WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
It could be interessting if the Sabres make the play offs in future. Risto would have to useless because he s too tired. :DD

Reactions: Mestaruus

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
What is wrong this year?
Why Need saros a couple of days to say yes or no?

All other i didnt think they will come. But in saros i was pretty sure but now....
I would also think twice about joining team Finland with basically no nhl players. Roster is quite laughable compared to other teams, yet media expectations and critique is always at the highest level and it falls on the nhl players and the goalies the hardest. The culture is way too much about the fear of losing rather than hope and excitement of winning. Basically as a lone nhl player there's way more to lose than there is to win

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Ristolainen should cut down on his muscles and loose some weight. He should work on his skating, condition and agility, i really do believe he is too heavy and that´s why his career never took steps and he will probably not progress. He has some mentality in him but i´m sure he needs to adjust his summer training. He doesn´t need to be that strong as a defender. He could use a lot more mobility in my opinion. Rather sooner than later, otherwise he will never become a good enough partner for Dahlin either.

Sometimes i believe that Risto could have been a hybrid between Byfuglien and Klingberg, that is if he would have trained smart and reached his potential.

Reactions: Mestaruus

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
We would need a #metoo -kind of movement to dress the problem of having so many declines for the national team this year.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
We would need a #metoo -kind of movement to dress the problem of having so many declines for the national team this year.
Right now, something that kinda makes the situation worthwhile is getting to laugh my hindside off at everyone who thought this problem would go away with Marjamäki.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
When I looked at the names we have on the team, I don't think it looks that bad. Sure we don't have big NHL names or KHL veterans but we have a very young and hungry team. They for sure will show everyone what they can do.

Some of them are future NHL players.

And don't please ruin this optimism for me! :laugh:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
When I looked at the names we have on the team, I don't think it looks that bad. Sure we don't have big NHL names or KHL veterans but we have a very young and hungry team. They for sure will show everyone what they can do.
Honestly, it's a lot better team than it looks. It really is only two pieces away from being maybe not a medal contender, but "decent". A good goalie and someone we could call a first line centre. For everything else, we have a player with all the necessary tools to execute his given role. We already have a good defense, that's really not so far off from what we usually have, especially so if we get to add a couple more from the Liiga finals. We also have a decent crop of wingers. They're unproven, but there is some good skill in there. And the centermen we have should be suitable for middle- and bottom-six.

And as for those missing pieces, getting that goalie is actually not even a long shot. If Saros says no, then I have reasonable faith that Vehviläinen can do it. But, sadly, that centerman is not coming so easily. There is essentially only one plausible path left for getting one. Dallas has to bow out and Hintz must agree to come. If that does not come to pass, then all we can do is hope that one of the current group is up to the mantle.

Reactions: FinPanda

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
Honestly, it's a lot better team than it looks. It really is only two pieces away from being maybe not a medal contender, but "decent". A good goalie and someone we could call a first line centre. For everything else, we have a player with all the necessary tools to execute his given role. We already have a good defense, that's really not so far off from what we usually have, especially so if we get to add a couple more from the Liiga finals. We also have a decent crop of wingers. They're unproven, but there is some good skill in there. And the centermen we have should be suitable for middle- and bottom-six.

And as for those missing pieces, getting that goalie is actually not even a long shot. If Saros says no, then I have reasonable faith that Vehviläinen can do it. But, sadly, that centerman is not coming so easily. There is essentially only one plausible path left for getting one. Dallas has to bow out and Hintz must agree to come. If that does not come to pass, then all we can do is hope that one of the current group is up to the mantle.

And most importantly as a cherry on the top of the cake we have one of the best coaching staff in whole tournament. Jalonen-Pennanen-Manner are some heck of an authorities and masterminds in modern style of hockey with mix of understanding "Our system".

Reactions: Svedu

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Will Rick Rickson have had enough time to declare for USA by then?
The U.S wont want Mr -41

Hope Dallas gets eliminated just so Heiskanen can avenge the robbery he experienced today... Seriously Binnington?

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Btw in the last game against Sweden played a player with the name Arttu Ruotsalainen. Does anbody know if he is may be the son of Reijo Ruotsolainen, "Rexi" as he was called here in Bern, the former finnish national team player who won twice the Stanley Cup with the Edmonton Oilers and played over 500 games in the NHL? He also won with the SC Bern three times the Swiss Championship. He was in my opinion the best foreign player who played ever in Bern.

Or does he have only by accident the same family name?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Btw in the last game against Sweden played a player with the name Arttu Ruotsalainen. Does anbody know if he is may be the son of Reijo Ruotsolainen, "Rexi" as he was called here in Bern, the former finnish national team player who won twice the Stanley Cup with the Edmonton Oilers and played over 500 games in the NHL? He also won with the SC Bern three times the Swiss Championship. He was in my opinion the best foreign player who played ever in Bern.
Not related.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Might be distant relatives as they both come from Oulu, usually such names in Finland are associated with (historical) eastern border regions and have faith (rather than family) related implications.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Maybe off topic but is Mykkä, Pukki, Kupari, Häyhä, names that are considered eastern Finnish? Karjalaiset?

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Honestly, it's a lot better team than it looks. It really is only two pieces away from being maybe not a medal contender, but "decent". A good goalie and someone we could call a first line centre.

Finland has medaled without a legit first-line center before. In 1998 it was Raimo Helminen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad