Team Finland @ 2013 World Championships

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
if we have pekka rinne in net he can win us games by himself. hopefully him and raanta can play under home crowd presure unlike lehtonen and vehanen...
You really shouldn't assume that Raanta will make it. Sure, he's hot now, but he also has zero NT experience. Not even EHTs or anything. Jalonen isn't exactly known for trusting a guy like that out of the blue.

I'd have nothing against it if he would, but won't hold my breath on it.

And pinning last years' blowouts on the goalies when the whole team had a couple of bad nights is really cheap.

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
You really shouldn't assume that Raanta will make it. Sure, he's hot now, but he also has zero NT experience. Not even EHTs or anything. Jalonen isn't exactly known for trusting a guy like that out of the blue.

I'd have nothing against it if he would, but won't hold my breath on it.

And pinning last years' blowouts on the goalies when the whole team had a couple of bad nights is really cheap.

raanta is right now best finnish goalie in europe he will make it jalonen just cant left him out just because he doesnt have NT experiences after season like this that would be really stupid move from him.

Raanta will make in team 3rd or 2nd goalie mayby even 1st if sm-liiga finals ends in four games and he plays amazing games in cze EHT and nobody is coming from NHL.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
raanta is right now best finnish goalie in europe he will make it jalonen just cant left him out just because he doesnt have NT experiences after season like this that would be really stupid move from him.
The history of our NT is full of such "stupid moves", leaving nothing but ton of speculation behind.

Like I said, I've got nothing against Raanta making it, but simply willing yourself to believe it's going to happen isn't going to make it so.

Raanta will make in team 3rd or 2nd goalie mayby even 1st if sm-liiga finals ends in four games and he plays amazing games in cze EHT and nobody is coming from NHL.
The first fault here is that this requires the assumption the finals end quick and players from the finals make it to the EHT in the first place.

If this happens, then yeah, Raanta's going to have a shot at making it. But if it doesn't, then whoever's in the net in the EHT is very likely going to be favored in the considerations. Unless, of course, they tank royally.

Bottom line - if Raanta is available for EHT, then likely. If he isn't, Jalonen isn't going to pick an unknown on NT level if he's got some solid netminders already. You may call this crazy talk if you like, but we've seen enough of Jalonen to know that this is very likely how his mind works.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
It will be quite interesting though to see who makes it in Niskala's stead. Hietanen and Mäenpää will probably be shoo-ins by now, but there's still room for two more OMD. There isn't much coming from NHL's way. Timonen is the only possible.

I'd say Ville Lajunen looks a probable after having a good EHT in Sweden. Also, could Ristolainen rise to the occasion?

And while he's not exactly OD, I'd say Janne Jalasvaara looks right now like a player who deserves to be in this team. I'd definitely take him at least ahead of Kukkonen and Jaakola. Väänänen naturally is in, and Melart looks like he might play a slot for himself. Ohtamaa is very likely a filler.

It will be interesting to see who takes Niskala's spot.

Do we think of Ristolainen as an OD or a DD or a 2-way guy? Because he projects as the last one, but isn't polished yet, especially in his own zone. I guess it would be 'safer' to think of him as an OD at this point, but I believe Lepistö is a strong candidate to take Niskala's place. Is Lajunen still playing? If not, I'd expect him to be at camp, considering that he's not exactly a lock to make the team.

We could be looking at a final quartet of ODs consisting of Hietanen, Mäenpää, Lepistö and Lajunen. Ristolainen is my surprise pick.

I could maybe see Jalasvaara taking Jaakola's spot, but not Kukkonen's. Kukkonen's been a regular alternate captain lately, so obviously Jalonen thinks he has intangibles. I thought he was already a step behind in last year's tournament, but his intangibles may be something Jalonen believes the team needs.

Melart could turn out to be this year's Joonas Järvinen.

So with DDs, we'd be left with Kukkonen, Jalasvaara/Jaakola, Väänänen and Melart.

Yes, Jalonen can leave him out if he wishes and if he does, it wouldn't be the weirdest move he's pulled during his reign. I think we have a chance of landing Rinne as the started, and IMO Raanta could be his backup, assuming Rämö isn't coming (which is not confirmed, but him not playing in any tournament all season and now missing at least the first two weeks of camp aren't exactly encouraging signals). However, Jalonen may prefer Vehanen for that position.

So my current guess for our goalie trio would be Rinne, Raanta/Vehanen/Rämö, Ortio. Not all goalies want to be the 3rd wheel, but I think Ortio wouldn't mind.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Rämö and Ahonen are not coming to WHC
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/mmjaakie...kovaa-maalivahtia-kieltaytyi-leijona-paidasta

we might even see Raanta Metsola tandem if WHC if we dont get anyone from NHL.
that would be something new two best sm-liiga goalies first they play against each other in finals then togehter in team finland :D

If rinne declines there are still lassila and iiro tarkki ahead of metsola. I think raanta is pretty much safe bet to make the team now.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Rämö and Ahonen are not coming to WHC
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/mmjaakie...kovaa-maalivahtia-kieltaytyi-leijona-paidasta

we might even see Raanta Metsola tandem if WHC if we dont get anyone from NHL.
that would be something new two best sm-liiga goalies first they play against each other in finals then togehter in team finland :D

Interesting, but somewhat expected since they've been MIA after their season ended. This is when it becomes handy to have good goalie depth in general. These two neither make nor break the team.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I could maybe see Jalasvaara taking Jaakola's spot, but not Kukkonen's. Kukkonen's been a regular alternate captain lately, so obviously Jalonen thinks he has intangibles. I thought he was already a step behind in last year's tournament, but his intangibles may be something Jalonen believes the team needs.

Melart could turn out to be this year's Joonas Järvinen.

So with DDs, we'd be left with Kukkonen, Jalasvaara/Jaakola, Väänänen and Melart.
Yeah. I was never implying both of them should be dropped, because even after Väänänen - and possibly Melart - we still have two more DD slots left. I simply said Jalasvaara should be picked before either of these two, leaving them to settle it out who gets the last one. And I agree, Kukkonen might make it due to these mysterious intangibles he has.

And oh damn, we have Laakso as well. Can't count him out either. Two-way between him and Melart?

Jalonen acknowledges Raanta here, which I take as a good sign. I'd be happy to be wrong with what I predicted about his status.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/mmjaakie...uutu-2225-rinne-ja-vatanen-tyrkylla-leijoniin

Interesting. Are the Ducks about to release Vatanen, which should solve the Niskala issue quite fittingly - or is Maikkari simply trolling us with that headline? Guess we'll know in about half an hour.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Jalonen didn't really say anything new about Rinne and Vatanen. I do think Rinne is interested in coming if Nashville lets him, but they can't say it directly because the regular season's still going on in NA. As for Vatanen, it's up to the Ducks. I think he'll be here if they let him, but so far I'd say it's far less certain than Rinne's participation. Jalonen just said that Vatanen's such a good player that they're interested in having him if possible.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/leijonat/2013041016885662_ln.shtml

According to this, Jalonen says he will consider waiting for more reinforcements from the 1st round of the NHL playoffs, depending on the schedule. When's the last time he decided to wait it out? If he does decide to wait, it will be for a big gun, not some Jesse Joensuu.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Yeah. So it was simple clickwhoring from Maikkari. Should've guessed.

According to this, Jalonen says he will consider waiting for more reinforcements from the 1st round of the NHL playoffs, depending on the schedule. When's the last time he decided to wait it out? If he does decide to wait, it will be for a big gun, not some Jesse Joensuu.
If we roll with 12+8 as usual, it leaves two forward slots open. My guess is his eyes are on a particular pair playing in Minnesota.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
I doubt the Ducks will let Vatanen go. They're heading into playoffs and Vatanen is their #1 call-up guy on the defense.

goodoldhockeygame

Sep 29, 2011
What you think bout the nhlers who could may come (just looked on the standings)

Härski
Petrell
Pitkänen (injured!?)
Ruutu
Filppula
Korpikoski
Timonen
Leino
Joensuu
Salo (Probably not)

Who you'd like to join , who not!? And did some of the guys alredy once make a statement about WC?

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
If we roll with 12+8 as usual, it leaves two forward slots open. My guess is his eyes are on a particular pair playing in Minnesota.

Yes, I think so too. It's however not a certainty that MiG will even be with Minnesota for much longer. It's very possible that he ends up going back to Houston soon and plays for the Aeros in the playoffs.

Kurri said he met up with all the Eastern Conference players and has spoken on the phone with the ones playing in the West. So I assume he knows where even the ones likely to play in the playoffs stand regarding the tournament.

What you think bout the nhlers who could may come (just looked on the standings)

Härski
Petrell
Pitkänen (injured!?)
Ruutu
Filppula
Korpikoski
Timonen
Leino
Joensuu
Salo (Probably not)

Who you'd like to join , who not!? And did some of the guys alredy once make a statement about WC?

Hartikainen- No, will most likely continue his season in the AHL

Petrell- Maybe, but don't we have enough grinders in Europe. Jalonen may not want to take him without a camp.

Pitkänen- No, out for the season with a broken foot.

Ruutu- Maybe, but does he want to come without his BFF? Also, he may not be 100% healthy.

Filppula- Yes, if the Wings don't make the playoffs and he's 100%. But I think the Wings will make it.

Korpikoski- Maybe, if he's healthy, because he wants to play in Sochi. Otherwise no.

Timonen- No. He hurt his foot some time ago, but has been playing regardless. It's also been 8 years since he took part in this tournament, so I'd say it's very doubtful that he wants to come.

Leino- Maybe. If he wants to come to Sochi, he'd better show up, barring an injury. Apparently he may have some difficulties with Jalonen, meaning that he may not want to come and Jalonen may not even want him.

Joensuu- Maybe, depending on if Jalonen wants him, because we really do have enough grinders. But the Isles will probably make the playoffs anyway.

Salo- No. A veteran who hasn't been in the tournament in years. I'd be very surprised if he said yes.

The only one who I think is certain to come as long as he passes the medical is Rinne. Kurri did say they had names (in plural), so there should be at least one other willing player.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Ruutu- Maybe, but does he want to come without his BFF? Also, he may not be 100% healthy.
I'd say health's the bigger factor here that can bar Ruutu's participation. If Koivu can play without him, then other way around should also be possible. Would seem awfully petty otherwise.

Leino- Maybe. If he wants to come to Sochi, he'd better show up, barring an injury. Apparently he may have some difficulties with Jalonen, meaning that he may not want to come and Jalonen may not even want him.
Apart from Rinne obviously, Leino's currently on top of my personal list. He has such an unique skillset and evaluating its usefulness for the Sochi squad would make these games far more interesting.

Also, re: about having enough grinders. I think we actually have unusually small amount of them ATM, at least what comes to proven grinders. There's really no other names fitting the bill than Pihlström and Osala, and both - especially the latter - could well be destined to climb higher in the lineup.

I have no doubt though that guys like Anttila and Salomäki could also handle those 4th line duties with little trouble if so assigned, but would guys like Joensuu and Petrell be upgrades over them, even if only minor ones? Yes.

Of course, if the question is about who we'd like to come instead of who we'll think could come, I'd say all of them. With an exception of maybe only two out of Petrell, Hartikainen and Joensuu - simply to avoid grinder overdose.

---

Also, this is simply a curious side-note more than a real issue, but I noticed that with Niskala sidelined, most of the OMDs in contention seem to be right-handed shots. Mäenpää is a lefty, but then Hietanen, Lajunen, Ristolainen and Kousa are all rights. Curiously, the next left hook on the depth chart appears to be Lepistö.

A mere curiosity, right? At least for as long as you don't recall Jalonen emphasizing how important special teams are in his mind...

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I'd say health's the bigger factor here that can bar Ruutu's participation. If Koivu can play without him, then other way around should also be possible. Would seem awfully petty otherwise.

Yes, it does sound petty, but after what Tuomo said in 2011 about being in if Mikko's in, it's something I'd keep it in mind. If however he has any health issues whatsoever, I don't expect him to show up.

Also, re: about having enough grinders. I think we actually have unusually small amount of them ATM, at least what comes to proven grinders. There's really no other names fitting the bill than Pihlström and Osala, and both - especially the latter - could well be destined to climb higher in the lineup.

I have no doubt though that guys like Anttila and Salomäki could also handle those 4th line duties with little trouble if so assigned, but would guys like Joensuu and Petrell be upgrades over them, even if only minor ones? Yes.

The main question here IMO is if Jalonen views this year's squad differently than last year's. Last year no NHL grinders were given guaranteed spots in the final team and had to attend camp. Does Jalonen think differently this year? Does he see these players as significant upgrades over the SM-liiga players that have been on camp for 3 or 4 week? I think they'd be willing to join the team, but it's up to Jalonen if he wants them to. Personally I don't care much either way, except that like you said, not all of those three should make the team.

Also, this is simply a curious side-note more than a real issue, but I noticed that with Niskala sidelined, most of the OMDs in contention seem to be right-handed shots. Mäenpää is a lefty, but then Hietanen, Lajunen, Ristolainen and Kousa are all rights. Curiously, the next left hook on the depth chart appears to be Lepistö.

A mere curiosity, right? At least for as long as you don't recall Jalonen emphasizing how important special teams are in his mind...

This is one of the reasons I said in an earlier message that I think Lepistö will take one of the OD spots. They're going to want another left-handed shot in the top 4.

Finland seems to have quite a few right-handed defensemen among the top youngsters as well these days. Vatanen, Ristolainen, Pokka, Hakanpää for example are all righties.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The main question here IMO is if Jalonen views this year's squad differently than last year's. Last year no NHL grinders were given guaranteed spots in the final team and had to attend camp. Does Jalonen think differently this year? Does he see these players as significant upgrades over the SM-liiga players that have been on camp for 3 or 4 week? I think they'd be willing to join the team, but it's up to Jalonen if he wants them to. Personally I don't care much either way, except that like you said, not all of those three should make the team.
For starters, this year round Jalonen doesn't have the luxury to see them mettle against each other on the camp. And secondly, which was my maint point, the competition was way tougher last year. Komarov, Joensuu, Pihlström are all Jalonen familiars and were probably a lot harder to pass for those roles than Anttila and Salomäki will be - especially when Komarov was a lock no matter what happened. So it's not exactly comparable.

But if our current, lower-prestige grinders end up doing well on the camp, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Jalonen decides to favor them.

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
If rinne declines there are still lassila and iiro tarkki ahead of metsola. I think raanta is pretty much safe bet to make the team now.

I think Lassila is injured? he has played only 23 games season and those didnt go so good either.

And Tarkki his last time in NT was 10-11 season moscows eht i think? with a really bad stats 23 games played 4.57 GAA .837 SVS% has not been in Jalonens team after that so i dont think he will make it in WHC this year either he would be in camp already.

So Raanta will probably make it if doesnt totally meltdown in finals. :D

But in general i really dont care who is in our team if we are winning games and i hope that our team staff will not make same mistakes this year what they have made in past.
I hope thay start to think positively like in 2011 they know that Granlund was not been in EHT before WHC and Aravirta said that they should not take him in team because that and we all remember what happend when Jalonen deside to take him.;)

It can be same scenario this season with Raanta why we always think about negative things like if starts to let easy goals,meltsdown, cant take presures and things like that?:nopity:.

Why we dont think good way and for chance imagine if continues play in WHC as good as hes playing in SM-Liiga:dunno:

And for last i just want watch games and hope that finland wins and jalonen just takes those players for every position who are best in that day.

Old good moments and games dont matter today we all saw that last year when our 2011 best line pesonen-immonen-granlund was our worst line and help team more by eating popcorn than being in ice.:facepalm:

Killerinstinct

Dec 19, 2012
My guess is that Jalonen`s one choice is Vehanen. Strong rumors are taking Vehanen to SKA Pietari next season.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Practice game against Norway today at 20.00 in Lillehammer. Katsomo.fi and MTV3 max sport 1 will show the game.

e. Lineup

Oskar Osala - Ville Viitaluoma - Juha-Pekka Haataja
Mikko Mäenpää - Juuso Hietanen

Niklas Hagman - Teemu Ramstedt - Pekka Jormakka
Ilari Melart - Mikko Kousa

Miikka Salomäki - Juha-Pekka Hytönen - Marko Anttila
Sami Lepistö - Rasmus Ristolainen

Jere Sallinen - Petteri Wirtanen - Kristian Kuusela
Atte Ohtamaa - Teemu Laakso

G: Atte Engren (Mika Järvinen)

resting: Joni Ortio, Topi Jaakola, Ossi Väänänen, Antti Pihlström, Sakari Salminen

e2. 0-0 after the first period. Engren with a few nice saves

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Finland lost 1-3. Hietanen and Mäenpää were brutal defensively. The centers didn't really help out either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad