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This team already has an image of hard to play against in the NHL & this coming yr they are going to add tough as well.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
This will be the Sens identity.
yeM.gif

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It would probably be fun if they could goon it up every now and then, but im expecting the physical to be as a skill, used to win. The way it seems DJ and Brady agree on about our identity. But hopefully Chris Neil can pass on his game of getting up to the line, but not over.

I remember watching Sanderson and Drysdale videos that year where we had lots of time to watch vids. And I remember thinking its possible Drysdale would be better if you measure by points per season. And in hindsight, if I had seen Boucher, I mighta thought I realize these other 5 guys will be better if measuring by most points.

But im hoping we come to think that Sanderson and Boucher were best players available for the identity we created. The best players available to create the winning conditions we needed. And that it doesn’t mean we drafted for need instead of bpa. We just changed what best means

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This will be the Sens identity.
yeM.gif

It's funny...I was doing a bit of a youtube run yesterday watching NHL highlights (mostly from the 70s and 80s). The usual...biggest hits, craziest plays, fan interference,etc.......and you know, it may have been WWE level crazy in the NHL for a number of years, and horrible for CTE and substance abuse after effects, but it was so much more entertaining to watch than the sanitized version of hockey the NHL has now.

I wish there was some way to bring the entertainment and chaos level back to the game, while also keeping players relatively safe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad