Apr 27, 2010
At 5v5

6th in SA/60
12 in SCA/60
17th in xGA/60
22nd in HDCA/60

11th most DZ giveaways.
7th worst sv%

Chychrun Brannstrom and Giroux leading the way in DZ giveaways (raw not per 60), not who I expected to see.

Both the eye test and the stats support DZ giveaways as a significant contributor to our poor sv% and GA, and imo this isn't a talent issue, these guys can all move the puck.

This has been a problem for a few seasons now, DJ needs to clean this up asap, but outside of that, I think we're keeping chances down, we typically defend the rush well, I would like to see us adjust how we defend shots from the point as I find were allowing high slot deflection.

Reactions: Flamingo

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
At 5v5

6th in SA/60
12 in SCA/60
17th in xGA/60
22nd in HDCA/60

11th most DZ giveaways.
7th worst sv%

Chychrun Brannstrom and Giroux leading the way in DZ giveaways (raw not per 60), not who I expected to see.

Both the eye test and the stats support DZ giveaways as a significant contributor to our poor sv% and GA, and imo this isn't a talent issue, these guys can all move the puck.

This has been a problem for a few seasons now, DJ needs to clean this up asap, but outside of that, I think we're keeping chances down, we typically defend the rush well, I would like to see us adjust how we defend shots from the point as I find were allowing high slot deflection.
I was noticing that Chycrhrun was definitely creating turnovers the last game. He scored so I thought that might obscure his performance in other areas.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
At 5v5

6th in SA/60
12 in SCA/60
17th in xGA/60
22nd in HDCA/60

11th most DZ giveaways.
7th worst sv%

Chabot is the guy who will get shit on, regardless of what D are making mistakes

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
At 5v5

6th in SA/60
12 in SCA/60
17th in xGA/60
22nd in HDCA/60

11th most DZ giveaways.
7th worst sv%

What source are you using for the numbers? Moneypuck shows us 5th in the league for High Danger Shots Against and 9th in xGA/60.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
At 5v5

6th in SA/60
12 in SCA/60
17th in xGA/60
22nd in HDCA/60

11th most DZ giveaways.
7th worst sv%

If there was a heat map for where our giveaways occur that would have to be along the board

Reactions: Wondercarrot

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
At 5v5

6th in SA/60
12 in SCA/60
17th in xGA/60
22nd in HDCA/60

11th most DZ giveaways.
7th worst sv%

Maybe this week they'll work on actually tieing players up that are in the slot.

Chabot is the guy who will get shit on, regardless of what D are making mistakes
I shit on all of them thank you.

Reactions: chipsens and Cosmix

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
At 5v5

6th in SA/60
12 in SCA/60
17th in xGA/60
22nd in HDCA/60

11th most DZ giveaways.
7th worst sv%

Mental errors/panic move in the DZ plus goaltending I think
Really strange start to the season for other good D teams too since Carolina, Minni, NJ, LA have worst GA/G than us (or equal)
10th worst in the league in GA/G but our offence make up for it 5th best
Chychrun for me has been mehhh since the trade last year for me

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Chychrun had some struggles so that makes sense. He also makes some amazing plays. So he's one of those risk/reward type players.
I think the stat is unfair to Giroux. He is a pitbull out there and attacks every play. If he's losing possession, it's probably because he's making an extra effort to dig for a puck that he likely had no business even getting his stick on. Most players wouldn't even make the attempt. So I think that stat is not telling the full story with Giroux.
I was at Saturday's game and my wife asked me "Who is #6? He's really having a bad day."

Reactions: SpezDispenser

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
Chychrun had some struggles so that makes sense. He also makes some amazing plays. So he's one of those risk/reward type players.
I think the stat is unfair to Giroux. He is a pitbull out there and attacks every play. If he's losing possession, it's probably because he's making an extra effort to dig for a puck that he likely had no business even getting his stick on. Most players wouldn't even make the attempt. So I think that stat is not telling the full story with Giroux.
I was at Saturday's game and my wife asked me "Who is #6? He's really having a bad day."
I’ve been watching the games and to me it just seems like Giroux is behind on everything. Hopefully he’s just getting warmed up still

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
The shitting will increase. His contract has made him untradeable.

Years 5, 6 and 7 of his contract are 10 M true salary and 8 AAV. By year 8 he is back to 8 and 8.

f*** this team and penny pinching. They are not smart enough to make all contracts back diving!!!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They have to be much better defensively as a team, they have plenty of offence, but need to improve on the defensive side & be much harder to play against & not give the opposition so much ice.

Reactions: Cosmix

Defensefirst

Nov 6, 2022
Anyone who blows the zone on a shift in which we get scored on should get benched a shift or two, too many cherry pickers on this team. Jimmy's ears are burning, Reward good defense with more ice time, punish bad defense with the bench.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Has DJs team ever performed above their talent level? Always seems to be below.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Looks like Mantipalo and Kleven will be called up (nothing official, just based on Belleville scratches

Chychrun-JBD
Sanderson-Hamonic
Kleven-Mantipalo

Yikes. I hope Kleven shook off the rust, he looked good last year but preseason wasnt inspiring.

I'm curious to see Mantipalo, he showed some promise in preseason, and that 3rd pair has great size

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007

He gets an unfair amount of hate, not that his play doesn't deserve it - but he has simply been mishandled in his early years. All those years of getting way too much ice time has turned him into a "one-speed" defenseman. When you're playing 30 minutes a night you don't use your burst unless absolutely necessary and that has been engrained in his play.

He can be fixed, but it will take time and proper coaching - along with normal minutes. He is not a Chris Pronger or Shea Weber, he's not designed for this type of useage.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He gets an unfair amount of hate, not that his play doesn't deserve it - but he has simply been mishandled in his early years. All those years of getting way too much ice time has turned him into a "one-speed" defenseman. When you're playing 30 minutes a night you don't use your burst unless absolutely necessary and that has been engrained in his play.

He can be fixed, but it will take time and proper coaching - along with normal minutes. He is not a Chris Pronger or Shea Weber, he's not designed for this type of useage.
I don't really believe much of that. Sure there are times when you don't have the energy to go all out rushing the puck. But do you really think that's been Chabot's issue the past few years? Chabot's issue seems to be a lack of hockey IQ. He flat out makes too many bonehead plays and decisions to be an 8 AAV defenceman. That's got nothing to do ice time. I also sometimes question his strength

Chabot rushes or otherwise carries the puck a lot. And he does it well. He also makes decent decisions at the O blue line, dumping it deep when he can't gain the zone and gaining the zone when he can. That's not the problem with him. Carrying the puck isn't the issue. It's literally everything else other than carrying the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad