WJC: Team Finland 2019 U20 WJC Roster Talk

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
My projection based on the camp roster. I added Vesalainen and Tanus, although I don't think Tanus will make the team since he is not on the camp roster.

Heponiemi - Kupari - Kakko
Vesalainen - Lundell - Nordgren
Ranta - Talvitie - Ylönen
Nyman - Virtanen - Tanus
Engberg

Kokkonen - Laaksonen
Utunen - Honka
Anttalainen - Thomson
Latvala

Luukkonen
Lehtinen
Lindberg
Isn´t there too many "puckhogs" on that first line? I mean it in a positive way ;)

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Nordgren-Kotkaniemi-Kakko
Vesalainen-Kupari-Tolvanen
Heponiemi-Lundell-Engberg
Virtanen-Talvitie-Ylönen
Nyman

Kokkonen-Laaksonen
Heinola-Honka
Thomson-Utunen
Latvala

Luukkonen
Lehtinen
Lindberg

;)

I still think there is a chance to get Kotkaniemi.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Ranta has not been great this year. I would be surprised if he makes the team unless he does much better against U20 competition than older college competition.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, what to say... It's great that many youngsters have had good seasons in NA, obviously, but this also means that Finland likely misses out on numerous players who were supposed to be able to play here such as Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Heiskanen, Kotkaniemi, Jokiharju etc. so it undoubtedly is going to hurt their chances.

On the other hand, this group for Finland is still looking quite talented. The defence still looks decent which is quite remarkable when we consider how many top players are missing. Finland should get a pretty decent top 4 and there shouldn't be any terribly weak defensemen, something that wouldn't have been the case just a couple of years ago even if Finland was able to use every age-eligible player.

When it comes to forwards, it's also looking somewhat good. Still, it does look a little light on the top end. After the top 4 players, there just isn't that much high end skill. It's a fair bit worse in comparison to the 2016 team for instance. A lot will depend on whether they'll get Vesalainen, for instance.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Nordgren-Kotkaniemi-Kakko
Vesalainen-Kupari-Tolvanen
Heponiemi-Lundell-Engberg
Virtanen-Talvitie-Ylönen
Nyman

Kokkonen-Laaksonen
Heinola-Honka
Thomson-Utunen
Latvala

Luukkonen
Lehtinen
Lindberg

;)

I still think there is a chance to get Kotkaniemi.

Would be incredible if we could get that roster but I have my doubts :(

Reactions: FinPanda

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Doesn't look that bad even without Tolvanen, Kotkaniemi Vesalainen and Vaakanainen.

Talvitie-Kupari-Heponiemi
Nordgren-Virtanen-Kakko
Nyman-Lundell-Ylönen
Ranta-Vainionpää-Engberg

Kokkonen-Laaksonen
Utunen-Honka
Kaskinen-Latvala
Heinola/Thomson

Luukkonen
Lehtinen

Last edited:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
"Vesalainen" - Kupari - Heponiemi
Nyman - Talvitie - Kakko
Lundell - "Tanus" - Nordgren
Ranta - Virtanen - Engberg
Ylönen

Kokkonen - Laaksonen
Utunen - Honka
Heinola - Thomson
Anttalainen

Luukkonen
Lehtinen

Prediction:
Vesalainen will be loaned, but Tolvanen and Kotkaniemi will not participate in the tournament. Kristian Tanus will surprise everybody by making the roster over Vainionpää. Lenni Killinen and Lauri Pajuniemi (if healthy) will compete for the last available camp invite, but ultimately neither of them make it to the final roster.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
The WJC camp roster has been announced. They will add three forwards to the group at some point.
Source: Jukka Jalonen valitsi peräti kahdeksan ensikertalaista Moskovan turnaukseen, Nuorten Leijonien MM-leiriryhmä nimetty

Camp roster:
G:
Lehtinen Lassi (Lukko)
Lindberg Filip (Massachusetts NCAA)
Luukkonen Ukko-Pekka (Sudbury Wolves OHL)

D:

Anttalainen Aleksi (Blaineville QMJHL)
Heinola Ville (Lukko)
Honka Anttoni (JYP)
Kaskinen Olli (TPS)
Kokkonen Mikko (Jukurit)
Laaksonen Oskari (Ilves)
Latvala Otto (HPK)
Riekkinen Joona (KalPa)
Thomson Lassi (Kelowna Rockets WHL)
Utunen Toni (Tappara)

F:
Engberg Teemu (HIFK)
Heponiemi Aleksi (Kärpät)
Kakko Kaapo (TPS)
Kupari Rasmus (Kärpät)
Anton Lundell (HIFK)
Nordgren Niklas (HIFK)
Nyman Linus (Lukko)
Ranta Sampo (Minnesota NCAA)
Talvitie Aarne (Penn State NCAA)
Vainionpää Samuli (Ilves)
Virtanen Santeri (SaiPa)
Ylönen Jesse (Pelicans)
Could it be they are saving a place for Joni Ikonen in case he's able to return from his injury? Or there's no hope?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Is Vaakanainen confirmed to be off the team? Big loss for the Fins if so.

They didn't announce anyone with NHL contract playing in North America on the camp roster so I wouldn't take him off just yet. I think his presence on the team would be more on the health.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
What do you think of your chances? Sweden sucks so we wont be in your way.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What do you think of your chances? Sweden sucks so we wont be in your way.

Come on don't be so negative.
I saw Sweden's U20 WJC training camp roster and it didn't look so bad as you thought.
Those defencemans what Sweden is getting are something what Finland can't match.

Sweden will have best defence in the tournament and even if / when goalies aren't so good that defence will compensate Swedish goaltending. Offence is OK for Sweden so if you guys won't be at least in semifinals i'm more than surprised.

And what comes to Finland i don't have medal expectations
If we can win our U20 WJC quarterfinal i'm happy for that.
Everything after that ( winning U20 WJC quarterfinal) is a plus.

Last edited:

king89

Dec 4, 2018
The WJC camp roster has been announced. They will add three forwards to the group at some point.
Source: Jukka Jalonen valitsi peräti kahdeksan ensikertalaista Moskovan turnaukseen, Nuorten Leijonien MM-leiriryhmä nimetty

Camp roster:
G:
Lehtinen Lassi (Lukko)
Lindberg Filip (Massachusetts NCAA)
Luukkonen Ukko-Pekka (Sudbury Wolves OHL)

D:

Anttalainen Aleksi (Blaineville QMJHL)
Heinola Ville (Lukko)
Honka Anttoni (JYP)
Kaskinen Olli (TPS)
Kokkonen Mikko (Jukurit)
Laaksonen Oskari (Ilves)
Latvala Otto (HPK)
Riekkinen Joona (KalPa)
Thomson Lassi (Kelowna Rockets WHL)
Utunen Toni (Tappara)

F:
Engberg Teemu (HIFK)
Heponiemi Aleksi (Kärpät)
Kakko Kaapo (TPS)
Kupari Rasmus (Kärpät)
Anton Lundell (HIFK)
Nordgren Niklas (HIFK)
Nyman Linus (Lukko)
Ranta Sampo (Minnesota NCAA)
Talvitie Aarne (Penn State NCAA)
Vainionpää Samuli (Ilves)
Virtanen Santeri (SaiPa)
Ylönen Jesse (Pelicans)

None of the defensmen have ever played in the U20 world juniors before, quite interesting. Still it looks alright. Heinola has been great in Liiga, a big surprise. Laaksonen great also. What i worry about is the lack of weight in the team. Average weight is 81.1, Canada and Czech has 85,62 & 84 kg. I think that Vaakanainen would have helped this team in so many ways. He has experience and bring calmness to the team. He also has a little bit more meat on him.

Kotkaniemi would be the dream, is it possibly that Montreal lend him?
I really don't want Tolvanen to get a "free spot" on the team. He needs to earn that right like everybody else. Has he played good in the AHL? 4 goals in 21 games makes me wonder. I really hope that Vesalainen joins, he will create space for our smaller forwards and he is very good around the boards. That shoot to. If none of these guys join, who will be the other three?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
None of the defensmen have ever played in the U20 world juniors before, quite interesting. Still it looks alright. Heinola has been great in Liiga, a big surprise. Laaksonen great also. What i worry about is the lack of weight in the team. Average weight is 81.1, Canada and Czech has 85,62 & 84 kg. I think that Vaakanainen would have helped this team in so many ways. He has experience and bring calmness to the team. He also has a little bit more meat on him.

Kotkaniemi would be the dream, is it possibly that Montreal lend him?
I really don't want Tolvanen to get a "free spot" on the team. He needs to earn that right like everybody else. Has he played good in the AHL? 4 goals in 21 games makes me wonder. I really hope that Vesalainen joins, he will create space for our smaller forwards and he is very good around the boards. That shoot to. If none of these guys join, who will be the other three?

Chances are very slim Kotkaniemi gets loaned but you never know. What’s amazing is he would also be eligible next year

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Doesn't look that bad even without Tolvanen, Kotkaniemi Vesalainen and Vaakanainen.

Talvitie-Kupari-Heponiemi
Nordgren-Virtanen-Kakko
Nyman-Lundell-Ylönen
Ranta-Vainionpää-Engberg

Kokkonen-Laaksonen
Utunen-Honka
Kaskinen-Latvala
Heinola/Thomson

Luukkonen
Lehtinen

Why would you have Virtanen over Lundell in the 2nd line? Just by looking at production he has 7 points in 25 games while Lundell is running with 10 in 18 games. Had the latter been born a month or so earlier he'd be draft eligible at 2019. If Kotkaniemi doesn't arrive and Kakko remains on the wing, I'd go with Lundell in the second line without blinking an eye.

Reactions: 1OApick

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Why would you have Virtanen over Lundell in the 2nd line? Just by looking at production he has 7 points in 25 games while Lundell is running with 10 in 18 games. Had the latter been born a month or so earlier he'd be draft eligible at 2019. If Kotkaniemi doesn't arrive and Kakko remains on the wing, I'd go with Lundell in the second line without blinking an eye.

Vesalainen-Kupari-Heponiemi
Kaako-Talvitie-Nordgren
Ylönen-Lundell-Ranta
Engberg-Virtanen-Moilainen
You can swap Talvite and Lundell depending on chemistry and so on

whiteout Vesalainen
Nyman-Kupari-Heponiemi
Kaako-Talvitie-Nordgren
Ylönen-Lundell-Ranta
Engberg-Virtanen-Moilainen

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Wait a sec ... Finland are on a roll Canada not so much.

Even among the youngsters of hockey.

what roll are you guys on? Canada won gold last year,won the last 2 best on bests and 3 if you include the world cup.What did you guys do with your young stars last year in the juniors? you guys flamed out without even a medal.

Canada is what you hope to be, the problem is some of you are acting as if you already are without the results to back any of this big talk up.

Some of you folks need to learn some respect, you havent proven anything yet.

Walk the walk before talking the talk, humility is your best friend, don't forget that.

Reactions: TheBeastCoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad