Team Finland @ 2013 World Championships

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'd be very surprised if Teemu Pulkkinen or Teuvo Teräväinen didn't join the team in the near future. Or is there a chance that Pulkkinen will pack his bags ASAP and joined Wings' AHL affiliate?

We're playing Norway twice the week after the two Denmark games, they might be on that team. Who's coaching if Jalonen is still with SKA?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Finland will play a practice match against denmark today @ 20.55, lineups

Oskar Osala - Ville Viitaluoma - Juha-Pekka Haataja
Sami Lepistö - Juuso Hietanen

Niklas Hagman - Petteri Wirtanen - Pekka Jormakka
Ilari Melart - Mikko Kousa

Antti Pihlström - Miikka Salomäki - Marko Anttila
Rasmus Ristolainen - Teemu Laakso

Toni Kähkönen - Tomi Sallinen - Kristian Kuusela
Atte Ohtamaa - Ville Pokka

13.F
Jere Sallinen

G:
Mika Järvinen (Atte Engren)

Katsomo.fi (7€) and max sport 1 will show the game

http://www.katsomo.fi/?progId=172722

Game is free if you have leijonakausi package.

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Watching the game. Liking Osala, Anttila, Salomäki and Melart in particular so far. Salomäki seems to have found some chemistry with Pihlström. The Danes really hate Melart.:laugh:

Right now the biggest doubt in my mind in regards to Melart and his possible WC spot is if he's too prone to penalties.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
2-0 After the first period.

Goals by

1-0 Haataja(Viitaluoma)
2-0 Pihlström(Salomäki)

Finland controls the game totally, denmark maybe had 1 or 2 shots on goal.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
The space in front of Denmark's net is wide open for all Finns tonight. It's a little sad to be honest. 0-3 (Hagman)

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Ristolainen playing with confidence. Great pass to Salomäki, who unfortunately decided to go for something way too pretty. Should've taken a shot right away. Good play from the kids anyway.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Some thoughts after 2nd

Forwards

Salomäki and Pihlström have created a few changes, good hustle and some nice hits. Salomäki needs to improve his finishing!

Osala really like that goes in front of the net all the time, just the kinda player that this team needs

Jormakka and Hagman seemed to have some chemistry. Nice defencive play on the goal by jormakka. Few good passes by hagman and goal of course.

Haataja drives to the net really hard and shoots all the time. Viitaluoma with 2 assists.

Sallinen was good defensively

Kähkönen,Kuusela were invisible

D's
Ristolainen looked pretty good out there, few nice rushes with a puck and some solid outlet passes. Played some pk also

Melart and Hietanen are the best dmen by far.
Melart with some solid passes and he has already drew 3 penalties. Hietanen was the best dmen offensively.

Lepistö and Kousa looked pretty useless on the powerplay.

4-0 after 2nd 4th goal by Hietanen.

e:
5-0 Haataja(Viitaluoma,Hietanen) (nice shot from the right point)
6-0 Jormakka(Hagman)(nice pass by hagman and great shot by jormakka)
7-0 Pihlström(Jormakka)

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
jjtt, any thoughts on Pokka? I think he's been pretty invisible, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think he could afford to be a little bolder considering how weak the opponent is.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
jjtt, any thoughts on Pokka? I think he's been pretty invisible, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think he could afford to be a little bolder considering how weak the opponent is.

haven't seen him much tbh.

e. i think mertaranta haven't even mentioned him or ohtamaa during the whole game, except maybe in the beginning.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
7-0 the final score, Järvinen with easy shutout on his first national team game. First cuts from the team will be on weekend.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Anyone know what Denmark's lineup looked like?

Something like this: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=63283311#post63283311

haven't seen him much tbh.

e. i think mertaranta haven't even mentioned him or ohtamaa during the whole game, except maybe in the beginning.

I tried extra hard to find him there and when he was on the ice, he didn't do much. Nothing bad, but nothing that great either.

Very pleased with Ristolainen, he's very good for his age. Played with good confidence, was reasonably physical and fearless and caused no damage in our end despite some awkward positioning. If he keeps on developing like this, I think he can really contend for a spot next year.

Call me crazy, but I almost hope they keep Salomäki for another week at least. Shift him to wing if/when you have enough centers.

So who's joining the team next week? Mäenpää, Väänänen, Pulkkinen?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Ramstedt and some of the Kazan guys will probably join. And of course head coach Jalonen is now free as well.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
2nd camp roster:

GKs:

Mika Järvinen, HPK
Atte Engren, TPS
Joni Ortio, HIFK

D-men:

Teemu Laakso, Severstal
Ossi Väänänen, Jokerit
Topi Jaakola, Amur
Rasmus Ristolainen, TPS
Sami Lepistö, Lev Praha
Ilari Melart, HIFK
Mikko Kousa, MoDo
Mikko Mäenpää, Lev Praha
Atte Ohtamaa, Kärpät
Juuso Hietanen, Novgorod

Forwards:

Teemu Ramstedt, SKA
Juha-Pekka Hytönen , Amur
Sakari Salminen, KalPa
Niklas Hagman, Lokomotiv
Marko Anttila, TPS
Petteri Wirtanen, Donbass
Miikka Salomäki, Kärpät
Jere Sallinen, HPK
Pekka Jormakka, Pelicans
Oskar Osala, Neftehimik
Juha-Pekka Haataja, Kärpät
Kristian Kuusela, Blues
Ville Viitaluoma, HPK
Tomi Sallinen, Blues
Antti Pihlström, Ufa

No Pulkkinen and Teräväinen, so I guess they are off the books. Also, no KHL goalie yet either, while both Ahonen and Rämö should be free.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Pokka and Kähkönen cut, great to see Ristolainen and Salomäki on the 2nd week. Surprised that Kuusela or J.Sallinen wasn't cut.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Surprised that Kuusela or J.Sallinen wasn't cut.
Sallinen IMO deserves a further look, not that he has ever had a realistic chance to make it. Kuusela... guess they had some spare room in the lineup.

Another notable pair of absentees I just noticed are our Sibir forwards, Lehterä and Enlund. Not that either is a lock, but hopefully they'll be around later. Plus a goalie or two.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Sallinen IMO deserves a further look, not that he has ever had a realistic chance to make it. Kuusela... guess they had some spare room in the lineup.

Another notable pair of absentees I just noticed are our Sibir forwards, Lehterä and Enlund. Not that either is a lock, but hopefully they'll be around later. Plus a goalie or two.

Lehterä has a concussion, it's possible he won't be able to compete for a spot at all.

Not surprised to see Pokka cut. He needs to get some more self-confidence and try again next year. Good to see Ristolainen and Salomäki still in the running.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Lehterä and Niskala are both out due to injuries. Niskala's a much bigger loss than Lehterä at this point.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/mmjaakiekko2013/uutiset.shtml/2013/04/1734044/lehtera-sivuun-mm-kisoista

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/mmjaakie.../leijonien-luottopakin-mm-kisat-jaavat-valiin

As for NHL reinforcements, I wonder if Tuomo Ruutu would have interest since Carolina's playoff chances are slim to none. I have my doubts because IIRC, he only came in 2011 because Mikko came as well.

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
So Lehterä and Niskala are injured:( month a go center looked our strongest position now because Lehteräs and Barkovs injuries its other way around.

Kontiola is our only elite euro center now and will most likely be our 1st line center but after him we have I.filppula, ramstedt, hytönen, kapanen(if he wants to come), immonen, koskiranta, wirtanen and lahti.
Filppula is only one of those whos PP and puck handeling skills are at WHC level but is he good enough in 5v5 game and defensively i dont know.

Olli Jokinen would help our center situation very much but its very unlikely that he would come.

So here is my lineup for WHC we dont most likely get many NHL but lets see.

Salminen - Kontiola - T.Ruutu
V.Filppula - I.Filppula/Ramstedt - Hagman/Jormakka (he can suprise this years kiiskinen mayby?)
Osala - Hytönen/Kapanen - Aaltonen
Pihlström - Hytönen/kapanen/Koskiranta/Wirtanen/lahti - Anttila/Savinainen

Hietanen - Mäenpää
V.Lajunen - Kousa/Lepistö/NHL?
Melart - Väänänen
Kukkonen - Othtamaa/Jaakola
+ Joonas Järvinen can mayby get place in somewhere in the lineup if hes healthy and not in AHL playoffs

Goalies: Rinne - Raanta - Metsola/Ortio/Engren

and extra forwards: two of anttila/savinainen/jormakka/koskiranta depending how we get from NHL and if injuries happens.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Lehterä and Niskala are both out due to injuries. Niskala's a much bigger loss than Lehterä at this point.
It will be quite interesting though to see who makes it in Niskala's stead. Hietanen and Mäenpää will probably be shoo-ins by now, but there's still room for two more OMD. There isn't much coming from NHL's way. Timonen is the only possible.

I'd say Ville Lajunen looks a probable after having a good EHT in Sweden. Also, could Ristolainen rise to the occasion?

And while he's not exactly OD, I'd say Janne Jalasvaara looks right now like a player who deserves to be in this team. I'd definitely take him at least ahead of Kukkonen and Jaakola. Väänänen naturally is in, and Melart looks like he might play a slot for himself. Ohtamaa is very likely a filler.

Kontiola is our only elite euro center now and will most likely be our 1st line center but after him we have I.filppula, ramstedt, hytönen, kapanen(if he wants to come), immonen, koskiranta, wirtanen and lahti.
Filppula is only one of those whos PP and puck handeling skills are at WHC level but is he good enough in 5v5 game and defensively i dont know.
I'd say Immonen is still pretty reliable. He was in a slouch last year but has now bounced back somewhat. And Kapanen is even more capable (if he bothers to show up).

Also, Ramstedt was in great form in SKA under Jalonen.

In fact, if we measure NT duties from this season, Lehterä has been pretty weak, showing no aptitude of grasping Jalonen's game plan. Six games with 0+1 and -3 is not acceptable from a supposed elite centre. And Barkov's NT showings as of right now are exactly none. There's no point in pining after a player who could be great or bust (at this stage of his career).

I.Filppula is probably getting nowhere near this team, or he'd be on the camp already.

I'd say we're currently looking at a foursome of Kontiola - Immonen/Kapanen - Ramstedt - Wirtanen/Hytönen. Which is not bad. Could be better, but not bad.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
So Lehterä and Niskala are injured:( month a go center looked our strongest position now because Lehteräs and Barkovs injuries its other way around.

Olli Jokinen would help our center situation very much but its very unlikely that he would come.

So here is my lineup for WHC we dont most likely get many NHL but lets see.

Salminen - Kontiola - T.Ruutu
V.Filppula - I.Filppula/Ramstedt - Hagman/Jormakka (he can suprise this years kiiskinen mayby?)
Osala - Hytönen/Kapanen - Aaltonen
Pihlström - Hytönen/kapanen/Koskiranta/Wirtanen/lahti - Anttila/Savinainen

Hietanen - Mäenpää
V.Lajunen - Kousa/Lepistö/NHL?
Melart - Väänänen
Kukkonen - Othtamaa/Jaakola
+ Joonas Järvinen can mayby get place in somewhere in the lineup if hes healthy and not in AHL playoffs

Goalies: Rinne - Raanta - Metsola/Ortio/Engren

and extra forwards: two of anttila/savinainen/jormakka/koskiranta depending how we get from NHL and if injuries happens.

jeez that looks awful. Really hope we get some nhl players.

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
if we have pekka rinne in net he can win us games by himself. hopefully him and raanta can play under home crowd presure unlike lehtonen and vehanen...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad