Team defense

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't think Bell is the guy. A young Jacques Martin would do nicely. Claude Julien?
He’s just temporary and already in the organization. You can’t really hire an outside coach to be interim until the GM is fired.

Doesn’t Julien already have a job?

I doubt we could run serious interviews, and expect to bring in top level talent if the job has an interim label pending the hiring of that coaches boss, who presumably would want to make his own decisions in regards to the coach and team.

If the coaching staff has to go, we need to make an internal choice the interim guy.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Islanders 4th goal last night .. 6 seconds after the Islanders took a 3-1 lead on the PP; No time out; not taking care of the puck; getting drawn out of position; not making a save on a stoppable puck. It all starts with Chychrun here at the face off at center.

Chychrun trys to take the puck on a won draw with one hand and gets stripped .. this puck should have been the Sens
View attachment 773120
Isles take it. Chychrun has taken himself out of positionView attachment 773121
JBD comes over to attack the puck carrier leaving Lee open behind him
View attachment 773122
Lee shoots it from here and scores short side
View attachment 773123
Your breakdown is spot on but man sometimes you need a save. That goal goes short side.

Here's what Forsberg said about it

“I should have had (the fourth goal),” he said. “I need to make a few saves”

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Team defense has been an issue for years. Mike Reilly who was/is shit played like a top-4 D on the Bruins. This is not a personnel issue.
Interesting. Then why did the Bruins buy him out? Based on his play here, he got a 3*3 contract in Boston. And they bought him out.

Reactions: aragorn

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
a #3/4 D man. One who is a defensive liability. Often injured.. Does not score (or produce offense) at an elite level.

will be owed 10 m, 10 m, 10 m and 8 m.. all the while his AAV is 8 M..

If indeed he is in demand.... Then go... orchestrate the traded ASAP. Get what you can.
Chabot isn't injured that often. The guy has been a stalwart for us. He's been asked to do a lot with little support. He is still the best D we have until Sanderson is more well developed. Chycrhun is a great D, but sometimes he makes some rookie mistakes that concern me. I need to see more out of our entire D-core and more out of our team in terms of defence and support. The forwards need to come back. Like there other games we've shit the bed, our team was too spread out against the Islanders. We need to take care of our zones and the puck a lot better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and Xspyrit

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Chabot isn't injured that often. The guy has been a stalwart for us. He's been asked to a lot with little support. He is still the best D we have until Sanderson is more well developed. Chycrhun is a great D, but sometimes he makes some rookie mistakes that concern me. I need to see more out of our entire D-core and more out of our team in terms of defence and support. The forwards need to come back. Like there other games we've shit the bed, our team was too spread out against the Islanders. We need to take care of our zones and the puck a lot better.
spend time on capfriendly.

from 2024/2025 onwards the Sens will be a cap team, and be paying a solid 5-10 M a year more in true salary.

All the while, odds are good that this team, this year (2023/2024), will miss the playoffs and by March will endure a season of 16-17 K attendance.

A huge recession is taking hold, so in 2024-2025 the 16-17 K will remain. The 90-95 M true salary will kick in....

The Chabots (and Bathersons) are going to be boat anchors.

On the ice.. I return to the same question. Is Chabot a 10 M Dman?..because, as of this year, he is more or less that.. The previous 3 years Chabot has been playing at a ~ 5 M salary level, which was his true take home pay.

• Haha
Reactions: BondraTime

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Only in Ottawa could a guy scoring at a 68 point pace over the past 2 full seasons plus this one, 144 games, at less than 5 million on the cap be called a boat anchor, at 25 years old, with another 3 years of an absolute bargain contract.

Teams would be all over the Sens looking for Batherson if they could get him. He's the polar opposite of a boat anchor, he's the type of player cap strapped teams look for :laugh:

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
If only we had Coach Winnfield ...

Untitled.png

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bobby Ryan said on coming in hot today that he spoke to Rick Tocchet about hist time coaching in Arizona, and he told him that for the first year and a half, all he did was D zone drills, nothing in the OZ.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I've been really happy with the way JBD has played lately, got rewarded with a goal, but more importantly, he's gained the coaches trust (something that's easier said than done), is killing penalties and might have done enough to push Hamonic to being the odd man out whenever Chabot is back. Great to see as I've always seen him as a piece of our bottom 4 moving forward long term, but the fact that we have him playing with Sanderson against the Matthews and Nylander line no less is a testament to how far he's come along.

Of note, Hamonic didn't kill any of the penalty to Greig, we went with Sandy and JBD for one unit, Brannstrom and Zub for the other. If the coach has shifted away from Hamonic on the PK, I don't see much keeping him in the lineup, which is good news for JBD's future imo. I had thought DJ's love of Hammer on the PK would make for tough decisions, but this clears the way to actually icing what I consider the best roster.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That is a good chart. Mainly because it aligns with my perception of how the players have looked.
Jason Paul twitter had put up one of these for the habs showing line performance. I asked him for one for the Sens and he gave me those 2.
It would be nice to get one in a couple of months to see any changes. Nice to see Batherson in that cluster with Giroux and Stutzle. Also the outliers really stand out.
I would like to get one of the line combos but I guess I have to be happy with what I got.

https://twitter.com/WaveIntel
1702746904802.png

Reactions: Cosmix and Dionysus

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Imagine having a real D coach

Paul Coffey
From an interview in the athletic

“I told our D from Day 1, the only thing I expect is plays. If you can’t make them, we’ll get somebody else. It’s plain and simple. I’m not here to make friends. I’m here to make them better. If you can’t make the plays, just put your hand up and tell me. We’ll get somebody else who can. That’s nice, right?”​

Last edited:

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
This says it all so far as I'm concerned. This is the Blues 4th goal. Note it is a 3 on 5..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231217_153224_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217_153224_YouTube.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 3

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
This says it all so far as I'm concerned. This is the Blues 4th goal. Note it is a 3 on 5..
Looks like 3 on 3 to me, the 2 high wingers are/were covering the 2 point men.
Think you need a better example, probably lots to choose from.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Looks like 3 on 3 to me, the 2 high wingers are/were covering the 2 point men.
Think you need a better example, probably lots to choose from.
Go watch the highlights. It's off the rush. It's a prime example of poor defensive zone coverage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad