Team defense

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Don't kid yourself, all NHL teams would still want Chabot if they had the space. Chabot isn't the problem, our team defence is.

I think a LOT of teams are hoping and waiting on the Sens wanting to make changes... They cursed like crazy when Dorion got fired though

a #3/4 D man. One who is a defensive liability. Often injured.. Does not score (or produce offense) at an elite level.

will be owed 10 m, 10 m, 10 m and 8 m.. all the while his AAV is 8 M..

If indeed he is in demand.... Then go... orchestrate the traded ASAP. Get what you can.

I'm sorry but anybody saying Chabot is not a top pairing D-man can't be taken seriously... It's like saying Spezza was a 3rd line Center...

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I think a LOT of teams are hoping and waiting on the Sens wanting to make changes... They cursed like crazy when Dorion got fired though

Anybody saying Chabot is not a top pairing D-man can't be taken seriously... It's like saying Spezza was a 3rd line Center...
Sorry but Spezza was a top line centre significantly more than Chabot is a top pairing D

Reactions: Alex1234

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sorry but Spezza was a top line centre significantly more than Chabot is a top pairing D

Chabot is 2nd in TOI/GP since 2018-19 among all NHL players (Doughty is first) and 17th in PPG. He was 21 years old in 2018-19

He's not perfect (like every player) but he has had terrible linemates (like Zaitsev) and went through a whole rebuild lead by people like Melnyk, Dorion and DJ Smith...

Send him to an healthy organization and watch him go

And Spezza was not very good defensively. Chabot has better advanced stats than Spezza had

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The only one who seems to shine in our "system" is Zub. Doesn't panic, finds some quick short passes that get us out of trouble. Having said that, he was way out of position on the first goal.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Agreed. But last night, they seemed to move the puck very effectively when they gained possession in their own zone. At least in the 1st period, they always managed to exit the zone with control, which made for a better offensive zone entry, as they moved up the ice as a unit. Yet they still managed to allow some dangerous shots against and Forsberg was a sieve. I’m at the no-more-excuses stage like most here, but I was encouraged by their play against the islanders.
They collapsed in the 2nd period though allowing three goals in about 3 minutes. They looked flat in the 3rd period as well and couldn't generate anything. They can look good for 20 or 30 minutes in a game (like last night), but the game is 60 minutes long.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think the most reasonable solution is to dismiss the coaching staff or at least DJ, Cap, Payne, and then bring up Bell as interim until the GM is hired.

That way you don’t need to bring in a temp guy from outside the organization

Reactions: Bileur

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Team defense has been an issue for years. Mike Reilly who was/is shit played like a top-4 D on the Bruins. This is not a personnel issue.
On the Providence Bruins he was, not for Boston, their fans wanted him punted after half a season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Don't kid yourself, all NHL teams would still want Chabot if they had the space. Chabot isn't the problem, our team defence is.
Sounds like coaching is the problem.

Islanders 4th goal last night .. 6 seconds after the Islanders took a 3-1 lead on the PP; No time out; not taking care of the puck; getting drawn out of position; not making a save on a stoppable puck. It all starts with Chychrun here at the face off at center.

Chychrun trys to take the puck on a won draw with one hand and gets stripped .. this puck should have been the Sens
View attachment 773120
Isles take it. Chychrun has taken himself out of positionView attachment 773121
JBD comes over to attack the puck carrier leaving Lee open behind him
View attachment 773122
Lee shoots it from here and scores short side
View attachment 773123
Amateur high risk play by Chychrun!
Bad goaltending!
Equals 1GA

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So how much better on paper that group is :

Drew Doughty (soon 34 y/o)
Mikey Anderson
Matt Roy
Vladislav Gavrikov
Jordan Spence
Andreas Englund
Cam Talbot
Pheonix Copley

vs this group :

Thomas Chabot
Jakob Chychrun
Jake Sanderson
Artem Zub
Erik Brannstrom
Travis Hamonic
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Joonas Korpisalo
Anton Forsberg

What about this group :

Quinn Hughes
Filip Hronek
Ian Cole
Tyler Myers
Carson Soucy
Noah Juulsen
Mark Friedman
Thatcher Demko
Casey DeSmith

And yet, these teams give up 1 less goal per game on average, which is gigantic

What about Gustav Forsling, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Niko Mikkola, Dmitry Kulikov, Uvis Balinskis, Josh Mahura, Sergei Bobrovsky and Anthony Stolarz?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wondercarrot

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think the most reasonable solution is to dismiss the coaching staff or at least DJ, Cap, Payne, and then bring up Bell as interim until the GM is hired.

That way you don’t need to bring in a temp guy from outside the organization
I don't think Bell is the guy. A young Jacques Martin would do nicely. Claude Julien?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Like, as a person? Hockey player? Both?

I can get behind all three options, I just want to make sure we're clear.
all-of-the-above-all-of-them.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad